What's new

32-40" TV (1 Viewer)

rodney757

Auditioning
Real Name
RJ
I'm looking at getting a new tv for my bedroom. I'm looking for a 32-40" TV. My budget is $500. Cheaper is better, but I want a decent tv. I will be using the tv for gaming and movie watching. I'm not sure if I should get a 60hz or 120hz. Also, do you really need 1080p at that size or is 720p fine? Some recommendations would be nice. Thanks

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
Unless you are playing Blu ray disks through it, 720P is fine. HD broadcast is 720p. So far as pricing goes, check your Sunday newspaper sales ads. Lots of Tv's for under $500, heck I just bought a 42" Samsung plasma for $477 from HH Gregg a couple of months ago.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's your viewing distance and how's your eyesight? :)

I'm not current on TV prices, but I think it's safe to advocate buying an above average 720p set over a below-average 1080p set to stay on budget.

I also suggest getting a 40" over a 32", if your space and budget allows. That's a 60% increase in screen area and I think will be quite noticeable.

rodney757

Auditioning
Real Name
RJ
My viewing distance is about 8 ft. and I have near perfect eyesight. I am leaning towards the 37" over the 32". I have a ps3 which will be able to take advantage of the 1080p. But if its not too noticeable over 720p, I'd rather save the money.

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
I have a PS3 with a 720P TV, and honestly I don't see the difference. I guess if you like sitting a foot away you could tell.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is a basic viewing-distance graph. (It only considers a simple aspect of vision, so it's useful but not the final word.) For a 37" screen about 8 feet away with perfect vision, it says you're on the edge of 1080p being worthwhile.

So I would consider a 1080p TV. But if your budget is better met with a 720p TV, I don't think you'll be giving up much.

If you can, go to a TV showroom with a tape measure, and watch some source material on 1080p and 720p screens and see if you notice a difference. Showrooms are rarely perfect for this comparisons, but an hour at BestBuy or your local boutique store might be informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks