What's new
World Wide Stereo

Anthem AVM-20 THX and THX Ultra2 Question. Please Help (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Do you other AMV-20 owners know if you can select just THX processing for DD 5.1?

What I want is to not use THX Ultra2 for some movies. If a movie is only 5.1, I want to listen to it in 5.1. If I watch it with THX Ultra 2, it sends the signal to all 7 speakers. But, I'd like to have the Re-EQ and Timber matching of THX on the DD 5.1. The manual seems to say this is possible, but I can only turn THX Ultra 2 on and off. So does this mean that THX is automaticly on and all you do when turn on and off ULTRA2 is switch it from THX to THX Ultra2?

Same thing with DTX ES titles, I'd like to switch between Ultra2 and regular THX. Is that possible, or should I have ultra2 on for DTS ES movies?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

If you press the THX button on the AVM-20's remote, you get the THX Ultra 2 yes/no toggle (for a 7.1 setup). Pressing the THX button a second time while in the THX menus displays the THX "mode" menu, which contains THX Ultra 2 Cinema, THX MusicMode (Ultra 2), THX Surround EX, and THX Cinema.

Selecting THX Cinema will produce 5.1 output for DD5.1 and DTS-5.1 sources, adding Re-EQ and Timbre Matching. Pressing the THX button a third time within the THX menus allows you to toggle Re-EQ on/off. Whatever selection is made for Re-EQ applies to all THX modes.

Michael

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My question is have you guys heard a big difference when turning on/off THX mode. Because, on a Kenwood VR-5080, I didn't hear any changes when turning THX on/off while playing a DD5.1 movie.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
There can be a very significant difference, with THX taking the sharp sonic edge off of some sound tracks. Personally, I leave it off most of the time unless the brightness of the sound track calls attention to itself. Then I will experiment with the various THX options.

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks