What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gentlemen Prefer Blondes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
To go back to RAH's original post, lemme just say that as soon as I hear about grain being "immobile" I think of one establishment: Lowry a.k.a. Reliance. It's no surprise, then, to learn that they worked on GPB.
It's not like they can't get it right: Aliens looks absolutely stunning on Blu, as does Dr. No. But given the 7 year difference between those remastering projects and the slew of affected titles inbetween, it really does seem to be a crapshoot as to whether the grain looks natural or not. I'm actually dreading the release of the remaining Bond films, 'cause I'm afraid that they'll be slathered in frozen grain like Moonraker, as opposed to the deliciousness of Dr. No.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Geoff_D /t/322803/a-few-words-about-gentlemen-prefer-blondes-in-blu-ray/30#post_3962327
To go back to RAH's original post, lemme just say that as soon as I hear about grain being "immobile" I think of one establishment: Lowry a.k.a. Reliance. It's no surprise, then, to learn that they worked on GPB.
It's not like they can't get it right: Aliens looks absolutely stunning on Blu, as does Dr. No. But given the 7 year difference between those remastering projects and the slew of affected titles inbetween, it really does seem to be a crapshoot as to whether the grain looks natural or not. I'm actually dreading the release of the remaining Bond films, 'cause I'm afraid that they'll be slathered in frozen grain like Moonraker, as opposed to the deliciousness of Dr. No.
For the record, I have no knowledge of this film being dealt with at Reliance. I never asked, and I don't know if it's a fact. I've not gone there.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
JoshZ said:
This is the real catch, isn't it? How many screenshot advocates actually look at those screenshots on the same (presumably) calibrated display that they watch their movies, vs. those that look at the screenshots on some Dynex LCD monitor with a 100:1 contrast ratio that they picked up at Costco for $35?
I guess this is even more applicable the other way around - people who watch it on their 35$ costo LCD monitor and claim that the screencaps look nothing like the Blu-Ray :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
That EPK document does list GPB but doesn't specify if the work was done for the new Blu-ray release (or simply the original DVD release). If it does indeed include only current and upcoming Blu-Ray releases then a lot of Blu-Rays I am waiting for, should be on their way soon (including titles such as Niagara, Leave Her to Heaven, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Funny Face, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I know the last few are available in other countries).
-D

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Please be kind in response to this...what are screen caps? I should know...but honestly I don't as I am a more casual home theater enthusiast. I like to see my movies on the best equipment I can afford (currently 70" Samsung Plasma HD, Anthem and Paradigm audio, LG blu ray )and in the best quality available (new transfers in blu-ray etc.) that is all I care about (more of a movie enthusiast, not too articulate with technology references)...I rarely go through all the menus and extras unless there is something specific that may add to my appreciation of the film itself...so maybe this is why I don't know what SCs are? This is why I check in to HTF…so you all can keep me current (and for the education regarding film restorations, RAH’s perspectives etc.)…Thanks!

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Shorthand for "screen captures". Specifically, still images takes from a film or video, typically by using computer software.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
To James-
Thanks, I think I got that...but why the controversy? I don't play my blu rays on my PC, just my LG player which is connected to Netflix etc..... I guess I am asking because all this discussion seemed to jump way over my head on the subject of sreen caps.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
The controversy comes primarily from using still screen captures to judge the quality of a media that is meant to be experienced in motion. There is also controversy regarding viewing/judging screen captures on non-calibrated video monitors that are not representative of the equipment on which the film/video would actually be watched.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
JamesNelson said:
The controversy comes primarily from using still screen captures to judge the quality of a media that is meant to be experienced in motion. There is also controversy regarding viewing/judging screen captures on non-calibrated video monitors that are not representative of the equipment on which the film/video would actually be watched.
Got it... I only see them when I read reviews here and elsewhere (when screen caps are attached to those reviews) on my PC screen...so I don't really use my PC screen as any reference how it will look on my HT screen. I go more by what the reviewer says and just use the screen caps attached to the review as an ilustration of what the reviewer is discussing (much like an illustration in a HT magazine review). I just thought maybe these screen caps are something actually embedded in the disc (and pertaining to this new MM blu ray title) and that is why someone in this thread said get rid of screen caps...(like, why? if they are serving a purpose depending on why and how they are used or intended for use and are something not part of the disc?)... that is what threw me off I guess. Thanks!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Got it yesterday--at Walmart! Oh yeah--there's DNR going on here. Some scenes look better than others; what can I say. But the only scene that truly bugged me was the opening number because of those shockingly red gowns. Something about the red feathers hanging over their hair looked real funny. It looked like they were wearing CGI feather caps; the DNR made the overly-red gowns look like they'd been added on digitally in post. Very strange-looking scene. I notice new details, however, throughout the film. Notice the sparkling curtains in that same scene. Overall, they did a pretty good job--there's DNR, but the faces don't look as waxy in other movies. I honestly wish they'd left well enough alone, but it's not a total loss or anything. I'd give it about 3 1/2 stars out of 5 for digital restoration. The sound is good and realistic for the movie's age.
Something I never really thought about before in this movie was during the "Anyone Here For Love" scene. What on earth did they DO to poor Jane Russell? I'm talking about the ending where she hides behind the bench and the athletes knock her into the pool. Was that really her or a stuntwoman? Because it looked like they really clobbered her!!! It didn't look like she pushed herself into the pool--it really looked like the athletes physically knocked Jane Russell into the pool, which would have been a painful process no matter what happened. Does anyone know the story behind that stunt??

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Ethan Riley said:
Got it yesterday--at Walmart! Oh yeah--there's DNR going on here. Some scenes look better than others; what can I say. But the only scene that truly bugged me was the opening number because of those shockingly red gowns. Something about the red feathers hanging over their hair looked real funny. It looked like they were wearing CGI feather caps; the DNR made the overly-red gowns look like they'd been added on digitally in post. Very strange-looking scene. I notice new details, however, throughout the film. Notice the sparkling curtains in that same scene. Overall, they did a pretty good job--there's DNR, but the faces don't look as waxy in other movies. I honestly wish they'd left well enough alone, but it's not a total loss or anything. I'd give it about 3 1/2 stars out of 5 for digital restoration. The sound is good and realistic for the movie's age.
Something I never really thought about before in this movie was during the "Anyone Here For Love" scene. What on earth did they DO to poor Jane Russell? I'm talking about the ending where she hides behind the bench and the athletes knock her into the pool. Was that really her or a stuntwoman? Because it looked like they really clobbered her!!! It didn't look like she pushed herself into the pool--it really looked like the athletes physically knocked Jane Russell into the pool, which would have been a painful process no matter what happened. Does anyone know the story behind that stunt??
i saw it too last night (finally)...i was wondering too about that Jane Russell stunt...agree about the DNR but didn't really notice it from my normal viewing distance (70" screen). Still, this is the best I have seen the movie look ever and the DNR did not bother me unless I looked real closely and viewed closer to the screen. I would go more like 4.5 picture, 5 sound...the sound is like WOW! But I do hope next time FOX will fix whatever with the DNR problem or not use it at all ...and I hope next time FOX will devote more efforts, money etc. to all the MM titles...her catalog deserves better treatment, attention and presentations….
all i have left to see is River...

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
bjwmovies said:
i saw it too last night (finally)...i was wondering too about that Jane Russell stunt...agree about the DNR but didn't really notice it from my normal viewing distance (70" screen). Still, this is the best I have seen the movie look ever and the DNR did not bother me unless I looked real closely and viewed closer to the screen. I would go more like 4.5 picture, 5 sound...the sound is like WOW! But I do hope next time FOX will fix whatever with the DNR problem or not use it at all ...and I hope next time FOX will devote more efforts, money etc. to all the MM titles...her catalog deserves better treatment, attention and presentations….
all i have left to see is River...
Jane Russell being knocked into the pool was an accident that they decided to incorporate into the final number.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I never knew that. I'm glad they didn't cut it out. If it looked so real to me, I guess that's because...it was!
I kinda/sorta met Jane Russell late in her life. I'd guess this was about ten years. I was at Macy's in Thousand Oaks, California. I was on the ground floor by the cosmetics counter, about to leave the store. All the sudden...in walks Jane Russell! She appeared seemingly from out of nowhere. I'd guess she was about 80 at the time. She looked twenty years younger. She was tall and had this sort of regal gait, like she'd walked through better places, ya know? She wasn't stooped or frail; she seemed strong and healthy. She rarely made public appearances or appeared on television at the time. But I undoubtedly recognized her. It was those eyes--she still looked the same as she'd looked 50 years earlier in GPB. I was just like, omg--I should go up to her. And she walked up to the cosmetics counter and asked a simple question of the salesgirl. And the salesgirl--typical Macy's employee--obviously had better things to do than attend to her customer. The salesgirl gave a terse response and sort of snubbed her. Jane just walked away and walked out the front door where a chauffeur was waiting with a Rolls Royce. And I almost went up to that gum-snapping salesgirl and said, "You little twerp...do you know who you just snubbed??"

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
John Hodson said:
I expect she was absolutely thrilled.
Actually, I she loved it and often talked about the infamous last shot with a sense of pride. A distant friend of a friend is in that number and has nothing but good things to say about Jane Russell. It was indeed a complete accident, but too hilariously perfect not to use, once it was determined that she wasn't seriously hurt. She was, to put it mildly, a good sport.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I've always believed it was an accident and still do, however I'm a bit puzzled by the pre-recorded score which seems to allow for a vocal break at that moment.
There are reports elsewhere that insist the director planned for her to end up in the pool. (which might account for the pre-recorded musical arrangement)
Maybe the take didn't go as planned, but it looked good, so they decided to keep it in.
It certainly looks like an accident and a rough one at that.
One thing is certain, she really does look sexy when she emerges from the water.
I'm not sure if he is still alive, but one of the dancers in that number is Bert May who appeared in countless musicals at that time, mainly for MGM.
It was a surprise to see him in a Fox musical. (Years later he was back at the studio for Hello Dolly!)
Anyone know of his whereabouts?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Doug Bull /t/322803/a-few-words-about-gentlemen-prefer-blondes-in-blu-ray/30#post_3964368
I've always believed it was an accident and still do, however I'm a bit puzzled by the pre-recorded score which seems to allow for a vocal break at that moment.
There are reports elsewhere that insist the director planned for her to end up in the pool. (which might account for the pre-recorded musical arrangement)
Maybe the take didn't go as planned, but it looked good, so they decided to keep it in.
It certainly looks like an accident and a rough one at that.
One thing is certain, she really does look sexy when she emerges from the water.
I'm not sure if he is still alive, but one of the dancers in that number is Bert May who appeared in countless musicals at that time, mainly for MGM.
It was a surprise to see him in a Fox musical. (Years later he was back at the studio for Hello Dolly!)
Anyone know of his whereabouts?
No, but one of my fondest wishes has always been that the chorus dancers from the 1940s and 1950s whom you see in so many MGM and Fox musicals would have gotten together and written a book sharing their experiences with some of the biggest stars in the world. We've gotten snippets from dancers who were in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS or ZIEGFELD FOLLIES, but a whole book of memories would be an invaluable historical document.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Some excellent posts here.
Since the topic has diverged from GFB specifically, I'm referring back to the posts talking about a screen size under 60" being an "advantage".
Personally, I'd rather see a transfer, warts and all on my modest 96" screen than a perfect transfer on my 50" plasma.
I do appreciated Robert making that distinction for this film and while perhaps unrealistic, it would if useful if reviewers could view BD's & compare flat panel viewing and FP viewing.
Afterall, in this realm size does matter.
That's what she said.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Wow--- at last someone who knows who Bert May is (was?). A few years ago I started noticing him... probably the earliest film I could find with him was ZIEGFELD FOLLIES and per his IMDB profile, he was in both FUNNY LADY and AT LONG LAST LOVE.... that is an incredible run for a dancer. A search online did turn up some sort of Judy Garland tribute he attended but other than than no info on his whereabouts. What a book this guy could write! Hope he is still alive and well.
Oopss--- per a TCM chat, he is living in Souix Falls ,SD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks