What's new

10 Commandements Double Double Dip? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Okay, but all semantics aside, you didn't already buy it twice? No wonder you don't feel 'forced' to do it a third time to get the "best" version.
;)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Do you want the silent version? If not then you aren't going to be forced to buy anything.

The possible $15-$20 retail price for this will be for those who want the silent version and I'm sure these fans won't mind paying that for the original and taken the remake as an extra.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It remains to be seen if the latest transfer will be improved as well. It also doesn't change the fact that, if they want to now include the silent forerunner to the classic, that it could and should have been released the other time, though.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I think quite a few would call the original better than the remake. I'd say that will be the only reason for this re-re-release. I find it doubtful Paramount will release this again for an upgraded transfer.

Plus, how many times are you going to watch this and need to upgrade?

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Maybe that's why Paramount is at the bottom of the heap in
terms of dvd sales. Two more been there done it before movie releases. I wonder if Paramount has any plans to do movies that haven't been done before. Maybe we'll get the Airplane:You Still Can't Call Me Shirley Edition as well.

Maybe we aren't forced to buy it but it does take resources that could have been used for releasing a original film. It is just very frustrating. I look at Paramount's tv releases and I see them putting out originals. Thus far, I see no Brady Bunch Season 1:Here We Go Again Edition.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I certainly think "few" is the key word here. I don't say the Heston version is perfect, but it is a grand classic that's shown on TV each and every year, and is the version the majority of people think of when they hear the title.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Well perhaps you should actually watch the original and then comment.

Which is what they're doing here. It seems the only reason to buy this is for the original version. If you just want the remake then I'm sure one of the two previous releases will work just fine.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

No need to come on as so 'sophisticated' here. What does my not having seen the silent film have to do with anything? I wasn't saying that "I" felt the '56 version was better without ever having seen the silent.
I'm saying it sure seems like most like the later one.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I recall that the blue screen shot's in this were rather shoddy, I wonder if they intend (or if it is even possible with whatever material they have at hand) to re-composite the elements as WB did with Ben Hur?

I doubt it as there are a great many FX shots in Ten Commandments when compared to Ben Hur, it would be quite an undertaking.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
They really should have made the 3-disc into a 4-disc like Ben-Hur, so we'd get the movie split on two discs, the 1923 film on the third, and extras on the 4th.

The 1923 version isn't really the "original" though. The two films are very different - the silent has a lot taking place in the 1920's with intercutting to Egypt (shades of Intolerance, perhaps? :) )

Still, it's nice to see Paramount finally getting a silent on DVD. Warner Bros. has released 10 silents and Fox has "released" Sunrise. Considering that some of the Paramount silents include at least three Josef von Sternberg films (Underworld, Docks of New York, and The Last Command), one Erich von Stroheim (The Wedding March), two James Cruze films (The Covered Wagon and Old Ironsides), and the first Best Picture winner (Wings).

TimJS

Second Unit

But, alas, it was not. Which is precisely the reason I did not buy either of the previous versions, having seen plenty of the so-called 'Classic' version a-freakin bazillion times on tv.

When Ben Hur was finally released with the silent attached as a bonus, several HTF'rs felt compelled to post how the inclusion of the silent would provide no reason to buy the new offering.

As far as I'm concerned, I would prefer a separate silent release, but, evidently, the majors think the only way to play is to include as extra's.

I feel your pain on multiple releases, but I do wish silent fans could get a little luv (or even a tiny bit of consideration).

Tim

Neal K

Agent
And the fact that the whole set costs about the price of a single disc doesn't enter into the equation? Trade in the old one, and get the new one, that's what I'll be doing....it may cost me as much as $10.

Meanwhile, I would LOVE to see Paramount give us more of the silent films they issued on VHS in the 80s.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I can remember really getting my hopes up for the second release, only to be let down by it. I wasn't thrilled with the commentary track by Kathryn Morrison or whatever her name is, but I did go out and buy her book because I didn't know a book on the making of the '56 DeMille classic had ever been written. A few months ago I posted on Studio Feedback area that Paramount should take note of Warner's Ben Hur box and give us something like that for TTC. I knew they could still do better. I want more than a new transfer and the '23 silent DeMille. I want interviews with notable special effects wizards on how the Red Sea was parted. I want to know about the cell animation used for the pillar of fire and "written with the finger of God" sequences. I would definitely want a piece on Bernstein's magnificant score. And I'd want a piece on Paramount's widescreen format of the '50's, VistaVision, in which The Ten Commandments was shot. 8-perf horizontal film transport is way cool and still used today for background plates. Then for good measure, throw in a reproduction of the movie program like the one in the new Wizard of Oz box or the King Kong tin box. Some reproductions of the original lobby cards would be nice too. Hell, I'd even give it a lenticular cover where Moses would raise his staff and the Red Sea would part...Come to think of it, I wouldn't have minded producing this DVD myself... :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the last edition apparently used the same transfer as the first DVD.

Let us hope this one is more elegantly treated at 50...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks