1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A little help regarding my system please

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brandon_T, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Well-Known Member

I am somewhat of a game player, and was sick of my older system not being able to handle the games such as Battlefield 1942.

I recently upgraded my system to a P4 2.8HT with 800MHZ frontside bus, 512mb of ram 120gig HD7200 and it has a Radeon 9200 64mb video card. Now I have a friend who has a little less of a system and his works great. Mine lags a bit. The only thing I can think of is that my monitor is causing this. It is a older NEC90 19inch. Could that be the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I have cable modem too and ping most of the time in the 30's and 40's

Brandon

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Well-Known Member

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Well-Known Member

The monitor could factor in if it has a lower refresh rate and you have vsync turned on. You could try turning vsync off.

4. Brandon_T

His system is a 1.8P4 with a 64meg radeon video card as well. Everything is virtually the same, except the processor speed and the frontside bus.

We both run XP and have the same ram.

When I say lag, that may not be the proper term. When I play, then make a fast movement in particular, it hangs up for a second or two and tends to make me crash my plane [​IMG]

This is very frustrating. On my Hard Drive of 120GB I have about 18 Gig taken up. So I don't think that is it.

5. Brandon_T

How do I turn of the V sync?

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Well-Known Member

Either in the game's graphics menu or somewhere in control paneldisplaysettingsadvanced.

You may also want to make sure your drivers are up to date.

Or are you playing on the internet, by chance?

7. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Well-Known Member

start ->control panel-> display->settings and go to the ati tabs and you'll see synchonization buttons, refresh rate, v-sync etc...

Do you know what your current resolution and refresh is set to? You'll find that info in that area as well. You could probably read it off the on screen display in your monitor. Click on you monitors menu (for adjusting contrast, brightness, vertical position etc... you should see something that gives you res and scanning freq.)

8. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Premium
    Supporter

You mentioned your processor is hyperthreading and you have 512MB ram.

Do you have a single 512 chip or two 256's?

If you have two 256's do you have one in each bank of two slots?

My understanding for HT technology to work properly you need to have a ram chip in each bank of two memory slots. Hopefully this isn't to confusing.