What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gladiator (redux) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Ditto Chuck. Haven't seen this film in YEARS. And would love to see in Blu-ray. Bought it when it first came out and returned it after the reviews came in.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

It's in Best Buy stores right now. I picked up a copy this morning, based on Bill Hunt's comments yesterday at his site. Basically, on the back cover, in the right hand corner, the words "2-Disc Set" should be missing, compared to the original release.

I was able to gaze at a few scenes of the remaster and it's glorious.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
How can you tell if you're buying the "new" version?

Bill Hunt stated at the Digital Bits:

1. It would have a yellow scan bar, but then wrote that wasn't the case

2. It wouldn't say "2-disc set" - but then said Paramount said that wasn't the case

Has Paramount issued a statement as to the way to tell

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I just swung by Best Buy this morning, planning to find the remaster. They only had three copies of Gladiator.

Two of them did NOT say "2-Disc Set" and one did. I bought one of the ones without the writing, and looking at it at home, its the remaster alright.

BIG point to bear in mind - NONE of the SLIPCOVERS had "2 Disc-Set" written on them - you have to slide the keepcase out and check the actual case insert for the "2-Disc Set".

One copy in this case had nothing written on the slipcover, but if you didn't check, you'd go home with a copy bearing the dreaded "2-Disc Set" inside! So be warned!

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Another thing to note - the slipcover and the cover insert of the old disc bear the serial number, in the very right corner of the back cover, of

My remastered copy, bought this morning, has this serial number on the slipcover. But the cover insert inside has this new serial number...

Hopefully this will help!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another thing to note - the slipcover and the cover insert of the old disc bear the serial number, in the very right corner of the back cover, of

My remastered copy, bought this morning, has this serial number on the slipcover. But the cover insert inside has this new serial number...

Bleddyn:

If you are talking about the UPC bar code "sku" numbers, they are usually 10 digits long (two groups of five numbers--with two smaller numbers on each end of the string).

That is excellent information that the sku # of the remastered version ends in "5"...but I fear you may be off by a digit.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Bleddyn:

If you are talking about the UPC bar code "sku" numbers, they are usually 10 digits long (two groups of five numbers--with two smaller numbers on each end of the string).

That is excellent information that the sku # of the remastered version ends in "5"...but I fear you may be off by a digit.

No, Mike - I'm talking about the small print serial number that is at the bottom right corner of the back cover. Nothing to do with the UPC. Check it out!

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I can confirm that new serial number. I just picked up the remaster today at Best Buy. The outside cardboard slip cover has a serial number ending in 517 but the paper insert wrapped around the case has a serial number ending in 515 in the bottom right corner.

One other possible difference. At the two Best Buy stores I checked, the old crappy mastered version has a cardboard slip cover that has a tear off with a 10 dollar off offer (maybe for people who own the old DVD?). The new remaster version has no such thing on it's slip cover.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
So to add more confusion to the mix. I picked this up yesterday, using Bill Hunt's description, looking for the case lacking the "2-Disc Set" printing.

My local BB had three copies, all three were lacking the "2-Disc Set" on the back.

The inner case has the serial number ending in 515, the outer slipcover has the serial number ending in 517, but the outer slipcover has the $10 rebate sticker (already expired) on it.

I say at this point, buyer beware,

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh. Well in that case, I'd ignore the presence of the rebate sticker and just go with the serial number ending in 515 on the inner paper insert.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Originally Posted by James Lee

Ugh. Well in that case, I'd ignore the presence of the rebate sticker and just go with the serial number ending in 515 on the inner paper insert.

I'd go by the printed info on the case insert, not by any rebate sticker, James. They are probably an old batch of slipcovers still being worked through. I had the $10 sticker on my slipcover, but nothing about the offer inside!

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams

I'd go by the printed info on the case insert, not by any rebate sticker, James. They are probably an old batch of slipcovers still being worked through. I had the $10 sticker on my slipcover, but nothing about the offer inside!

Mine still had the rebate paperwork inside, in addition to the sticker.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No, Mike - I'm talking about the small print serial number that is at the bottom right corner of the back cover. Nothing to do with the UPC. Check it out!

Understood. Appreciate the info. I hope I didn't add to the confusion.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Ok...throw me to the lions for saying this...

I didn't really like this movie when I first saw it. I didn't really care for it when I bought the DVD. I just never found this movie amazing as others have. Taking a walk through the Coliseum in Rome...now that was exciting. Maybe I'll give it a chance again and check out this transfer that everyone is giggling about.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the buying tips. Going to best buy tomorrow and hope they have it. Would like a Gladiator Blu-ray weekend.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There's a lot of misinformation floating around on this thread. This is one of them. I have the original release and it has the 515 number on the inside sleeve on the back, so that's not an indicator of the properly remastered version.

I don't think there's been any official confirmation of packaging that denotes the remaster or that it's in Best Buy stores yet. Just people claiming they suddenly have a remastered version. Just saying.

Hopefully this will help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks