What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Band of Brothers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
$5.

The difference in cost between Band of Brothers, all six discs and 705 minutes of it, on Amazon on standard definition vs. Blu-ray.

If not remarkable, and I find it so, at least quality marketing in moving out software on one front, while tempting folks to make the move to Blu-ray on the other.

If anyone out there is unfamiliar with the work, Band of Brothers was telecast on HBO in September of 2001, arriving in November of 2002 on standard def video, and six years later on Blu-ray.

It remains one of the consummate series ever created for broadcast.

How does the Blu-ray look?

Correct. And generally gorgeous.

All of the muted color, occasional grain and superbly crafted imagery that we saw back in 2001 is still there. Only sharper, cleaner looking and overall, better defined, and far advanced from its heavily compressed broadcast. It is possible that a bit of grain or noise reduction may have been applied, but not overall, and not in any damaging amount.

Once every decade or so there is a single defining production that sets the standard for all that are to follow. Band of Brothers is one of the productions.

The price -- inclusive of additional documentaries, commentary and a new interactive "field guide."

An amazing $37!

Very Highly Recommended from all perspectives.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some members were complaining about the first couple of episodes being DNR'd or other quality problems, but I thought the entire series looked great on my setup.

Crawdaddy

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've only watched the first four episodes so far, but it's been great to revisit this wonderful miniseries again, this time in high definition. I think the first few episodes look terrific on my setup.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And those are all the reasons I decided to re-buy this title on BD. Well, that and the amazing price @ amazon (and also Best Buy) this past week. I'd alert anyone who hasn't taken advantage of the amazon price to do so VERY SOON. I expect it won't last long.

After all the years that the SD version carried it's premium price tag, it is even more surprising that such low prices on the HD version have been rolled out...so early.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
And I thought I'd gotten it at a bargain price of 54$ a few weeks ago (considering its MSRP, I think I got a decent price). I've yet to have the chance to sit down and watch any of it (I want to clear some space on my "viewing calendar" and catch at least half of it at one sitting) but I'm glad it meets with the "RAH seal of approval".

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There does seem to be a bit of grain or noise reduction in certain shots, while there is "free range" grain in thinner areas of the negatives. This all may be a part of the image as originally presented, but viewing from a high definition source makes it a bit more obvious.

Bottom line is that within the parameters of the overall look of the imagery, it did not present any problem for me, even when projected relatively large.

Keep in mind that these productions were meant to be viewed on televisions.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Some people on AVS have the Japanese HD-DVD release which they say showed much more grain and detail than the current Blu release. I'm waiting for my blu copy to arrive.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Is it possible that the Japanese release came from a film source, and the new blu-ray came from the original digital files? I know that film prints were struck for the premiere at Normandy. If that is the case the DNR maybe a part of the original image manipulation done for the project, and not visible until now because of the thin layer of new grain added by recording out to film. The "added detail" in the Japanese release maybe an illusion.

Doug

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
This is the thread in question showing the comparison shots between the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The HD DVD shots are clearly more detailed, although whether this was the original intent of the filmmakers, I don't know; perhaps the BD more accurately represents the original look. But to my eyes, it looks like for the BD they just took the same master as the HD DVD, and applied DNR to it, minimizing grain and erasing detail.

I haven't watched either firsthand, so I don't have an opinion beyond these screencaps. I ordered the BD at that price, however.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Links between Home Theater Forum and AVS don't work.

Doug

Edit: Okay I was able to find the page on AVS. While I'm seeing more grain in the HD DVD, I'm not seeing inherently more detail. Look at the text on the cover of the magazine he is holding in the first image. Look at the buttons on his shirt.

Also the HD DVD has just slightly increased contrast, again lending to the illusion of detail that isn't really there.

The difference could also be the way the capture software processes HD DVD vs. Blu-ray. They may not match exactly.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
There is slightly more detail in the Japanese HD-DVD, but not substantially so. Enough to give HBO a mild slap on the wrist for applying unnecessary DNR to "remaster" the image for Blu, but not enough to bypass this awesome set.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I just checked Amazon, and it was even better than I expected. I thought you were saying that it was only an extra $5 for the Blu-Ray, but in fact it is the Blu-Ray that is the cheaper option - the DVD version was $42.

I think I'll pick that up. I've never seen it, although I've always meant to.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matthew: You won't be disappointed. It is a terrific piece.

But do it fast. The SD version was $32 on amazon (and Best Buy) this week.

Mobo

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
Amazon shows it new for $37.49, but I can't actually find it for that price. It comes up as $54.99 in my cart. Am I missing some thing?

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

My feelings exactly. I'd rather they didn't tweak the image compared to that HD-DVD release but it wasn't enough to keep me from buying it for the 38 bucks.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I had no plans to get it despite it being one of my favorite shows on DVD. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. But I just couldn't pass up $38 at Best Buy last week.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Especially since my wife was going to pick up the DVD set for someone as a Christmas gift. I told her to get them another gift and get me the Blu-ray. Then at some future point I'll just give the guy my DVD set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks