AFI TRIBUTES

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

On the new NOTORIOUS dvd, there is a poignant, tantalizing--but all-too-brief clip from the AFI Tribute to Alfred Hitchcock. I seem to recall that Hitchcock in the year before his death did not recognize Sean Connery (MARNIE). On the MISTER ROBERTS, there is a clip from the Cagney AFI tribute. The AFI released many of these (Gene Kelly, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Billy Wilder, Bette Davis, etc.) on VHS. I wonder if AFI has ever entertained the idea of releasing these on dvd. There might be some clearance issues, but it would be a great source of revenue for the AFI.

2. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

Around 10-15 of the tributes were released on laserdisc, so there is a post-VHS precedent for releasing the tributes as stand-alone packages.

Among the tributes released on laserdisc were:

John Ford
    Billy Wilder
    John Huston
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Orson Welles
    Gene Kelly
    Fred Astaire
    Lillian Gish

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Yes, many of these were on VHS as well. They were released by I think it was Aaron Spelling's video company, which might mean they are at Paramount.

4. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

It would be grand if they released them. Also complete Oscar telecasts. Maybe the audience for these would be specialized. But I know I would sure appreciate it.