What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Battlestar Galactica: The Plan - Recommended (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
THE PLAN
BLU-RAY

Studio: Universal
Original Airing: 2010
Length: 1 hour 52 mins
Genre: Science Fiction

BD Resolution: 1080p
BD Video Codec: VC-1 @ over 30 mbps
Color/B&W: Color

Audio:
English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 @ over 3.5 mbps (and over 5 mbps during battle scenes)

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Rating: Unrated (Some Sci-Fi Violence and Bloodshed, Language, Nudity, Sexuality)

Release Date: October 27, 2009

Rating:  3 ½    

Starring: Edward James Olmos, Dean Stockwell, Michael Trucco, Grace Park, Aaron Douglas, Michael Hogan, Callum Keith Rennie, Rick Worthy, Lymari Nadal and Tricia Helfer

Executive Producers: Ronald D. Moore, David Eick, and Jane Espenson
Written by: Jane Espenson
Directed by: Edward James Olmos

Before I begin the review proper, I should first state clearly that THIS MOVIE IS LOADED WITH SPOILERS FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE SERIES. IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THE SHOW AND ARE TRYING TO START FRESH, DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE BEFORE YOU WATCH THE SERIES. 

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is a new TV movie based on the re-imagined series that aired on the Sci-Fi Channel over the past several years.   As with the series, we are presented with the genocide of the human species and the struggle to survive that follows.   The essential story for this movie is a bit piecemeal, in that it presents the events from the miniseries and the first two seasons, albeit from the point of view of the Cylon community – specifically from two contrasting pairs of the Cavil and Simon models.   For much of the series, the opening narration would read a litany of information about the Cylons, ending with the ominous note: “And they have a Plan.” So here we have an attempt to say what that plan was.  Essentially, this framework allows the show’s creators to answer some questions that have been roiling all the way back to the miniseries. For example, we are finally shown who Caprica Six was meeting in the park, and who sent the message to Adama detailing the number of Cylon models, and we see an explanation for many of the events of the first two seasons of the series. The plan itself isn’t much to speak of, and it doesn’t address the usage of the term from the 3rd season on, but the movie is still a satisfying wrap-up to the series.   While there is a fair amount of footage recycled from the miniseries and various episodes, there is also a generous amount of new visual effects material, particularly for the simultaneous nuclear attacks that destroy the colonies. (The destruction shown is actually so intense that one wonders how anyone could have survived, given the radiation and other effects of those attacks.) And there is an extra bonus here, in that Rick Worthy is finally given the room to deliver a multi-faceted performance, and his work shines.

This Blu-ray contains what I believe is a longer, more explicit cut of the movie in 1080p HD picture and DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound, along with a scene-specific commentary by director Edward James Olmos and writer Jane Espenson, and a few featurettes. (The usual D-Box functionality is also included, along with a BD-Live trivia game that is fairly simple for any fan of the series.) My note about the length and nature of the movie is based both on the nearly 2 hour running time (which means that it must run nearly 3 hours when broadcast with commercials), some gratuitous nudity on display in a couple of scenes, and a somewhat graphic lovemaking scene late in the movie.

VIDEO QUALITY4/5
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is presented in a 1080p transfer that spotlights the new CGI visuals and allows the earlier series footage to seamlessly blend with the material shot for this movie. Flesh tones look accurate, as does the variety of real and CGI environments on display. One interesting aspect here is that you can contrast the CGI sequences from the pilot and the initial seasons with the more advanced work done for this film.   There is one breathtaking sequenced in particular from the new CGI work that gets a nice presentation here – the positioning of the Cylon Base Stars as they prepare to launch their nukes, with the sections literally rotating into position before dropping the MIRVs on the planets below.  At the same time, the new work doesn’t have quite so much of the “documentary camera” feel of the series effects – the feeling here is a more classical one of remove – which is appropriate given the movie’s point of view.   I should note that I am viewing this season set on a 40” Sony XBR2 HDTV. If anyone with a larger HDTV (60” or more) notices a problem with the picture quality, please comment within this thread.

AUDIO QUALITY 4/5
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is presented in an English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix that gives the subwoofer a strong workout, particularly during the nuclear attacks. Atmospheric effects and music fill the soundstage, including a somewhat more aggressive score than I usually noted during the series. (I noticed that the opening title theme for the series gets a more varied vocal delivery here, and the action cues have a pretty strong guitar and bass line to them.) The dialogue is clear, even as the deliveries literally range from a shout to a whisper.

SPECIAL FEATURES    3 ½/5
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan comes with a healthy amount of special features, including a scene-specific commentary with Edward James Olmos and Jane Espenson, some deleted scenes and four featurettes, along with D-Box functionality, the usual My Scenes bookmarking capability, and BD-Live access to trailers and an online trivia game that requires the viewer to log on to the Universal BD-Live community.

Feature Commentary with Edward James Olmos and Jane Espenson – Olmos and Espenson contribute a scene-specific commentary as they watch this cut of the movie. (I get the strong impression that a lot of work happened in post production, including some rewriting and re-ordering of material, so it feels like even this commentary came down to the wire.) Olmos is in a sentimental mood here, and both he and Espenson are generous with their compliments for their cast and crew – particularly for Harvey Frand, the show’s line producer, who passed away in July. Espenson takes time to note her appreciation for the visual effects, particularly the shot I mentioned before of the base stars rotating themselves into launch mode.

Deleted Scenes (480p, Non-Anamorphic, 13:57) – Nearly 14 minutes of deleted scenes are presented in standard definition, mostly consisting of the unedited individual sequences that wound up being cut together to build the momentum before the nuclear attacks. There’s an interesting reference to Tigh that could have stayed in, a revealing statement by the Caprica Cavil that was best left out, but there’s nothing really shattering here.

