1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

amp classes??????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyden, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Lyden

Lyden Well-Known Member

Hi All

ok ive been hearing about amp classes like some subs have class a/b amp and so on what is the differance?? and what type should a reciver have?? i think mine has class H or something is that good??? please any explination would be a great help to understanding this thank you.

2. Yogi

Yogi Well-Known Member

Class A - output devices always fully turned on. The full waveform is amplified by each output device. Very high transient response. Very low distortion. Very inefficient (typically less than 25%). High heat dissipation at idle. Most preferred by audiophiles. Only the most high-end single ended amps use this.
    Class B - Push pull type . output devices amplify opposite signs of the waveform in complimentry push pull style (one pushes one pulls). Cross over distorion when the signal crossesover from one device to the other. Low heat, better efficiency (typically around 70%).
    Class AB - Class A upto a certian point (watts) and then switches to Class B. Most amps and receivers fall into this category. Best compromise between the two types.
    Class C - I dont know[​IMG]
    Class D - Digital switching type. Use switching power supplies. Very efficient (more than 95%). Low power consumption low heat. Used mostly in PA systems and sub amps. There is some swithing noise but with the advent of modern high speed swithing devices the noise is pushed out into the extreme ultrasound which cant be perceived by human ear.
    Class H - Hybrid type. Two rail voltages one for low output and one for high output. Efficient design. Good at extreme ends of the volume range. Mid volume rail crossover distortion. Mostly used in Technics and some other receivers.
    Class G - I dont know.
    Also I dont know if there are some other types. Someone might be able to fill me in on that.

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Well-Known Member

I think that their is also an "h" class that isn used on lower end ss deigns. Technics uses "H" I think.

Lyden, this is not the kind of thing you should worry about. As long a the manf is competant, they can find a way to make all of these designs sing. PS Audios new digital amp for example. Sounds great.

Impressive rundown Yogi

-rob

4. Yogi

Yogi Well-Known Member

5. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Well-Known Member

If you're interested, here is a great article from the PS Audio site discussing the history of digital amplication and their current design. BTW, I have the HCA-2 and could not be happier. It makes my 804s sound amazing.
    http://www.psaudio.com/articles/sdat.asp
    Cheers, Brian

6. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Well-Known Member

Yogi gave a lot of good information. However, my monoblocks are Pure Class A, and they are NOT Single-Ended. They are Push-Pull / 100W Triode. I'm sure there are others...

Kevin

7. Yogi

Yogi Well-Known Member

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Well-Known Member

Greg
    Some additional areas for confusion:
    - Amplifier classes have nothing to do with Stereophile equipment recommended component ratings (Class A, B, or C rating).
    - Classé (pronounced 'class-ae') is an audio equipment manufacturer (who make various classes of amplifiers).

9. Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern Well-Known Member

10. ShaneH

ShaneH Well-Known Member

As far as I know class C amps are used only in RF communications, and modulation of the data/audio signal, and are not used in audio applications where the signal is not being transmitted. Just thought I would add this if anyone was interested.

11. Larry B

Larry B Well-Known Member

Yogi:

12. DonJ

DonJ Well-Known Member

So which call would an H/K AVR320 be in? I know that they are a 'High Current Amp' Which puts out the same amount of power at all volumes. But I wonder what the difference is between 'High Current' and Class A?

13. Rob Rodier

14. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Well-Known Member

'High Current' is not a amplifier design , it a marketing term....

15. Rob Rodier

16. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Well-Known Member

17. DonJ

DonJ Well-Known Member

Rob-

18. Yogi

Yogi Well-Known Member

19. Lyden

Lyden Well-Known Member

well heres the reall killer question about "high current" recivers. what is better a reciver with high current capability or just taking my 810s and getting some expensive amps for the pre outs?? more expensive but IMO since all u'll be using the reciver is decoding .. you coudl just use any decent reciver with all chanel pre outs and strap nice amps and get better sound then a "HC" capeable reciver.. do tell if im wrong here

20. Lyden

Lyden Well-Known Member

im curious .. i have acess to a few PA system amps kid says they are like 1000 watts each .. would one of those for the main chanels be better then getting other amps?... i'd never run 1000watt amps with my speakers ... just curious if i was to some how have a set up like that would it be betetr then buying say an onkyo 2 chanel amp ... .. i wonder if just turning my system on with that setup would the cones on my towers just shoot out of their frames or whatever the "technical" term is for them is .. hmm would be kinda funny ... mostlikely the coils would melt and ither triger safety system or kill the amps and make a perdy fire correct? ..... thanks keep responding im learning so much here [​IMG] ... anyone know how to build a 50 watt amp? i need a 2 chanel 50 watt amp for some computer speakersi made