What's new

Any "Finding Nemo" Reviewers out there? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My theory on the excellence of the Pixar screenplays:

These guys have little choice but to spend a LOT of production time on these movies. Even IF they wanted to slap a movie together in a hurry, they couldn't. (Well I guess they COULD but then they wouldn't be Pixar.)

Since the animation work takes months and months, it affords the screenwriters so much more time to hone their script and make sure everything works to their satisfaction. Jokes, character touches, etc., etc.

The results? I don't know of many movie studios that boast a track record like A Bug's Life, Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc.. These guys aren't just four for four.

They're four for four with three home runs, a triple, and 15 runs batted in.

Another Pixar classic is just what I'm in the mood for right now. Can't wait to see it.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
From a review by David Poland:
In the end, Finding Nemo is like a great foreign film, its visual and energy having such clarity that subtitles (or words or stories) are almost unnecessary. I suspect that kids, so often looking for the hottest thrill and the great moment, will find an unexpected peacefulness to this film, making it one of the great repeat viewing movies of the summer.
Complete non-spoiler review here.

Another review just in - with some spoilers here.

derek

Second Unit
Anyone know why Disney did not open 'Finding Nemo' on Memorial Day weekend and delayed it a week??? Why miss the holiday crowd with this surefire family hit?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Derek,
That's a good ? I am sure they have their reasons...perhaps Bruce Almighty had it before.

I don't think it'll make a difference. Nemo will make money all summer long.

I agree with the above sentiments. Pixar just does everything better, but at the core is very solid storytelling. Scott's right...they don't make good films, they make great films, EVERY TIME!

It's guaranteed bang for your buck. Cinema is usually incapable of that.

I can't wait for this film.

Take care,
Chuck

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I think they waited a week to maximize available screens. The film will be playing all summer long.. probably coming fairly close to Matrix in the final totals (keeping in mind the overwhelming children's tickets sold for Nemo). $$$ really don't mean much anymore. I think there should be a body count instead.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
My 4 year old is very excited to see it and we'll take my 2 year old as well. He's been to several movies and usually sits still longer than his older sister. He sat and watched most of Broadway Melody of 1940 for that matter and laughed a bunch at the "Our Gang" short.

Me, I don't know. The TS movies are great, but I didn't care for Bug's Life or Monster's Inc.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Time Magzine has an article by Richard Corliss along with a bunch of stills. Not exactly a review, but some minor spoilers are in the story.

David.N

Agent
Does anyone appreciate 2D disney movies anymore? The Lion King(1994) was the last new 2D movie I've seen. Since Toy Story in (1995) I can't go back....

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone appreciate 2D disney movies anymore?
Well, if you want to get technical, Pixar movies aren't Disney movies. Also, since Beauty and the Beast, Disney has been using CGI in their films, either to fix up the images or for full scenes (like the ballroom sequence in BatB).

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I have nothing against traditional, 2D animation. Spirited Away was fantastic, and I really enjoyed Lilo and Stitch. It's mostly that in the US though most of the best and most animators have gone to CGI houses like Pixar and Dreamworks. It's nto that 3D is inherently better then 2D, 2D movies liek Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, and Spirited Away prove that, it's just that here at least all the good ones are workign on 3D. I don't skip most new Disney movies because they're 2D, I skip them because most of them suck.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
They probably wanted to get away from the Matrix juggernaut. Can't blame them. The movie is rated R, but at my screening a good number of the audience was preteens.

--
Holadem

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Talk about dilemmas! If I had to choose right now between watching an advanced screening of Finding Nemo or sleeping with Salma Hayek, I'd... well, I'd bang Salma of course, but I'd make her dress up like a fish.

OK, that's it for two-day old Thai leftovers.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They probably wanted to get away from the Matrix juggernaut. Can't blame them. The movie is rated R, but at my screening a good number of the audience was preteens.
I started working at a theater on Friday, and I saw people bringing their little kids (one lady even had a carriage) into Matrix Reloaded.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Yes, we had a baby crying through most of Matrix Reloaded. Grrr.

Didn't hear any cellphones though. That was a nice change.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
David: if you've not experienced Lilo & Stitch, I would HIGHLY reccomend it. And I view 2d animation the same way I look at 3d,, same as live action, and the use of 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 aspect ratios... it's all a matter of artistic preference. Just because 3d can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. The best option for the conveyance of the story and the artistic ideals of the director should be what is done.

It's like the color vs. black and white debate which raged when Man Who Wasn't There. There were some who viewed the utilization of (imho beautiful) black and white cinematography as a needless step into the past. I thought it was a great cinematic step into the understanding of the power choices can make. But those are just my opinions, take them for what they are worth.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Should they just give this film the Best Animated Film Oscar right now? It seems like it's going to get it anyways.

So in the first 3 years of the category being around, 2 CGI films and an anime film will have won. A little sad for the traditional animation industry in America, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks