What's new

Alias Smith and Jones (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Michael - It is a specialty dvd store up here in Vancouver, B.C. that also does mail order, you need to have a free membership and they keep the one access door locked to keep track. They usually will put a title out when they receive it - so in this case I was fortunate to find some on display early. Helps that it is on my way home from work! I have to say, although I barely remember the show when it originally aired - which would have put me at 16, I nonetheless have found it pretty funny with a lot of great dialogue. Earl Holliman was a hoot as "Wheat" , one of the gang members in the pilot episode. Another reason for eagerly waiting for more of these older shows - they can't come close today. I don't even watch regular tv programming anymore. Oh, and concerning " Mrs. Peel ", glad you liked it, seems to be one of her more appealing poses. For some reason I was just thinking of Oliver Reed who, in a moment of intoxicated refection mentioned with great fondness girls in general from his youthful days in the 50's and '60's as being much more fun loving and kind than the - as he put it - cold hearted B's of today. Poor Ollie, it brought tears to his eyes. I assume he was referring to the entertainment industry in general, although they are just reflecting society more or less. I should look into that book you mentioned.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I was 13 myself when the series came out and I have fond memories of watching the exploits of Heyes and Curry with my parents, who were big fans of the show.

I think that really comes through for me as a viewer when comparing classic tv to modern series. Women like Diana Rigg, Sue Lloyd, Barbara Shelley and Jane Merrow to name but a few from 'across the pond'--they were so classy and scintillating. I've also given up on current programming and in fact suspended my satellite service a couple of years ago.

Here's a link to the book "Saints and Avengers":

http://www.amazon.com/Saints-Avenger...e=UTF8&s=books

cardinalmark

Agent
Real Name
Mark Collins
Really glad to see one of my favorites being released!! For anyone who is interested, there is the Alias Smith and Jones website that is one of the best for any T.V. show out there. The site is asjcollection.com This site is a great site to catch up on this truly great show. Tell them Mark sent you!! I am also glad to see Hawaii Five-0, and another Wild Wild West coming in March. Looking for the second season for Mission Impossible, and still hoping for Mannix to be released!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I finally Got this the other day but have'nt watched it yet, anyone have any impressions on the set released. I wish Universal would ditch the digipaks and go to Slims.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

"Ditto" on the slim packs :)

I've watched the pilot ep and the 2nd one so far. Xfrs are excellent. The series holds up well for it's age for me, anyway. If S2 is released though, it'll be a tough sell since Pete Duel (who passed away near the end of S1) wasn't in S2 and I wasn't too keen about the replacement although Roger Davis did a good job having to fill Pete's shoes for the "Hannibal Heyes" role.

Burl Ives was one of the guests in ep #2. It's hard for me to see Ives in any role other than the genie in that '64 film "The Brass Bottle" :D The other guest was the well-known actor "Edward Andrews". Remember him as the "snoop" factory worker from Twilight Zone (orig series) S1 in the ep "Third From the Sun"? Fritz Weaver was also in that TZ ep.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Pete Duel was in all but the last 5 of the 23 episodes of Season 2. I only came to the show last year on the Westerns channel, but it's become a real favorite. I find it extremely well written and acted with the usual great roster of guest stars found on most western series. One thing I love about the show is the recurring characters you see throughout (Burl Ives, J.D. Cannon, Sally Field, Michele Lee among others). It really gives the show a sense of continuity. After seeing Pete Duel in the series, I wasn't sure I even wanted to watch the episodes after he was gone, but I've finally been watching them after having recorded them from Encore and have been amazed at how much I'm still enjoying the show. It's really just that well done. I'm sure it was much harder for the audience to watch it back when it aired after the tragic death of Pete Duel though. I think Roger Davis is actually really good, although the chemistry between him and Ben Murphy isn't nearly as good as between Murphy and Duel. I really hope the entire series is released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Yeah as Scott said Pete Duel was in all but the last 5 episodes of Season 2 so it shouldn't be a tough sell. Season 3 might be with only 12 episodes and all with Roger Davis. I say bring on season 2 and 3 as they were all good.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I second that! They might not sell as many of season 3 as the other seasons, as some fans are rabidly anti-Roger, but those episodes are all part of the series and should all be released.

I'm sure hoping for a better commentary on season 2 though. The one with Glen Larson on this set is beyond disappointing. He's silent for most of it, chuckles watching the show occasionally, and there are few times when he does actually speak when it's really informative, something beyond what one could pick up from looking at an IMDB listing. For someone who's been in the business as long as he has, and worked on as many hit shows as he has, I really expected more. Maybe he needed a co-commentator to ask some questions and elicit some actual commentary.

Mary

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, all for reminding me :rolleyes:that this was a 3-season series. For some reason, I had it stuck in the head that it was a 2-s'er with Roger Davis in all of S2. I'll get S2 for certain but most likely pass on S3. I'm not really a "Davis" veto guy, :D but I thought that the series slipped slightly in S3 along with the loss of Pete Duel. But, as with all TV/DVD releases, I want it (S3) to happen for all of the "Alias" fanatics :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Finally seen all episodes again. And read the "accompanying" chapters of the book Mary advised. I'm surprised how good the DVD looks, after all, it's of a 70's TV series!

I hope enough copies were sold: I'm waiting for the next 2 Seasons now (and The Virginian as well, BTW)!!

Cees

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Hopefully if UNIVERSAL doesn't release "The Viriginan" that Timeless will pick it up.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Well is it time to panic over the lack of announcement for S2 of this great western series? It's been nearly 9 months now since S1 came out. Come on, Universal let's get this one finished--S2 at least, which has more Pete Duel episodes than the first season in spite of his being replaced that year.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I would also love Season 2, but I've become used to the "one and we're done" attitude of many studios so I'm not holding my breath.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Darnit, I thought resurrection of this thread might signal some actual news, but.... Oh well. Yep, add me to the list of people who want S2.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Sorry about that, Mary. Before posting my message, I began to think that I might bring on false hopes about a new announcement.

Pete appeared in the 15 episodes of S1 and the first 18 of 23 episodes of S2. I'd forgotten what incredible chemistry Murphy and Duel had together until I purchased S1!

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Just have 3 episodes left of season 1 to watch, very good quality indeed!!
No news on season 2??

Mary_P

Second Unit
I haven't heard any rumblings. Seems like this one would be relatively easy for Universal to get out, as they recently remastered most of the series for a run on Encore's Westerns Channel. I think they'd only need to remaster the second season opener, "The Day They Hanged Kid Curry," to put out the second season. No music issues I can think of, as most of the music they used was already public domain back in 1971.

I hope we hear something on this soon, but given Universal's reputation for "one and done," I'm not overly optimistic.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Any update on whether the second season of Alias Smith and Jones will be released on Region 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks