What's new

Another big run series is reportedly on the way (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mark Collins said:
Great pick!! Very happy for my friend Gary who loves Great Classic TV from the golden age.
Thanks, Mark. This is especially nice news because westerns are my favorite overall genre where the 50's are concerned. I enjoy all the genres from that decade, but westerns in particular (as long as they aren't set bound) seem to really hit the spot for me. If we actually see this series come to dvd - and at this moment it appears to be an "if" and not necessarily a "when" - I'll pick up at least some of it.

Gary "this isn't a holy grail for me, but the genre alone makes it a must sample series" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Charles Ellis said:
You'd think with Reagan having been President and all it would have been put back into syndication and home video by now. Also, a lot of big names (including future stars in early roles) made guest appearances on Death Valley Days. Was there a rights issue preventing its release? Who actually owned the show- the Borax people?
Yes, except its not the original Borax people, the ones that produced the show. The company still exists but different ownership. The people who own it now have no connection to the show, emotionally or otherwise. And they are in the mining business, not television business. Pretty hard to get someone to deal with something that isn't their job or in their work description. Not to mention the fact that you are talking about what I'm sure is a multi-billion dollar company and a long ago TV show isn't high on the priority list.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Charles Ellis said:
BTW, when did the show make the transition to color?
It was black-and-white from Season 1 to Season 12 (1952-64) and went to color starting Season 13 (1964-65) and continued in color till its last season, #18 (1969-70).

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Jack P said:
Not a bit of interest in it. Westerns have never been my favorite genre and while I've come to like a number of titles, it's been very selective and with the completion of "The Big Valley" and "Maverick" imminent my days of blind buying any new westerns are over, especially one as massive as this. (I'll make an exception only if Warners releases "The Alaskans")
Death Valley Days is quite a change of pace from most westerns. Being an anthology, it told different types of stories with different casts of actors every week. The strength was in the writing and the acting. Lots of good people in these shows. I have an old tape of the show with three episodes, one starring Robert Taylor (also one of the many series hosts), one starring Ronald Reagan (another series host) and one starring a pre-Rawhide Clint Eastwood. Some episodes had action scenes, many didn't. The protagonist sometimes died at the end. As far as I can tell from the seven episodes I saw, the show didn't seem to have a set formula, which, for me, is a good thing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I can't help but think of Borax whenever I think of Death Valley Days. We used that product in our home in the 1950s and 1960s. This was another of those shows that I watched periodically with my grandfather when I was very young.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
Yes, except its not the original Borax people, the ones that produced the show. The company still exists but different ownership. The people who own it now have no connection to the show, emotionally or otherwise. And they are in the mining business, not television business. Pretty hard to get someone to deal with something that isn't their job or in their work description. Not to mention the fact that you are talking about what I'm sure is a multi-billion dollar company and a long ago TV show isn't high on the priority list.
Amazing- don't they know that they are sitting on a potential moneymaking goldmine- and they're in the mining business!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
This is one show where I definitely want the commercials, and since it's still owned by the sponsor, or its latter-day descendant, I hope we'll see them. Whenever I think of Rosemary deCamp, I don't think of "Love That Bob" or "That Girl" as much as I think of "Death Valley Days" with her telling us about the miracle of 20 Mule Team Borax.

I remember the show being fresh and original week after week, right up to the end. I'd love to collect several seasons worth of this one.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Gary OS said:
Thanks, Mark. This is especially nice news because westerns are my favorite overall genre where the 50's are concerned. I enjoy all the genres from that decade, but westerns in particular (as long as they aren't set bound) seem to really hit the spot for me. If we actually see this series come to dvd - and at this moment it appears to be an "if" and not necessarily a "when" - I'll pick up at least some of it. Gary "this isn't a holy grail for me, but the genre alone makes it a must sample series" O.
Completely agree with all of this and am loving this announcement for DEATH VALLEY DAYS. Westerns from that period are some of the most well written and produced programs in the history of the medium. They are largely underrated simply because there were so many of them during a relatively short span of time that it tended to dilute the genre, sometimes in terms of quality, but more in the general, uninformed assessments of latter day TV historians.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Randy Korstick said:
I'll definately be trying this show if it comes to DVD. I have many western TV series but no Western Anthology series.
Randy, I highly recommend ZANE GREY THEATER for a very good example of a western anthology. Only one season released so far, but not very expensive.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have heard of this one but not seen it either. Thanks for the reccomendation.
Professor Echo said:
Randy, I highly recommend ZANE GREY THEATER for a very good example of a western anthology. Only one season released so far, but not very expensive.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If the status of that Four Star title is changing soon then "Burke's Law" had better be just around the corner as well!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season. I was lucky to sell off my TOMBSTONE TERRITORY Season One! Would also love the rest of the BURKE'S to come out, but just picked up S1 so am hoping no exclusive Complete set on that one too. Gary, focus your crystal ball and influence its findings on my behalf. Thanks.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Professor Echo said:
I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season.Gary, focus your crystal ball and influence its findings on my behalf. Thanks.
No need to worry about ZGT. My understanding is it will only be a season set release. And as for any influence... Oh, if only that were true! LOL

Gary "Timeless has a pulse, but it's not nearly as strong as it has been in the past thanks to the takeover" O.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Professor Echo said:
I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season. I was lucky to sell off my TOMBSTONE TERRITORY Season One!Would also love the rest of the BURKE'S to come out, but just picked up S1 so am hoping no exclusive Complete set on that one too.Gary, focus your crystal ball and influence its findings on my behalf. Thanks.
I would happily double dip on one season of Burke's law for the other half.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Good news about Death Valley Days. I doubted we would ever see anything on this show - just hope it makes it to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks