1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

AFI TRIBUTES

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

On the new NOTORIOUS dvd, there is a poignant, tantalizing--but all-too-brief clip from the AFI Tribute to Alfred Hitchcock. I seem to recall that Hitchcock in the year before his death did not recognize Sean Connery (MARNIE). On the MISTER ROBERTS, there is a clip from the Cagney AFI tribute. The AFI released many of these (Gene Kelly, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Billy Wilder, Bette Davis, etc.) on VHS. I wonder if AFI has ever entertained the idea of releasing these on dvd. There might be some clearance issues, but it would be a great source of revenue for the AFI.

2. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Well-Known Member

Around 10-15 of the tributes were released on laserdisc, so there is a post-VHS precedent for releasing the tributes as stand-alone packages.

Among the tributes released on laserdisc were:

John Ford
    Billy Wilder
    John Huston
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Orson Welles
    Gene Kelly
    Fred Astaire
    Lillian Gish

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Well-Known Member

Yes, many of these were on VHS as well. They were released by I think it was Aaron Spelling's video company, which might mean they are at Paramount.

4. ted:r

ted:r Well-Known Member

It would be grand if they released them. Also complete Oscar telecasts. Maybe the audience for these would be specialized. But I know I would sure appreciate it.