What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Saints also got a free timeout when both teams called for it at the same time but NE was a little quicker. :)

Also, wasn't that 3rd-and-7 play the one where Brees ran around and took a sack instead of throwing the ball away? That took more clock than a running play would have. And even if it isn't, wouldn't passing on 3rd and long qualify as playing to win and running the ball as playing not to lose?

The celebrating is subjective. I don't remember the Lewis play, but it sounds like a reasonable comment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Saints ran when everyone in the stadium knew they were going to run and only passed when everyone knew they were going to pass. They got out coached and out played for 3 minutes or so and deserved that loss.

Hey, how 'bout dem bums the chargers. They do this time after time. Blow leads, lose games they shouldn't. Then they throw in a win they've got no business winning. I am not raising my hopes.

I can't help think that if Brady or Manning were having the season that Rivers is, for a losing team, they'd be getting big press and be touted for MVP. Rivers can't get a sniff of that because he plays in San Diego. The Giants or 0-6 and they're getting the coverage of 6-0.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Freeman gets the starting job already in Minnesota. That says as much about the other QB's and the coach trying to save his job than about Freeman. It certainly cannot make the team any worse, though.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just heard that Bum Phillips passed at the age of 90 at his home in Goliad, TX. R.I.P.

Probably the greatest coach the Houston Oilers ever had and just a one of a kind person. Loved his down to earth personality and his ability to inspire his players. The Luv Ya Blue period while it produced no championships, was a great time for Houston football fans. (I've always maintained that the Oilers would have won at least one Super Bowl with Phillips if they had not had the bad luck to peak when the Steelers were one of the most dominant teams in the history of the NFL.)

Bum Phillips: "There's two kind of coaches. Them that's fired, and them that's gonna be fired."

- Walter.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Just heard that Bum Phillips passed at the age of 90 at his home in Goliad, TX. R.I.P.

Probably the greatest coach the Houston Oilers ever had and just a one of a kind person. Loved his down to earth personality and his ability to inspire his players. The Luv Ya Blue period while it produced no championships, was a great time for Houston football fans. (I've always maintained that the Oilers would have won at least one Super Bowl with Phillips if they had not had the bad luck to peak when the Steelers were one of the most dominant teams in the history of the NFL.)

Bum Phillips: "There's two kind of coaches. Them that's fired, and them that's gonna be fired."

- Walter.
Another great quote from Bum, referring to Don Shula: "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter Kittel said:
Just heard that Bum Phillips passed at the age of 90 at his home in Goliad, TX. R.I.P. Probably the greatest coach the Houston Oilers ever had and just a one of a kind person. Loved his down to earth personality and his ability to inspire his players. The Luv Ya Blue period while it produced no championships, was a great time for Houston football fans. (I've always maintained that the Oilers would have won at least one Super Bowl with Phillips if they had not had the bad luck to peak when the Steelers were one of the most dominant teams in the history of the NFL.) Bum Phillips: "There's two kind of coaches. Them that's fired, and them that's gonna be fired." - Walter.
That is sad news. Bum was a unique personality. Although I am a Steelers fan, I always enjoyed Bum while I was rooting for the Steelers to beat his Oilers. RIP.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After watching Dallas blow the game against the Lions, I have to wonder how Jason Garrett still has a head coaching job. The Cowboys play calling in the game was atrocious. Detroit kept stacking the line on first down, bring up their defensive backs to play the ruin. Yet, the 'Boys kept trying to run up the middle into the teeth of the defense, with zero luck. Meanwhile, their wide outs were being covered 1 on 1. When Dallas passed the ball, they were successful, but still stubbornly ran the ball on 1st and 2nd downs way too much.

Calvin Johnson had a monster game, with the 2nd most receiving yardage in NFL history (329 yards). Dallas couldn't cover him. He was tackled on the 1 yard line three times, keeping him from having a monster TD game, too.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Scott Merryfield said:
I didn't see much NFL football this weekend, and was shocked to see that Nick Foles passed for 7 TD's against the Raiders! How in the world does that happen?
I did not watch the game, but was shocked to hear that as well. Maybe it's from playing on the road, where the Eagles are 4-1, yet still winless at home.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
There was a poll this morning on a sports radio program to see which NFL event was more surprising to viewers this weekend.1) Seven TDs by Foles

2) Pittsburgh giving up the most points in one game (55) in franchise history

3) The Miami Dolphins (Incognito) story

4) Tampa Bay almost winning in Seattle

I believe nos. 1 and 4 were the clear winners.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Pittsburgh is just terrible. When you consider the big names missing from the Pats' defense, that 31 they put up is not very impressive.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd vote #4.

Backup QB's can have big games if the conditions are right (see Matt Flynn in Green Bay a couple seasons ago, pretty much a bust since).

Pittsburgh is awful.

Organized team sports are riddled with bullying and hazing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was playing league softball last year...here is the exchange(PG'd as much as possible)...

"Do that again I'll rip off your head and poop down your neck" (of course other insults ahead of that one)

"Good, then your sister will want me...cause I heard she's into necrophilia..."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 2008 Detroit Lions can once again pop those champagne corks -- their 0-16 legacy is safe for another season! Both Tampa and Jacksonville got their first wins this past weekend. I really thought the Jags could equal the Lions futility.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
The 2008 Detroit Lions can once again pop those champagne corks -- their 0-16 legacy is safe for another season! Both Tampa and Jacksonville got their first wins this past weekend. I really thought the Jags could equal the Lions futility.
I had to smile at your Bizzaro World version of the '72 Miami Dolphins, Scott. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And the Lions are alone in first place. With Aaron Rodgers down, the division has to be theirs for the taking.

Speaking of which, the Eagles continue their winning ways on the road. Now only if they can finally win at least 1 of their 3 games, all of which are at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks