What's new

20-year old Boston Acoustic A60's, throw out or get new drivers? (1 Viewer)

Dmitriy

Auditioning
Got a pair of 20 year old Boston Acoustic A60 speakers. They still look decent, and the box seems pretty well-made, but the woofer has completely disintegrated. Is it worth the money to get new drivers or should I just toss them?

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I am a huge fan of Boston so I am of course going to certainly not support tossing them out. I have a 15 y/o pair of a70's that I still think they are the bestsounding 2 way speakers in it's class. I don't care what anyone says :). If I were you I'd call or e-mail boston to see what it would entail to replace the driver. They have a fantastic customer service department that is second to none. They also just updated their website at www.bostonacoustics.com . Give them a try and see what they think. You could also go on e-bay to see if someone is selling a junked a-60 that you could get and swap out the driver. The only reason I am suggesting you get those fixed is that they really do sound fantastic and you could have a great sounding speaker set for dirt cheap. Boy I just read my reply and it sounds like I work for Boston or something :). I really don't, I'm just a big fan and get excited when I see a post that has to do with Bostons. It seems like all people own around here is Paradigm and B&W. (That was a joke, so if anyone gets offended I was kidding)

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I'm in the same boat with my Genisis 44's from the Mid Eighties. The passive drives and the wooferss have all rotted away. The tweets seem fine though.
I so loved them for the better part of twenty years that I want to recone and refoam them.

I'd recone your Bostons since you like the sounds they make. Yes there are another speakers out there, but why not rebuild the ones you like? That's what I'll be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks