What's new

AFI TRIBUTES (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
On the new NOTORIOUS dvd, there is a poignant, tantalizing--but all-too-brief clip from the AFI Tribute to Alfred Hitchcock. I seem to recall that Hitchcock in the year before his death did not recognize Sean Connery (MARNIE). On the MISTER ROBERTS, there is a clip from the Cagney AFI tribute. The AFI released many of these (Gene Kelly, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Billy Wilder, Bette Davis, etc.) on VHS. I wonder if AFI has ever entertained the idea of releasing these on dvd. There might be some clearance issues, but it would be a great source of revenue for the AFI.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Around 10-15 of the tributes were released on laserdisc, so there is a post-VHS precedent for releasing the tributes as stand-alone packages.

Among the tributes released on laserdisc were:

John Ford
Billy Wilder
John Huston
Alfred Hitchcock
Orson Welles
Gene Kelly
Fred Astaire
Lillian Gish

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, many of these were on VHS as well. They were released by I think it was Aaron Spelling's video company, which might mean they are at Paramount.

ted:r

Second Unit
It would be grand if they released them. Also complete Oscar telecasts. Maybe the audience for these would be specialized. But I know I would sure appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks