What's new

$100 DVD Player (1 Viewer)

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian
Can anyone recommend a good DVD player for $100 or less? The only thing I really want from it right now is an optical audio output. I don't (yet) have an HDTV, but plan to get one in the future. I am not ready to buy an HD / Blu Ray DVD player until one format is decided.

So what DVD players are worth buying that have an optical output? (and preferably component video). Anything else is a bonus.

Also, forgot to add.......... where is the best place online price/service wise to get a DVD player (and any cables) from.

Thanks.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
OK, I'll go first. Panasonic has some nice dvd players in that range. With component and optical as well as coaxial. I personally replaced my Panasonic RP91(which was a very good and much more expensive player) with a lower priced one from Panasonic. I got it online(can't remember where exactly) and believe I paid around $79 for it. It satisfies me just as well as the more expensive one did. Like you, I want to move into HD but refuse to do so until the format war is over. I've heard Oppo has some quality dvd players at good prices as well. I'm sure you'll get some responses from other members about the Oppo's.

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the reply......... I think I will most likely go with either a Philips 5982 or a Sony NS77....... both of these appear to be good ones in this price bracket.

From what I have read the Sony has a better picture, but the Philips has more bells and whistles. Might have a look at some of the Oppo players, but so far have seen none for less than $150 (although I have not spent much time looking at Oppo).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks