What's new

32" Flat Screen Shootout... Toshiba 32AF42 vs. Sony KV32FS100 (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I have the oppurtunity to pick either one of these nice 32" FS televisions for $759.99 and was hoping to get your opinions.

The picture on these sets appears to be very similar in overall quality IMO but I'm leaning towards the Toshiba because I have owned a Toshiba TV now for about 12 years and it still performs just as well as when it was bought.
Not that a Sony television couldn't do the same thing, just haven't experienced it myself.

I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Brian

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a Sony man all the way when it comes to direct view. I'm looking at a Toshiba RPTV. Anyways I got the Sony for a buddy of mine thinking it would be a good budget tv and all I can say is wow. It's a damn nice set for the price and after you play with the settings, set up a component DVD, it's real nice.

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...?tag=pdtl-list

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I would go witht he Toshiba, and usually yuo can get the toshibas significantly cheaper than the sony's

Plus toshiba handles a crap signal much better than Sony.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I own that same 32" Wega and it is just spectacular. For the same price the Sony is a good choice, but it depends on your taste. in TV's.

The Sony and a few JVC models offer 16:9 enhanced mode as a standard feature. That means that on DVD playback on Anamorphic material, the electron gun only scans the screen where there is program material thereby enhancing the resolution enormously.
I believe that is a significant advantage which comes at a significant cost premium.
I wonder why you are interested in an 4:3 analog television when the price of a direct view HDTV is only slightly higher?

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies so far.

I was aware of the "squeeze trick" or the 16:9 Enhanced Compression on the Sony with the remote but was under the impression the Toshiba should be able to do the same thing through the service menus.

Our family will watch mostly DVD movies on this television along with frequent Sony PS2 games and digital cable programs.

Another consideration is my center channel...I have the Paradigm CC370 which is a speaker with a pretty large footprint. The Toshiba set has a nice deep and flat top which should support the CC fine but the Sony slopes back immediately which leaves no real "shelf" to place the speaker on. This was never a problem before as we had an entertainment center but I have purchased a nice TV stand for our new television to sit on which has no top.
Picture of new TV Stand

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming.

Thanks,
Brian

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well if you want more suggestions then I would really look at the Toshiba 32HFX72 or the 71 model

its High Def, and can probably be had for around 1300 or so, defintiely worth it, and better than the sony :) also that one does the squeeze trick and everythign

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Samsung also makes a Tantus 30" 16:9 and a 32" HDTV That are really nice and I have seen them for 1099 or the older models can be found between 799-999 but they do not have the upgraded tube and sound.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no better direct-view analog TV then Toshiba.

A lot of people will say they like Toshiba because they happen to have one, and conversely that they like Sony for the same reason. Sometimes without ever giving other sets any consideration. I have purchased the best Sony and Toshiba analog TV's and watched both for over 2 weeks in my own home. There is no comparison. The Sonys don't beat the Toshibas in any category, except vertical squeeze mode.

One thing to consider is whether you will have your set ISF calibrated or not. If you don't plan to then get Toshiba. They have the best grey scale out of the box.

All that said, I would get the 32" Toshiba HDTV instead of any analog set. :)

Mike Danilko

Auditioning
I purchased the Sony KV32FS100 and for the most part it is terrific. The problem that I am having with it is that on a white background, I watch a lot of hockey, there are pink streaks vertically at both edges or the screen. I can diminish the intensity of the streaks somewhat by turning down the brightness and picture settings but obviously then the picture is darker. The store is getting a replacement for me to check out and hopefully this one will be pink streak free. If not I will swap it for a Tau. During normal cable tv viewing these streaks are not that noticeable and on dvd inputs the picture is awesome especially with the 16:9 squeeze turned on. If you do decide to go with the Sony take a dvd with you to the store that you know has a scene with a predominately white background and check it on the actual tv that you are contemplating taking home.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks again for all the replies.

The main reason for not getting a HDTV/HD Ready set is total cost.
My wife and I agreed that the most we could/would spend on a TV purchase will be $800.
With a flat screen 32" we already knew a new TV stand or entertainment center was necessary and although there is HDTV service in the area we will not be getting it for some time because the extra costs.

We are in the market for a 32" flat screen analog TV with good overall picture and quality to "tide" us over till 2005/2006. The Toshiba 32AF42 and Sony KV32FS100 ended up being on our short list for meeting those requirments.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks