What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Universal Monsters -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/324261/a-few-words-about-universal-monsters-in-blu-ray/30#post_3987563
Well, tonight is the big night! I'm showing "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein," and "The Wolf Man" at SkyDome Cinema. It warms my heart that so many people are excited about coming over..this will be my biggest audience yet! And for 70-80+ year-old films!

Man, if I could, I'd be right there. That sounds like an awesome night!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
eric scott richard said:
Well, tonight is the big night! I'm showing "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein," and "The Wolf Man" at SkyDome Cinema. It warms my heart that so many people are excited about coming over..this will be my biggest audience yet! And for 70-80+ year-old films!
There's a Fathom double feature across the nation of Frankenstein and Bride, but i'll bet you care more about the quality of your presentation than our local Fathom theater does.
How many do you expect to show up? I hope they know how lucky they are.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
BTW, when is that Fathom showing of Frankenstein and Dracula?

After The Birds, I need to give my local theater, at least - if not Fathom themselves - another chance at this.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
David_MSP said:
Mr. Harris,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this release. The one question I'm having a hard time finding an answer to is whether the SD extras on the UK release are in 480p or 576p. I have ordered the UK release as well and am looking forward to it arriving in the next day or two. Thank you in advance for any light you might be able to shed on this.
Regards,
David
Everything on the set is compatible with US equipment. No SD PAL or HD 50Hz issues on these discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/324261/a-few-words-about-universal-monsters-in-blu-ray/30#post_3987662

After The Birds, I need to give my local theater, at least - if not Fathom themselves - another chance at this.
Dracula is not showing. Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are showing on October 24th. HTF is having their Meet in LA during that week so I'm going to Universal City to watch this double feature on the big screen that night.

Crawdaddy

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chas in CT said:
October 24th, I think. Just google fathom events and you'll find it.

I'm expecting around 30 or more. The pre-show tonight consists of creepy black and white Disney shorts, starting with "The Skeleton Dance,"

I'm going to open invitations to HTF members next summer. I think it would be fun to meet those members from the Indy area.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Johnny Angell said:
My coffin is being sent DHL Global Mail. Any one know how quick they are?
FWIW, my shipments from Amazon.uk lately have been arriving in a week or less, including my coffin box which came within the week.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Jack Theakston said:
Not in shooting, but in processing and printing, they absolutely did. Uneven shrinkage (due to the drying of the negs in separate stages), misaligned splices, and good old fashioned pin mis-registration caused quite a bit of registration issues in the early films, which is why you'll see fringing in certain shots of IB prints of titles like WIZARD OF OZ and ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD that were never fixed until they were brought into the digital realm.
The new composite print of PHANTOM, which was overseen by Scott MacQueen, did not have any issues of registration. I don't know where this came up on the Blu-Ray.
I have had access to a 16mm IB Tech print of "The Wizard of Oz" that definitely shows registration problems at certain points, but briefly.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
eric scott richard said:
I'm expecting around 30 or more. The pre-show tonight consists of creepy black and white Disney shorts, starting with "The Skeleton Dance,"
That's a theater full. You're going to have fun. Will there be little kids? If so report on how well the movies work on them.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
I'm one of those people who got a defective Creature from the Black Lagoon disc, TWICE! I am so jealous of you all!

There will be little kids. My 7 year old nephew loves the Universal monsters! My dad introduced me to these when I was a toddler and the local Shock Theater host presented them on Friday nights. The atmosphere took my breath away. They are so unique in that way. Nothing can replace them. I'll let you know how the kids like them. The backyard is full of trees, and the trees make for a nice atmosphere as they tower behind the house and screen. There is plenty of open sky too, for the moon and stars to shine down upon us.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I believe Scott MacQueen only did commentary for the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, but he did supervise some restoration work on the 1929 version for Milestone, released in 2003, and also did a commentary track for it. I don't remember the details, but Scott was unhappy with the strobing effect on this version. As best as I can remember, it was due to the PAL-NTSC transfer and would require a new transfer from film elements to rectify the problem.

Well, the movies were a HUGE success Friday night!!!! They looked like sterling silver. When the closups of Karloff's face popped up on the screen, there were gasps. It was very effective. The most amazing scene was during the creation when the monster was lifted through the ceiling. It looked like he was going up through the screen and into the sky! Very cool. The Baron drew laughs from the audience. It was much scarier outside on the big screen. Bride, similarly, was a great success. The audience laughed, cheered, and screamed. They loved Minnie. Wolf Man was good too, but it was very cold and I think people were getting tired. The kids LOVED every minute of it...the first movie scared them a bit but when the movies were over, they said "They weren't really scary." The atmosphere was beyond beautiful, creepy, haunting out there. It was a night that felt special, rare and a one-time event.

scottc1992

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hey Eric, did you watch them on Sammy Terry? I'm from Indy also and I love the older horror films!

ABSOLUTELY! On Channel 4 on Friday Nights! Sammy Terry was the perfect host! His show always scared the crap out of me! I encourage those who don't know who we are talking about to visit youtube and watch some clips. This is where I began loving these films!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, Eric, you had the perfect theater experience at home. Congrats. Are your neighbors ok with it?

They are, and since the sound is moving towards the back, you can barely hear it around front. My backyard has a creek and trees that separate us from the next house, but it is empty, as is the house next door.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks