What's new

How about that! The Phantom Tollbooth comes to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had forgotten about this film up until an email that

arrived from the Warner Archive this afternoon.

http://www.wbshop.com/Phantom-Tollbooth-The/1000181484,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVENEW

I don't think this film ever made it out on DVD.

Used to be a time when we were pushing for its release.

Glad to see it finally surfaced. I'll be ordering it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It is a gem of a film. I believe the only theatrical release was part of the MGM Children's Matinee back in the early 70's. It was a program of eight to ten films released during the year for only Saturday and Sunday Matinees (in the fall and spring). The packages were mainly made up of re-releases, such as The Yearling, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Eddie Hodges), Zebra in The Kitchen, etc. But if my memory serves me, The Phantom Tollbooth was an original and appeared every year during three year life of the program.

It was unique and entertaining film with Chuck Jones as the animation director. I agree that this has been missing in the home video arena for way to long. I just ordered it and look forward to seeing a film that I have not seen since the fall of 1970.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by ahollis

It is a gem of a film. I believe the only theatrical release was part of the MGM Children's Matinee back in the early 70's. It was a program of eight to ten films released during the year for only Saturday and Sunday Matinees (in the fall and spring). The packages were mainly made up of re-releases, such as The Yearling, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Eddie Hodges), Zebra in The Kitchen, etc. But if my memory serves me, The Phantom Tollbooth was an original and appeared every year during three year life of the program.

It was unique and entertaining film with Chuck Jones as the animation director. I agree that this has been missing in the home video arena for way to long. I just ordered it and look forward to seeing a film that I have not seen since the fall of 1970.

WIZARD OF OZ and INVISIBLE BOY were part of the program,too :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I had forgotten about this film up until an email that

arrived from the Warner Archive this afternoon.

http://www.wbshop.com/Phantom-Tollbooth-The/1000181484,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVENEW

I don't think this film ever made it out on DVD.

Used to be a time when we were pushing for its release.

Glad to see it finally surfaced. I'll be ordering it.

This really deserved a retail release. :( It's listed as newly remastered,so I wonder if a retail DVD was originally planned?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks