What's new

2 DishNetwork PVRs for sale (no PVR) fee! (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Although DishNetwork now calls them DVRs, these two receivers are single-tuner DistNetwork receivers + their SmartCard for sale

1 E* 501 receiver (approx usage date since June, 2005)
1 E* 508 receiver (approx usage date since August, 2005)

I bought these receivers used from a person on DBSforums.com who said he bought these guys new on the dates I listed above.

The reason for sale is I moved and my new house does not have line of sight so I can't go dish. I bought these from the person after changing from DishNetworks' AtHome rental service to one where I owned the receivers, hence I bought the 501 & 508 in October, 2005. These receivers will NOT incure any DVR fees from DishNetwork and the only difference in the 508 vrs the 501 is the 508 has a larger 30GB hard drive that allows for approx 58 hours and change of recording time, which is about twice as much as the 501. Same UHF remote, etc. etc.

These are almost-new condition in the orginal box with all packageing, S-video cables, standard composite cables, a RJ11 telephone cables, the remote, the UHF antenna, all manuals, etc.

$100 shipped in the cont. US for the 501
$150 shipped in the cont. US for the 508

Jay

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
So, for an interested cat like me, with Dish service, I buy from you, jack it into the system, and then I have a PVR?

Interested in the 501.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Meow... Meow... meow..

Oh, yeah, basically you would simply connect the satellite feed into the input and connect the either composite video out to your Preamp/Reciever/TV or better yet, use the S-video output to your preamp/receiver/TV. Then you will have to call DishNetwork and 'activate your new receiver' when you have the unit connected up and the screen showing your R# and S# which you'll have to tell DishNetwork when you call them.

I think the newer PVRs from DishNetwork models 9** have a ~$5 per month fee unless you subscribe to their "everything pak".

BTW, the DishNetwork PVRs only record data from the satellite, it's not a TiVO nor can it record any OTA signal or cable, just from the Dish, if you don't know that.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
London, no, the only outputs on the 501/508 are two pairs of composite video/audio, an S-video output a Toslink Digital audio output and a basic 2400baud telephone jack and an RF output.

Jay

London Lawson

Second Unit
What about a tv tuner card or some sort of video capture card? I might be interested regardless, I need a new reciever.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, certainly if you had a NTSC card (which I assume is the same as a TV Tuner card) and can record the output on the composite video cable, I would think it would work for you. However, it's not the niftiest way of doing things though.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, given that the box has no serial/RS-232/USB port on the outside, I'm assuming this is some kind of hack on the board that is inside. or is there a way to get at it through the phone connection?

That yahoo group is members only and I don't feel like registering. Just curious.

Jay

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
You have to remove the hard drive from the Dishnetwork box, unless it has changed in the last year or so. I have not read that forum for a while since I dropped Dish.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks