What's new

4"+ smartphones -- the market has spoken (and it says yes) (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't anticipate Sprint coming out with anymore wimax phones, but I put that out there just in case.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Hanson /t/310298/4-smartphones-the-market-has-spoken-and-it-says-yes/60#post_3862766
Biggest deal breaker for me -- 16GB or 32GB models only with no SD slot.
Also, no ethernet port. These smartphones with limited ports are really a problem. I wish Android would get on the stick and support wired gigabit ethernet for when I'm at home and want a truly secure connection!

;)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Dave, you jest, but...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/24/ice-cream-sandwich-supports-usb-game-controllers-and-hdmi-turns/

In short, you could hook up an external gamepad to a USB-to-microUSB adapter on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, connect it to your TV and transform your handset into a fancy portable gaming console.

Emphasis on fancy was mine. For no reason really, I just thought that was a funny word choice in context.

Bluetooth support will also enable wireless controller play.

And in answer to your follow up question:

EMULATION.

Edit: Turns out you can do the HDMI or wired USB controller, but not both. Still, HDMI + Bluetooth controller is your best bet anyway.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just upgraded my old, slow HTC Droid Eris to a Motorola Droid Razr yesterday. While the phone is physically much longer & wider than the Eris, it is actually lighter due to its thin design. Having more screen real estate has been nice for using the keyboard and reading emails. Hopefully it will fit in my golf bag's "personal items" pocket without an issue -- but I will not have to worry about that for a few months.
My Eris was really getting slow and was experiencing a dialer lag issue, so it was time for an upgrade. So far, the Razr is lightening fast in comparison, both in processor speed and network speed (4G vs. 3G). I'll have to see how the battery holds up, but so far it looks like this is a decent phone. I have to get used to Motorola's Blur interface after using HTC's Sense for the last two years, but they are similar enough that it has not been a problem so far. The screen does have a slight greenish hue when viewed at an angle, but is still an improvement over the Eris.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I could never get a Samsung, I'm creative...
http://allthingsd.com/20111123/samsung-mocks-the-cult-of-apple-in-ad-for-galaxy-s-ii/?refcat=mobile

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why do Android phones get such bad ads? The scary robot ads made me want to run and cower. The iDon't series were as off-putting as political mud-slinging ads. This new one insults me for owning an iPhone.

I've enjoyed some of the previous Sprint ads, but they didn't really sell the phone to me. The newest "Pretty Faces" spot from Google is the first that works for me on an emotional and functional level; the first Android ad that makes me think I could get one.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-57326905-87/new-galaxy-nexus-ad-human-but-still-too-google/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Give credit to Microsoft; their new ads for WP7 are actually some of the better ones on the market.. the one where the guy goes to the store and the kids keep revising the grocery list is a great show of Notes level integration desktop to phone; and the Tech-No is cute fun. I think what makes those work is that they say "hey, forget about talking about anyone else.. we'll just show why this works with stuff you already have.."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MS is so consistently bad at advertising that I didn't really notice the new ad. I'll keep an eye out for it.

It doesn't involve dinosaur heads or turning people's houses in a computer store, does it? ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Their two best ones are:

Actually, the new ad agency that took over for Microsoft has actually put out some pretty good stuff lately. I love this one too:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
mattCR said:
Why do Android phones get such bad ads? The scary robot ads made me want to run and cower. The iDon't series were as off-putting as political mud-slinging ads. This new one insults me for owning an iPhone.
Lighten up, Francis. It's an in joke and not meant for broadcast -- go about 15 seconds in to see Josh and Nilay clones checking out the iPhone specs. Unless you actually are a skinny jeans wearing hipster barista iPhone owner, it's not actually insulting you. I'm assuming Sam got a kick out of it.

Also, it's really Motorola that has the horrible pseudo-Michael Bay ads pumped full of testosterone and rage. HTC and Samsung go for more generic stuff. Then again, no one remembers those ads, so maybe Moto is on to something.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Matt - those are cute and work pretty well.

I'm not initially crazy about idiot Dad, seemingly not understanding his phone, getting turned around by his kids, but the final twist sells it to me. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I took it as though he thought his wife was suggesting it, and then realized it was his kids. I did like the turnabout when he made the realization ;)

Originally Posted by DaveF /t/310298/4-smartphones-the-market-has-spoken-and-it-says-yes/90#post_3873444
Matt - those are cute and work pretty well.

I'm not initially crazy about idiot Dad, seemingly not understanding his phone, getting turned around by his kids, but the final twist sells it to me. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yes Matt, that's the way I interpreted the commercial. The dad was assuming his wife was updating the list.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"It's got a pen!"
WTF?

Hardware manufacturers, freed of the massive expense of developing an OS and core apps, are able to put their R&D resources and top minds to develop...a stylus?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's not just a pen, there's a Wacom digitizer for it. You assume it's equivalent to a $2 stylus, but it's much more than that. Not surprised you think that way -- if it wasn't developed by Apple it's just useless junk, right? Unless Apple makes their own. Then it's an awesome idea.

It seems Samsung was test marketing the Note in Asia where it's a huge hit. So now it hit the States.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think that way because that's what was advertised at the SuperBowl.

They had the most expensive commercial time money on TV, and the message for Android was 'silly Apple fanboys, we've got a stylus!' If they've got something really awesome, something that will upend the entire concept of "touch" UI and make me want to carry a stylus again... they should use some of the dollars saved on software development and buy competent advertising.

It was amusing to make fun of Android a year ago. Now it's just sad. Apple is the undisputed dominant force. They have the largest marketshare and profit share for smartphones. There is no 'tablet" market, there's an iPad market. They are also the largest and most profitable "PC" company. An Apple that rules the world without competition, having monopolies on software, hardware, and media fronts, without risk to their product lines, will be a problem.

It's ironic to now be hoping on underdog Microsoft to deliver a good challenge to dominant Apple.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by RobertR /t/310298/4-smartphones-the-market-has-spoken-and-it-says-yes/90#post_3896447
Profits, yes. Market share, not really. It's gotten tighter lately (Android had a whopping 60-26 lead in 3rd quarter 2011), but it remains to be seen what happens to the post holiday numbers.
http://gigaom.com/2012/01/09/iphone-breathing-down-the-neck-of-android-in-u-s/
You're right. They're reported to be within a few percent of the total Android marketshare. And they've been increasing.

But again referring to Asymco,
http://www.asymco.com/2012/02/03/first-apples-rank-in-mobile-phone-profitability-and-revenues/
Apple is not just at a close second-place in smartphone marketshare, with portfolio of three smartphones and just recently on all US carriers, is coming towards 10% of total phone marketshare.

This is company that's dominating the consumer technology industry (with products I like and buy). And "Android" responds with "it's got a pen".

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
"Android" responds with "it's got a pen".
The only response I care about is that Android has provided me (and many millions of others) with a phone that provides the needs the Iphone is incapable of filling, and leaves me wanting nothing the Iphone has. That's the virtue of of market diversity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks