What's new

Another big run series is reportedly on the way (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Gary OS said:
My crystal ball says the same.

Gary "loving me some westerners" O.
Say, that wouldn't be a hint about a particular Four-Star series in your self-quote (emphasis mine), would it, Gary?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Say, that wouldn't be a hint about a particular Four-Star series in your self-quote (emphasis mine), would it, Gary?
No, unfortunately it wasn't a hint. Just bad spelling. I meant to say "westerns", not "westerners". Sorry about that. I'm not aware of an imminent announcement of that Brian Keith series coming to dvd.

Gary "that would be a nice release though" O.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
smithbrad said:
No, not based on its accomplishments, or in a forum such as this filled with hobbyist; but to the majority of the general public it is, in my opinion. For all the effort that they appear to be expending on it, a straight DVD deal wouldn't seem like the best option. Which is why I made the caveat that if it is true then I could see an entity like Encore behind it, like they did with the Virginian. I hope it is Encore because then it would be an easy capture.
It isn't, especially for baby boomers. Because Ronald Reagan hosted it during part of its run, it is by no means obscure. Nothing with that many episodes is obscure. One-season shows, yes, but not something that ran for years and years and years.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Susan Nunes_329977 said:
It isn't, especially for baby boomers. Because Ronald Reagan hosted it during part of its run, it is by no means obscure. Nothing with that many episodes is obscure. One-season shows, yes, but not something that ran for years and years and years.
Yes, it ran for 18 years. Of course it ended its run almost 44 years ago. Ronald Reagan hosted it for what one year (64-65) and that was before really getting into politics. I don't recall it in syndication, do we even know when it was last syndicated, if ever, and where? Neil said "long unavailable in any form".

I'm 53 (a late baby-boomer) and I never heard of it until this forum, and even here it has barely ever been discussed. Was it obscure at the time, of course not. But does this title have anywhere near the same name recognition as the many titles that are constantly discussed on this forum ever day from the same period (or even earlier)? Hardly. Why, because these other titles have been in constant syndication.

I'm not trying to disparage it in anyway because I'm sure it is a worthy title based on how long it ran. But, I still think it is a distant memory for some and unknown to most at this point due to lack of availability, and that is why in my opinion it is now an obscure title. A run on something like Encore could change that to a degree. We will have to wait and see.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
DEATH VALLEY DAYS was syndicated during its entire eighteen year run and continued in syndicated reruns after that. However, it's been largely out of circulation since the mid-seventies and thus may be obscure to anyone under forty. Being syndicated, perhaps it didn't air in selected cities. But was certainly a Saturday night staple on KHOU-TV for this Houstonian growing up in the sixties and early seventies and certainly isn't obscure to me. It's also notable for probably being the last thing Robert Taylor ever did, as he replaced Ronald Reagan and hosted the show until the year he died. Dale Robertson took over after that, as I recall.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Rob_Ray said:
DEATH VALLEY DAYS was syndicated during its entire eighteen year run and continued in syndicated reruns after that. However, it's been largely out of circulation since the mid-seventies and thus may be obscure to anyone under forty. Being syndicated, perhaps it didn't air in selected cities. But was certainly a Saturday night staple on KHOU-TV for this Houstonian growing up in the sixties and early seventies and certainly isn't obscure to me. It's also notable for probably being the last thing Robert Taylor ever did, as he replaced Ronald Reagan and hosted the show until the year he died. Dale Robertson took over after that, as I recall.
Everyone keeps saying I hosted this show but I wasn't born until 1973! (my real name is Ronald Reagan btw) :D

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Professor Echo said:
I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season. I was lucky to sell off my TOMBSTONE TERRITORY Season One!Would also love the rest of the BURKE'S to come out, but just picked up S1 so am hoping no exclusive Complete set on that one too.Gary, focus your crystal ball and influence its findings on my behalf. Thanks.
I must have looked at a dozen Walmarts, never found the complete Tombstone Territory.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Moe Dickstein said:
Yeah, I'm 34 and never heard of this show until this thread. If you said "DVD" to me I'd think Dick Van Dyke Show ;)
I'm somewhat older, but I have no memory of ever seeing it or being aware that it was on tv (I do recall watching Gunsmoke on Sunday nights and seeing Maverick in reruns). I had heard of it before in connection with Reagan's career and that's about it.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
While we're on the subject of TV westerns, can anyone explain to me why it is in the western shows from the 50's-early 60's, sheriffs and marshals are usually portrayed by out of shape senior citizens? I doubt these were the people in charge of maintaining law and order in the real wild west. How did this fictional convention start and why?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
perhaps because older people are generally wiser.

and if the show wanted to portray a sheriff who used his brains more than his brawn, they picked an older guy, like sheriff coffey from bonanza, to play the part.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
When the main character is the sheriff/marshal as in Gunsmoke, Johnny Ringo, Tombstone Territory, and Wyatt Earp they cast a young strong lead. So it could just be that in a supporting role they wanted more of a character actor and not someone that would compete for the attention. Even with Lawman Russell was only 37 and made himself look older for the part.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Moe Dickstein said:
Yeah, I'm 34 and never heard of this show until this thread. If you said "DVD" to me I'd think Dick Van Dyke Show ;)
The only part of "this" DVD I remember, of sorts is the commercial mentioned. (However many) mule team Borax.But...was that a commercial after this show ended?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I grew up watching lots of TV in 70's but don't ever remember Death Valley Days being shown then. If it was I didn't watch it but I was really into TV then and remember most of what was on so I don't think it was shown at that time. I have heard of the show for a long time but have never seen it or had the opportunity to see it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
I grew up watching lots of TV in 70's but don't ever remember Death Valley Days being shown then. If it was I didn't watch it but I was really into TV then and remember most of what was on so I don't think it was shown at that time. I have heard of the show for a long time but have never seen it or had the opportunity to see it.
That's exactly my experience.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Professor Echo said:
While we're on the subject of TV westerns, can anyone explain to me why it is in the western shows from the 50's-early 60's, sheriffs and marshals are usually portrayed by out of shape senior citizens? I doubt these were the people in charge of maintaining law and order in the real wild west. How did this fictional convention start and why?
I've noticed that a lot also, not just in TV western episodes, but in older B-westerns from the 1930s and '40s. Sometimes I've looked up the ages of the actors who played them and was stunned to find out they were only in their 40s or 50s at the time but looked much older. My guess is that there was a certain stable of actors who were dependable and worked cheap and were always on time and knew their lines and it was just easier to keep hiring them. Maybe they even had their own sheriff costumes in their closets so they didn't have to pay for costume fittings OR the costumes the studios had fit certain actors and they just hired those actors. There's usually a mundane reason like that behind such patterns.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Vic Pardo said:
I've noticed that a lot also, not just in TV western episodes, but in older B-westerns from the 1930s and '40s. Sometimes I've looked up the ages of the actors who played them and was stunned to find out they were only in their 40s or 50s at the time but looked much older. My guess is that there was a certain stable of actors who were dependable and worked cheap and were always on time and knew their lines and it was just easier to keep hiring them. Maybe they even had their own sheriff costumes in their closets so they didn't have to pay for costume fittings OR the costumes the studios had fit certain actors and they just hired those actors. There's usually a mundane reason like that behind such patterns.
Kind of like "Arthur Space" who always seemed to pop up as a Doctor in many of his supporting character appearances on shows like "Lassie" and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Space

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks