What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ To Catch a Thief -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks for your reply.
The U.K. cover art is usually better, especially when it draws on the original poster art.
mikeyhitchfan said:
I also read that the British Film Institute is restoring his 9 silent films with newly recorded soundtracks for re-release and a probable blu-ray box set release this year.
More Hitchcock on blu-ray is a wonderful thing. :P
You can say that again.
Where did you hear about a silent films collection from the BFI? That's wonderful news. And long, long overdue. Do keep us informed if you hear anything new.
29b2878e_Ring1927-CinemaArt-posterart.jpeg

2ee33ccd_Manxman1929-Wardour-posterart.jpeg

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Richard--W said:
Where did you hear about a silent films collection from the BFI? That's wonderful news. And long, long overdue. Do keep us informed if you hear anything new.
The BFI are restoring the films, but they currently do not hold the home video rights; should they come on Blu, they'll likely have to come from another source.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
John Hodson said:
The BFI are restoring the films, but they currently do not hold the home video rights; should they come on Blu, they'll likely have to come from another source.
Couldn't Criterion just get the rights to these BFI restorations?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mikeyhitchfan said:
Yes, I heard Dial M For Murder was being 'redone' in the newer 3D format for release, instead of the older blue/red glasses type. I really don't care as long as they release it flat, as well.
While there are probably Anaglyph prints of "Dial M For Murder" out there, the movie was originally released in full color two-strip polarized 3D. I saw a print at a 3D film festival, and while it was pretty beat, the color was beautiful. Other than removing the dust and scratches, it seems like it would be a pretty easy port to any of the modern 3D systems.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Of the 50 domestic 3-D features released from 1952-1955, none were originally shown via red/blue anaglyph. They were all Polaroid and the quality was excellent.
A few titles were converted to anaglyph in the 1970's for re-issue or television.
Bob

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I didn't know that about 3D. I bought a Japanese bootleg DVD of the 3D Dial M and it came with the red/blue glasses. Pretty awful video quality but I could get the idea.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
See below from the BFI website...no mention of blu-ray here but I read somewhere else that they might release them. BFI does sell blu-rays but who knows.
Rescue the Hitchcock 9
Alfred Hitchcock: pioneer, legend and master of suspense
The BFI National Archive looks after our nation's film heritage. It is the largest and most important film and TV collection in the world.
'Rescue the Hitchcock 9' is the BFI's major campaign to restore all nine surviving silent films by one of the greatest directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock.
Film is a fragile medium, and Hitchcock's silents are no exception in their vulnerability to natural degradation. We need to ensure the best possible prints can be preserved, using the latest in photochemical and digital restoration technologies.
Our expert team of archivists and technicians have the olympian task of restoring the films concurrently over two years, ready to reveal to the public in London 2012 when the world will be watching. The countdown has begun. As a charity, the BFI relies on the support of film-lovers to enable us to undertake work of this scale. Hitchcock has given us masterpieces - entertaining, intriguing and provoking audiences around the world. So, please join us in showing our appreciation for our hero, Hitchcock - and help us to Rescue the Hitchcock 9.'
Amanda Nevill
BFI Director
Alfred Hitchcock made ten silent films. Nine of them survive. The BFI needs £2 million to achieve its ambition to restore, preserve and present them to the nation in 2012, with brand new musical scores.
The Hitchcock 9
The Pleasure Garden (1925)
The Lodger (1926)
The Ring (1927)
Downhill (1927)
Easy Virtue (1927)
The Farmers Wife (1927)
Champagne (1928)
The Manxman (1929)
Blackmail (1929)
'I love cinema and the thought of these amazing films deteriorating to the point at which they couldn't be fully enjoyed seemed tragic to me. Visiting the lab to see how the painstaking work is progressing was an eye-opener. I can't wait to eventually be sitting in that audience and seeing the restored films screened for the first time. I think it's a moment when we'll all feel very proud.'
Simon Hessel, Rescue the Hitchcock 9 supporter
Sight & Sound
March issue: A Dangerous Method, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Mulholland Dr.
BFI Beta
Explore the BFI's new digital platform
BFI Emails
Contact us
Enquiries for all BFI activities
Contact us Help Terms of use Privacy Linking Site map Accessibility/standards
Last Updated: 17 Jun 2011

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
mikeyhitchfan said:
I didn't know that about 3D. I bought a Japanese bootleg DVD of the 3D Dial M and it came with the red/blue glasses. Pretty awful video quality but I could get the idea.
A pale imitation of the real thing.
Bob

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Hitchcock silents should be split as follows:
iTV Studios:
The Pleasure Garden (some US rights may be with Cohen Film Collection via Raymond Rohauer's estate)
The Lodger
Downhill
Easy Virtue
StudioCanal:
The Ring
The Farmer's Wife
Champagne
The Manxman
Blackmail
http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/Copyright_status_of_Hitchcock_films

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart /t/318618/a-few-words-about-to-catch-a-thief-in-blu-ray/30#post_3899986
The Hitchcock silents should be split as follows:
iTV Studios:
The Pleasure Garden (some US rights may be with Cohen Film Collection via Raymond Rohauer's estate)
The Lodger
Downhill
Easy Virtue
StudioCanal:
The Ring
The Farmer's Wife
Champagne
The Manxman
Blackmail
http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/Copyright_status_of_Hitchcock_films
There seems to be some confusion re: copyright via the wiki article above.

It makes note of copyright lasting 70 years plus life of author, which would be correct for literary works.

The Hitchcock films are corporate holdings, which I believe fall under the 95 years from publication rule.

Any copyright attorneys in attendance?

RAH

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Billy Batson said:
Yes I've wondered that on this site before, the aliasing on Grants striped er...what ever it's called, is quite bad, & the same with the girl on the boat. I'd have thought HD would cure that. I love the film, 50's France looks like an other world...a lot more colourful than this one!
Yes TV always does this with stripes. I can't wait been on pre-order. Saw this in DC @ "The GeorgeTown theatre' around the late 1970's. They had a Hitchcock festival. Also saw Dial M in 3d , we had to sit on the floor!!!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Stephen_J_H said:
There were some over/under Spacevision prints of Dial M made in the 80s, weren't there, Bob?
They made squeezed anamorphic side by side Stereovision prints in the early 1980's. They were Polaroid but not very good quality.
Bob

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Robert Harris said:
There seems to be some confusion re: copyright via the wiki article above.
It makes note of copyright lasting 70 years plus life of author, which would be correct for literary works.
The Hitchcock films are corporate holdings, which I believe fall under the 95 years from publication rule.
Any copyright attorneys in attendance?
RAH
I thought that they were all in the public domain since they have been released on many labels in several countries. The new restorations and music scores may be a new copyright. :confused:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's a review up over at dvdbeaver, they confirm it's multi-region (good, as I can't play region A discs) & the graps look spot on to my eyes.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Hmm. I see Paramount is releasing the film's extras in 480. Is there a reason (cost?) most studios don't upgrade extras to 1080p? I guess I'm spoiled by Criterion.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior /t/318618/a-few-words-about-to-catch-a-thief-in-blu-ray/30#post_3900237
Hmm. I see Paramount is releasing the film's extras in 480. Is there a reason (cost?) most studios don't upgrade extras to 1080p? I guess I'm spoiled by Criterion.
Because some extras are of a certain age, were created at that resolution, and cannot be re-shot.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks