What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Peyton not in the HoF? Not a chance. Not sure a first balloter...

Prior to the SuperBowl year, the Colts had a porous defense. Even that year their post season success was 50% Bob Sanders.

His post-season's have always been good. The rest of the team was usually the issue(especially the two years Vander Jack jacked game winning-tying field goals).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Peyton is a lock to get in the HOF as soon as he's eligible. By the time he retires, he'll own every major passing record. He tied one (most TD passes in a game) and set another (most TDs after 4 games) this year. Winning one or two more Super Bowls wouldn't hurt either.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Hard to imagine the Texans becoming an elite team with Schaub as their QB. He's just barely good enough to start and put pressure on him and he sucks.
I certainly have been disappointed with his performance of late. Schaub is a decent QB when he is playing well, but he is inconsistent and he doesn't protect the ball as well as he should. I blame Kubiak as much as Schaub for that awful play in the 4th quarter against the Seahawks. Seattle had been defending the roll out by putting a man on Schaub all game long and that play is called with less than three minutes left in the game with a seven point lead? WTF? Just a crap call from the coaches. Of course, Schaub had no business throwing the ball from that position. He should have had the situational awareness to take the sack or throw the ball away. A very, very disappointing loss for the Texans.

I guess I'll have to resort to the 'it is a long season' mindset to keep watching the Texans. Something familiar to a lot of NFL fans. :)

- Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
RobertR said:
Peyton is a lock to get in the HOF as soon as he's eligible. By the time he retires, he'll own every major passing record. He tied one (most TD passes in a game) and set another (most TDs after 4 games) this year. Winning one or two more Super Bowls wouldn't hurt either.
Yes, Peyton is a lock as a 1st ballot Hall of Famer -- even if he retired tomorrow. He and Brady will both go in as soon as they are eligible. You can debate the merits of any other active QB or need to see more added to their resumes, but not those two.

I have a co-worker who is a clueless Lions fanatic, and he keep insisting Matt Stafford will be in Canton someday. We keep telling him it would help if he'd at least win a playoff game or make a Pro Bowl. :lol:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Scott Merryfield said:
Yes, Peyton is a lock as a 1st ballot Hall of Famer -- even if he retired tomorrow. He and Brady will both go in as soon as they are eligible. You can debate the merits of any other active QB or need to see more added to their resumes, but not those two.
I agree, Peyton is a 1st ballot HoFer. I did put a smiley on my comment. However, I still predict the Broncos won't be in the SB.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Johnny, I recognized that you were commenting on the Chargers, not Manning. ;)

On the topic of Manning, note that the Broncos have won 15 straight regular-season games. But they lost a playoff game in the middle. . .

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Aaron Silverman said:
On the topic of Manning, note that the Broncos have won 15 straight regular-season games. But they lost a playoff game in the middle. . .
And that's really my point. BTW, the Colts did not face the chargers in the playoffs the year they won the SB. I think that's the year the chargers went 1 and out at home (again) against the Pats. The chargers were heavy favorites after a 14-2 regular season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, I think we all knew you were kidding about Manning and the HoF, Johnny.

I think Manning gets somewhat of a bad rap for his playoff performances. Yes, there have been some quick exits when the Colts looked like world beaters. However, he has been to 2 Super Bowls, winning one. That's not too shabby. I've never been a Manning "fan" (it started with all the whining after Woodson won the Heisman over him), but I do greatly respect his ability as a QB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,Any chance the Lions will not extend their losing streak at Lambeau Field to twenty-three games this weekend?

The following is submitted for your approval. The Lions defeated the Packers twice in one season way back when. ;)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/1991.htm
I do not expect the Lions to win. While they did finally end their losing streak in Washington, the losing streak in the desert was extended. I attribute the end of the D.C. curse to the Redskins being so bad. The Packers are a much tougher matchup, and they've been resting for a week.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,Yeah, I heard the update on my way home about an hour ago. I'm starting to think that the possibility for ACL injuries to occur relative to compensation will eventually be written into contracts before they are signed. ;) I'm guessing that Brady will be giving Hoyer a call soon.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Tampa Bay cuts Josh Freeman and eats his salary.. That night, both The browns and bills lose QBs, with the buffs now relying on a rookie Undrafted qb.. Talk about bad timing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
schan1269 said:
Is EJ done for the season as well?
Schan,

No. I heard about a half hour or so ago that Manuel has a sprained knee, and that he will only miss a couple of weeks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We got to see what the Lions offense is like without Calvin Johnson, and it wasn't pretty. The only other non-QB that could be argued as meaning as much to his team as CJ would be Adrian Peterson. The losing streak in Green Bay marches on.

Tony Romo was having a career day against the Broncos, but in typical Romo fashion he throws an interception at the crucial moment and Denver wins again. Which team is going to finally slow down Manning and that offense?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks