What's new

A little help regarding my system please (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I am somewhat of a game player, and was sick of my older system not being able to handle the games such as Battlefield 1942.

I recently upgraded my system to a P4 2.8HT with 800MHZ frontside bus, 512mb of ram 120gig HD7200 and it has a Radeon 9200 64mb video card. Now I have a friend who has a little less of a system and his works great. Mine lags a bit. The only thing I can think of is that my monitor is causing this. It is a older NEC90 19inch. Could that be the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I have cable modem too and ping most of the time in the 30's and 40's

Brandon

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Mine lags a bit
How exactly?...less responsive? Have you run the two pc's using similar benchmarks (like Sisoft Sandra or 3dMark or some of the internal bench's in the more popular games)? Granted benchmarks aren't the end all and be all but it may show where the deficiency is between the 2 systems.

Could be he has a beefier graphics card, or more ram. Do you guys have the same operating systmes? Without knowing his system it's pretty hard to say just yet.

I don't think your monitor is going to factor into performance other than resolution.

Get us his specs and we'll figure it out.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The monitor could factor in if it has a lower refresh rate and you have vsync turned on. You could try turning vsync off.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
His system is a 1.8P4 with a 64meg radeon video card as well. Everything is virtually the same, except the processor speed and the frontside bus.

We both run XP and have the same ram.

When I say lag, that may not be the proper term. When I play, then make a fast movement in particular, it hangs up for a second or two and tends to make me crash my plane :angry:

This is very frustrating. On my Hard Drive of 120GB I have about 18 Gig taken up. So I don't think that is it.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Either in the game's graphics menu or somewhere in control paneldisplaysettingsadvanced.

You may also want to make sure your drivers are up to date.

Or are you playing on the internet, by chance?

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
start ->control panel-> display->settings and go to the ati tabs and you'll see synchonization buttons, refresh rate, v-sync etc...

Do you know what your current resolution and refresh is set to? You'll find that info in that area as well. You could probably read it off the on screen display in your monitor. Click on you monitors menu (for adjusting contrast, brightness, vertical position etc... you should see something that gives you res and scanning freq.)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
You mentioned your processor is hyperthreading and you have 512MB ram.

Do you have a single 512 chip or two 256's?

If you have two 256's do you have one in each bank of two slots?

My understanding for HT technology to work properly you need to have a ram chip in each bank of two memory slots. Hopefully this isn't to confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks