What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ White Christmas -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Mmmm... I've yet to jump for "White Christmas" on Blu-ray (I've sold my DVD), so the Diamond Edition sounds like just the ticket for me.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I'm one of those people who think the Blu-ray looks terrific. After watching it for so many years on NBC in black and white and then the very grainy DVD this was a revelation! The audio has never been terrific..but I guess that is what they had. Never read the posts about the bluish faces until now . Never noticed that. Perhaps it is the setting on my television that I have always preferred a little on the "warmish" side. I will say the blues "pop", but so do all the other colours. The reds in the final number are amazing. If you don't own this film, and have any affection for it, I would not hesitate to buy it!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
This is one of my favorite blu-rays in my entire collection and I re-visit it more often than I'm sure is healthy. I think the colors look absolutely terrific. Anyone who hasn't seen it is in for a treat.

I haven't, personally, noticed that the faces look "blue" although there IS a lot of soft dupe material around the opticals (as with almost any Technicolor film of that vintage) especially in the first two reels with some odd color shifts. The opening shot, in fact, is one of them. When the picture "snaps" into place it almost takes your breath away.

All of the disparate colors during "Mandy" (those sparkly red gloves!) pop so much you never quite know where to look! I find it a wholly satisfying treat each and every time.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
One of my favorite demo Blu-ray's, totally sells you on VistaVision and dye-transfer Technicolor.

The Paramount color schemes used in the 1950's were quite remarkable in the original prints. This one captures it perfectly.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
rsmithjr said:
One of my favorite demo Blu-ray's, totally sells you on VistaVision and dye-transfer Technicolor.

The Paramount color schemes used in the 1950's were quite remarkable in the original prints. This one captures it perfectly.
Exactly what I said and exactly correct. There is no "blue" push and unless the lighting in the scene has some blue gel, there are no blue faces.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
White Christmas will air multiple times on Christmas Day on Sundance TV alternating with Miracle on 34th Street (1947) beginning at 6 AM with Miracle followed by White Christmas at 8:15 AM. Judging by the runtimes I am guessing there will be lots of commercials.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
White Christmas should look wonderful on 4K UHD since it was filmed in VistaVision. I believe it was the first film in that process. The film ran horizontally through the camera exposing more than twice the film area as usual 35mm with no anamorphic squeeze.
Even the blu-ray looks quite good. I just watched the 4K UHD Holiday Inn which has lots of similarities to White Christmas. Crosby is paired with Fred Astaire and the song was introduced in Holiday Inn and became a runaway hit and a Christmas standard as time went on. Of course, White Christmas has color and the extra star power of Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen. Danny Kaye acquits himself as a dancer with Ellen here. I don’t remember whether the original was shown in some sort of stereo sound (Perspecta?). Both have delightful Berlin scores interspersed with generally weak romantic plotting. The music is the thing in both films.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think it did have Perspecta sound. No mention of stereo sound in the ads.

1wc.jpg

Last edited:

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I think it did have Perspecta sound. No mention of stereo sound in the ads.

View attachment 206474
Yes it did. I had a 35mm IB Tech print long ago that definitely had the Perspecta tones on it. I also had a DIY Perpecta Sound integrator back then. None of the few prints I had survived, either going vinegar or going pink, so I got rid of my 35mm titles and equipment about 25 years ago.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Let's hope if they find the Perspecta tracks, they use them on the 4K disc.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Roland, did you see the list in that linked post from 2021?

The Perspecta tracks exist. I’ve heard them. They are subtle but highly effective on a large screen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I see that the short "VistaVision Visits Norway" supported "White Christmas". I didn't realise that there were VistaVision shorts until I saw that poster but I now see that as well as "Norway" there was "VistaVision Visits Mexico", "...Spain", "...Austria", "...Hawaii","...Japan", "...Sun Trails", "...Gibraltar" and "...Panama". Attractively filmed, some of them are available on YouTube. Some also have commentaries by James Fitzpatrick of Traveltalks fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks