What's new

Another Newbie Man Cave question (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If he's going to swing the TV out so it is parallel with the couch, I'd make a front stage hold the subs. A quality 12" could pressurize that entire room.

jus10

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
The KEF T speakers look interesting -- were you recommending the 105, 205, or 305 packages? I'll try to find somewhere locally to listen to them. Are there others you'd suggest I compare them to?

I am going to swing the TV out so it is parallel with the couch. The angle of the wall in the room does not feel nearly as oblique as it appears on the diagram above, so it won't be out a huge distance.

We don't have a lot of floor space, so I'm going to have to try to go with a sub with a smaller footprint. I can try to put it in a stage under the TV, but It probably is going to have to go into the left corner.

Robert_J, you mentioned the Pioneer AVR. Is there one in particular I should look at?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was recommending KEF T. The variation you get, is the variation you get.The Pioneer(Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon) you get should be predicated on your needs and sources...Which are?

jus10

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
schan1269 said:
I was recommending KEF T. The variation you get, is the variation you get.The Pioneer(Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon) you get should be predicated on your needs and sources...Which are?
HDTV running AppleTV, Roku, and Blu-Ray. Will probably send music over via the Apple TV as well. No console games, but I might play PC games via Airplay on the Apple TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo SR333.(not networked. Onkyo network models are NR. Does have Bluetooth though for direct cell phone/ipod or computer pairing)You don't need a networked AVR unless you want "an app to run it".Good Pioneer app starts at the 1123/1124.Onkyo apps are the same on all models(features change, app stays the same)Yamaha has a great app. Aventage are more flexible than HTR/RX-V.Denon, like Onkyo, same app...features change.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Buying a receiver is like buying a car - you have a few big named companies with similar models, different features, different names and different price points. That's like going to a forum and asking about cars. We recommend a Ford Mustang in your price range. Then you say, "how will I carry around my 8 kids?" You have to think about sources connected to it, features you want, how you will use it and any near term upgrades you want to make.

I researched for 2 years before I started buying equipment for my room. It then took another year to buy everything and install it. During that time it went from a storage room to a real room and three different paint colors. My wife changed her mind half way through the painting of color number 2 so that wasn't so bad.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Exactly like Robert said...My AVR needs aren't your needs.I need...HDMI upconversion for VHS, Wii, LD etc.Pre amp outputs(preouts) to run external amps.For me, on a modern AVR, to get those requires an AVR with...Zone 2/B. Which I only use that on one of my 5 AVR (yes, 5).Networking. 4 of my 5* AVR are used with either a PC or an iPad with the AV adapter.* one house has 4. The 2nd house has 1. The 2nd house is a small house nestled on a river..."the weekend house". That AVR is soon to be paired with a region free LG BP530. Choosing that one specifically for its inclusion of Spotify and vtuner. My "tv channels" are covered in that house by a laptop logged into Directv.So...your AVR choice is dictated by your use.In your case, you have networking covered. You also don't need HDMI upconversion. No need for Zone 2/B.You are left with...Need/want Bluetooth?Want an AVR remote pre-set to run the ATV?Want a front USB/HDMI for some reason?All three of those exist on the Onkyo NR626 from last year.

jus10

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
A friend recommended getting something from the Denon line (X2000? X3000?) which have integrated Airplay, since that's I how I broadcast music throughout the house already. Anyone have any experience with those AVRs?

(Thank you for all your very thoughtful advice so far)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jus10 said:
A friend recommended getting something from the Denon line (X2000? X3000?) which have integrated Airplay, since that's I how I broadcast music throughout the house already. Anyone have any experience with those AVRs? (Thank you for all your very thoughtful advice so far)
Anything Airplay brings to the table, you have covered(and then some) with the ATV.AVR networking does not do video.

jus10

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

jus10

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm about to go out of town -- I will do more research in early September, make some decisions, and get back to you with how things turned out.

jus10

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
I've had a chance to listen to the KEF Ts at a showroom in San Francisco, and I wasn't impressed. They seemed a little dead to my ears. My research has identified Definitive Technology XTR and Monitor Audio Shadow as reasonable alternatives. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.