What's new

All 4 "Airport" Films From Universal -- Coming February 10th (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow these are incredible deals. I can deal with dual sided disc for these prices. Each side will be a different movie anyway.
24.95 msrp for 8 Abbott and Costello movies
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

This is great news. Universal charged 14.95 each for these films on VHS. Hopfully they will follow up with the other 20 Abbott and Costello films they own.

I will be buying:

The Airport set
Ma and Pa Kettle
Abbott and Costello

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
The Good Times anniversary release of Airport is very, very good in terms of picture quality. Colors are extremely vibrant, the blacks are black and the picture is sharp. I can't image this getting any better. Browse your local Best Buy discount rack because mine has had it for $5.99 for quite a while.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So, what do the running times on the Universal Home Video site for the Airport DVD set correspond to? Will they be the theatrical versions or the extended versions?

Airport: 137 minutes
Airport 1975: 107 minutes
Airport '77: 114 minutes
The Concorde: Airport '79: 113 minutes

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Michael
These are all the Theatrical versions. I doubt we will see another release of these films though. The selling price gives an indication of their expectations for these films.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I have a huge feeling that the discs will most likely be DVD-14s or DVD-18s.

The American Graffiti Double Feature (2 Movies on 1 Disc) will include what looks like everything from the American Graffiti: Collector's Edition plus the movie-only edition sequel. Thus why I get the feeling these double/triple/etc. features will include DVD-14s or DVD-18s.

John Stockton

Second Unit
The GoodTimes version of the original Airport was transfered from 35 MM source, hence the 2.35:1 ratio. I am hoping for the new release they go to the original 65 MM Todd-Ao sources and give us the film in its original ratio of 2.21:1 .

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well sounds like Universal is trying to do SOMETHING right for a change, let's just hope they don't find some way to mess this up! (On the Airport movies how bout a forced commercial for an airline company before the film? :D )
BTW any word on Earthquake? I'd love to get it in SENSURROUND!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Don't ya just hate typos on DVD packaging?! The quality control for such proof-reading must be rather lax @ Universal. TWO mistakes on this cover -- Should be
"Airport 1975"; plus "Concorde" is misspelled. Tsk, Tsk. :frowning: :) ......

Still, for THIS 4-MOVIE GIVE-AWAY PRICE, it'll be hard not to bite. :)

"That's a good idea, Mel .... using little old ladies for skycaps. You keep that up; you're doing a good job." :laugh:

TedD

Supporting Actor
this seems somewhat curious
Not really. Airport was a Todd-AO production intended for 70mm release, therefore had a 6 track master.

The rest were never intended for 70mm release, and therefore carried mono optical tracks. Thay all pre-date the wide spread use of Dolby Stereo.

Ted

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Th[e]y all pre-date the wide spread use of Dolby Stereo.
Yes, come to think of it, I guess you're right.
It was about 1982 or 1983 that "Dolby Stereo" became commonplace in theaters, wasn't it??

Anyway, noticing the nice (hopefully :)) 5.1 tracks being placed on Airport (1970 original) for the upcoming February release makes it an even easier choice to upgrade from the already-nice GoodTimes Home Video version (which features a fairly robust 2.0 Dolby Surround soundtrack).

I kinda hope Universal fixes the two title errors on the packaging before this streets, however. ....

StevenFC

Second Unit
Just wanted to report on the original Airport (1970). I found a rental copy for sale of the Goodtimes 30th anniversary edition (anamorphic btw) for 8 bucks. I thought I'd give it a whirl for that price. I must say it was a pleasant surprise. As others have said in this thread, it's a very good looking picture. Just the odd speckle of dirt and such could be seen. No flaws to be seen as far as I could tell. Nothing distracting in other words. It's a single layer disc by the way.

I think if it looks this good in the upcoming "Terminal" pack, you'll be more than happy. And if the they all look that good, then you'll definitely get your moneys worth. Now if I could only find a good cheap version of '75. It's the only other one I wouldn't mind buying.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Don't bother buying the Goodtimes version of Airport 1975. It's not even worth a couple of dollars. The compression job done on it is one of the worst I've seen.

Has the cover art for this collection changed? I see that Universal's page has a cover which removes the silver "includes all four disaster movies" box. Also, it appears that Karen Black has been added to the cover and Jack Lemmon has been removed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks