What's new

5.1 Dolby Digital Laser disc vs. DVD, is there a difference in sound?? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
You'll notice many NEW LINE titles are remixed for HT - mostly because new line has essentially NO catalog titles- and concentrates on new releases. But, new line often subs this type of remixing out to a production house like MiCasa-- they don't remix in their DVD facility.

What's terribly ironic is that these new line tracks, which are completely remixed (and no secret is made of that fact)- yet these are the tracks which HTF folks constantly rave about (Se7en, LOTR, BLADE2 etc). I always find it interesting to see people complain about remixing and changes that never occurred on some soudtracks- while raving and embracing soundtracks which have clearly been redone for "Home Theater".
There's been no raving from me on the LOTR DVD. I am not a fan of MiCasa's "remastering" and I'd rather they not f*** with the soundtracks. The LOTR DVD is a ridiculous exaggeration of what I heard in the theater.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Sanjay, the first DD LD was Clear and Present Danger. The second was True Lies. Both were 1995 releases.

It sounds like you have almost every DD LD ever released. Nice collection!

Is it not more 1000 LD with AC-3??

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
they get so caught up in the details of the soundtrack that they effectively divorce it from the film
That comment alone opened my eyes, clearly I was going to make a decision based on soundtrack alone really and not the movie. I was so hung up on trying to figure out whether I can purchase a LD without the demodulator and deal with DTS LD, then after reading the various posts here, I learned tha that the DD track on LD in some cases sound better than their DVD counterparts, then finally realizing that out of so many titles on LD, that only a few of them are actually Dolby Digital 5.1 or (AC3). I'm making this decision for all the wrong reasons here. It appears that Laserdisc has certainly one thing going for it and that's the sound. I've missed to much by not going into it earlier, and trying to play catch up just because of the sound portion of the movie really doesn't justify a purchase of a LD player even if it was 80.00.

I remember the first time I was going to go Laser because of Jurassic Park and the Lost World, and Star Wars Trilogy. Now JP is on a good DTS DVD (after the corrected copies) and I'll wait for Star Wars. Thanks for the responses, I'll stick with DVD.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Thanks for the correction guys, I was not too sure about Forrest Gump being the first Laser Disc with a DD track. Looks like age might be catching up with my memory. :) Although I do remember it was 1995 that DD showed up on Laser Discs and that Forrest Gump was amongst the first few titles. By the way a lot of my DD Laser Discs were re-purchases of titles I already owned earlier but without the DD tracks. Ain't this hobby grand? Can't imagine how much money I have spent trying to keep up with all the new and improved re-releases. Funny thing is, the whole experience is being relived with DVD now, what with all the special editions and new anamorphic transfers with redone 5.1 sound. I hope they give us some time before HD-DVD dawns upon us, but then again who are we kidding, the whole upgrading process is what we are addicted to. Of course along with our love for the movies.
By the way, there are definately more than a 1000 Laser Discs with DD sound.
Sanjay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks