1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ali, Fear eats the Soul: CRITERION

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nathan V, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Well-Known Member

That's right.

Synopsis:

2. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Well-Known Member

I have never watched a Fassbinder film before, but I will pick up this one sight unseen. I have seen Sirk's All That Heaven Allows, and will be watching
    Far From Heaven tonight, all I have heard about Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, is positive praise.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Well-Known Member

Finally! [​IMG]

I hope this is only the beginning of Criterion's commitment to bringing us Fassbinder on DVD! Wellspring has done some good work lately on their Fassbinder titles ("The Bitter Tears", "Effi Briest", "The Merchant of Four Seasons", "Fox and His Friends", etc), and Fantoma's releases are certainly top-notch (particularly "Whity"), but I'm thrilled that Fassbinder will finally be receiving the Criterion treatment. I'd love to see a Criterion boxset for "Berlin Alexanderplatz", or at the very least "The Marriage of Maria Braun" (or all three from that cycle of films)... but I wouldn't want to come off as greedy!

But I guess I am!

4. WillardK

WillardK Well-Known Member

Wellspring is doing a better than good job with their Fassbinder series imo... just a notch below a Criterion transfer with the latest batch (they're improving with each set of releases) and as good as Criterion supplements in the special editions. I've bought them all so far and am REALLY looking forward to Beware of a Holy Whore (due next month with Mother Kuster Goes to Heaven and Satan's Brew).

Fantoma are soon releasing their second Fassbinder set with In a Year of 13 Moons(another one I'm greatly anticipating), Why Does Herr R Run Amok? and Martha .

5. Brook K

Brook K Well-Known Member

Ditto Willard, I've bought every Fassbinder disc that's out and I will continue to do so.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

You better hope to get hot at the table Brook, considering the number of films he made. [​IMG]

My advice would be to avoid trying to make a hard 8. [​IMG]