What's new

All 4 "Airport" Films From Universal -- Coming February 10th (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I understand that some of the problem with the added scenes for TV broadcast is that they were pan-scan from cuts or filmed especially for the TV version (Earthquake - LAX scenes) and were not filmed in the same aspect ratio as the film. To go back and add them to the film would be a lot of trouble. It has only been in the last couple of years that directors cuts are the rage and thankfully they kept the cuts from some older films such as The Big Red One.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
This is quite true for Earthquake! The airplane scenes were filmed for TV (and employed stock footage from the original Airport to show the plane flying). Those scenes appear to be composed for 4:3.

Two Minute Warning's additional scenes were done especially for TV as well. But the odd thing is that they were appear to be shot in widescreen, like the original movie. There are telltale pans, scans and cutting back and forth on the additional scenes. I thought that was weird but maybe it was the rationalle to make the new scenes in the same ratio so they will be panned and scanned just like the actual movie scenes and subliminally fit in better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mike LoMonaco
Thanks for the info, 'Hollis!

For this film, I think I may just stick with the standard definition two disc Special Edition; I was VERY happy with the transfer Fox gave Poseidon Adventure for the SE -- a wonderfully clean look for that film.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks