Another big run series is reportedly on the way

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil Brock, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Good question on the rights issue/hold-up. President Reagan's time on this show was relatively brief; he hosted 64-65 which was a dozen years into the run. I looked at the imdb cast lists for a sampling of shows. It does look like a nice representation of familiar character actors who graced 50s TV. Perhaps not household names, but familiar faces. I look forward to seeing this on Encore and hearing about any potential release.

Interestingly, Gene Autry and his Flying A Productions have a credit on this show. No idea how extensive their involvement was, but the Autry estate does have a good track record of maintaining his legacy.

Gary OS likes this.
  2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

BTW, when the show make the transistion to color?

3. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Great pick!! Very happy for my friend Gary who loves Great Classic TV from the golden age.

Gary OS likes this.
  4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks, Mark. This is especially nice news because westerns are my favorite overall genre where the 50's are concerned. I enjoy all the genres from that decade, but westerns in particular (as long as they aren't set bound) seem to really hit the spot for me. If we actually see this series come to dvd - and at this moment it appears to be an "if" and not necessarily a "when" - I'll pick up at least some of it.

Gary "this isn't a holy grail for me, but the genre alone makes it a must sample series" O.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I'll definately be trying this show if it comes to DVD. I have many western TV series but no Western Anthology series.

Professor Echo and Gary OS like this.
  6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Yes, except its not the original Borax people, the ones that produced the show. The company still exists but different ownership. The people who own it now have no connection to the show, emotionally or otherwise. And they are in the mining business, not television business. Pretty hard to get someone to deal with something that isn't their job or in their work description. Not to mention the fact that you are talking about what I'm sure is a multi-billion dollar company and a long ago TV show isn't high on the priority list.

Professor Echo likes this.
  7. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

It was black-and-white from Season 1 to Season 12 (1952-64) and went to color starting Season 13 (1964-65) and continued in color till its last season, #18 (1969-70).

Charles Ellis likes this.
  8. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Death Valley Days is quite a change of pace from most westerns. Being an anthology, it told different types of stories with different casts of actors every week. The strength was in the writing and the acting. Lots of good people in these shows. I have an old tape of the show with three episodes, one starring Robert Taylor (also one of the many series hosts), one starring Ronald Reagan (another series host) and one starring a pre-Rawhide Clint Eastwood. Some episodes had action scenes, many didn't. The protagonist sometimes died at the end. As far as I can tell from the seven episodes I saw, the show didn't seem to have a set formula, which, for me, is a good thing.

Gary OS, Professor Echo and Ockeghem like this.
  9. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I can't help but think of Borax whenever I think of Death Valley Days. We used that product in our home in the 1950s and 1960s. This was another of those shows that I watched periodically with my grandfather when I was very young.

Mark Collins likes this.
  10. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Amazing- don't they know that they are sitting on a potential moneymaking goldmine- and they're in the mining business!

11. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    This is one show where I definitely want the commercials, and since it's still owned by the sponsor, or its latter-day descendant, I hope we'll see them. Whenever I think of Rosemary deCamp, I don't think of "Love That Bob" or "That Girl" as much as I think of "Death Valley Days" with her telling us about the miracle of 20 Mule Team Borax.

I remember the show being fresh and original week after week, right up to the end. I'd love to collect several seasons worth of this one.

Richard V likes this.
  12. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    Completely agree with all of this and am loving this announcement for DEATH VALLEY DAYS. Westerns from that period are some of the most well written and produced programs in the history of the medium. They are largely underrated simply because there were so many of them during a relatively short span of time that it tended to dilute the genre, sometimes in terms of quality, but more in the general, uninformed assessments of latter day TV historians.

13. Professor Echo

Glen
    Randy, I highly recommend ZANE GREY THEATER for a very good example of a western anthology. Only one season released so far, but not very expensive.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I have heard of this one but not seen it either. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Professor Echo likes this.
  15. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    Agreed & this may be changing soon !

Professor Echo and Gary OS like this.
  16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

If the status of that Four Star title is changing soon then "Burke's Law" had better be just around the corner as well!

Steve...O likes this.
  17. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    My crystal ball says the same.

Gary "loving me some westerners" O.

Professor Echo and Ron1973 like this.
  18. Professor Echo

Glen
    I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season. I was lucky to sell off my TOMBSTONE TERRITORY Season One! Would also love the rest of the BURKE'S to come out, but just picked up S1 so am hoping no exclusive Complete set on that one too. Gary, focus your crystal ball and influence its findings on my behalf. Thanks.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  19. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    No need to worry about ZGT. My understanding is it will only be a season set release. And as for any influence... Oh, if only that were true! LOL

Gary "Timeless has a pulse, but it's not nearly as strong as it has been in the past thanks to the takeover" O.

20. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I would happily double dip on one season of Burke's law for the other half.

Jack K likes this.