From Admiral to Director: Edward James Olmos and The Plan (1080i, 6:48) – This brief featurette centers on Olmos as the director of the movie, including some footage of him at work on the set (particularly during an emotional scene for Anders and his Pyramid team).   Olmos makes the comment that since he’s been in every episode including the miniseries, he may be one of the only people who could have had the background to direct this piece. (I would argue that the only other people who share that background and ability would have been Michael Rymer and Ron Moore.) The cast all offer compliments for Olmos, and a minute is spent discussing his predilection for spitting sunflower seeds into a cup as part of his process. As an interesting tangent, both Olmos and Dean Stockwell mention their first work together – back in 1985 when Olmos directed himself and Stockwell in a very fine episode of Miami Vice titled “Bushido.”

The Cylons of The Plan (1080i, 6:51) – This featurette centers on the Cylons depicted here, mostly centering on Cavil. (As a side note, the Cylon played by Lucy Lawless is only seen here in a single shot recycled from a third season episode.) Dean Stockwell talks for a bit about his character here, as do the other Cylon performers.

The Cylon Attack (1080i, 4:03) – This is a quick examination of an action sequence shot at the Maple Ridge Fire Training Center in British Columbia, where the company staged Anders’ team assaulting a Cylon weapons locker. One of the surprising admissions here is that the wrecked train cars on the site are actually a part of the training center and not set dressing brought in by the BSG people. Michael Trucco has a bit of fun discussing the horrifying burn makeup applied to one of the stuntmen on the location, and Olmos says that the explosion triggered here may be the biggest fireball in the entire series.

Visual Effects: The Magic Behind The Plan (1080p, 19:03) – This featurette goes in depth with Gary Hutzel and the CGI team that created the visuals seen here and in the series. The discussion here ranges from the initial description of shots through previz work, through the rendering of each element, through the compositing of all the different elements into a single shot. At the beginning of the discussion, the guys mention that the original script for the project had very little CGI work, but that this changed as more drafts were done, and particularly as the project went into post production. Ron Moore is seen here in discussions with Hutzel’s team, but the talking is really done by the CGI group. One great bit covers the idea of the Cylon nukes each being a MIRV (at Moore’s suggestion) with an initial bomb casing flying off to reveal six individual nukes and then another casing flying off to reveal another seven – so that the detonation resembles some kind of deadly fireworks display.

BD-Live: Battlestar Galactica Trivia Challenge – This BD-Live function requires the viewer to first log on to the Universal online community. Once you’re in, you’ll see a series of trivia questions in groups of ten – essentially testing how well you’ve paid attention to the movie. If you’ve paid even the slightest bit of attention, you should be able to work your way up the rankings fairly quickly and attain the rank of Admiral. (You start as an Ensign) I’m not sure what will happen once the Blu-ray is released – assuming that the questions don’t change, the rankings may get harder as more people build up the average score levels.

There is also a special little Easter Egg here if you poke around in the menus for a minute – particularly in the extras section. If anything, it shows that the CGI team and Edward James Olmos have a pretty good sense of humor...

Subtitles are available in English, Spanish and French for the episodes and for the special features.   Standard chapter menus are included for quick reference. The usual Blu-ray pop-up menus work fine. In the event that you pause the show for more than a few minutes, a Universal Logo will appear as a screensaver. For my PS3, I only need to hit the “Enter” button to get back into the episode in progress. When the disc is first put into the player, you will see one of a few options of standard definition trailers before you get to the main menu. One is a Blu-ray release trailer for upcoming Universal titles. Another is a trailer for Inglorious Basterds coupled with a quick trailer for Fast & Furious. One other aspect I am starting to notice on the Universal Blu-rays is a product ticker in the upper right corner of the main menu, mentioning upcoming Universal releases. You can turn the ticker off by toggling a switch at the lower left.

IN THE END...

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is a nice complement to the series, and a good repository of answers to some questions that fans may have about the events of the miniseries and the first two seasons of the show.   Based on what I have seen here, this is likely the final journey with the crew of BSG as such. (Caprica notwithstanding, of course.) Based on that, and based on the love with which it was made, I don’t think that fans of the series will need my recommendation to pick up this disc. I am therefore giving that recommendation anyway.

Kevin Koster

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Every time I see Battlestar Galactica mentioned I get giddy.

It's the series I regret the most for not watching in its initial
broadcast run. Everyone I have talked to who has seen the
series says it is the best show of recent years.

I could have bought the series on DVD, but felt it was perfectly
suited for Blu-ray. However, that damn boxed set is well over
$200.

So I sit here waiting patiently until Amazon runs it as a Gold
Deal item, if that day ever arrives.

At that point I will pick up the boxed set and THE PLAN.

Thanks for the review, Kevin.

RogerR

Grip
Ron,
fyi, I just ordered The Complete Series metal tin boxset from Amazon.UK for a total of $172, shipped to the US. Region-free, same transfers as in the US set. It shipped today, so I haven't received it yet, but cheaper than the US set and appears to have better packaging than the over-sized cardstock packaging of the US set.
--Roger

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The Plan proves the adage that some things are better left to the imagination. The Cylons were even bigger bumblers than imagined.

I remember folks joking in the series thread about the Cylons not having a plan during the series run despite the, 'They have a plan,' tagline because it was never shown in the show. Sadly, it turns out that was no joke. They WERE making it up as they went along.

Mark me down as finding this disappointing and worse, dull.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
How did you find the quality of the video, Lou? Was it on par with the recent release of the series on BD (if you have/seen those, I forget).

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Sorry I have not yet. So I cannot make the comparisons. The CGI was spotty at times though.

Sam's storyline is the best of the bunch. Dean Stockwell carries the bulk of the load here, does good work as usual, but his storyline - oi vay!

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
Mark me down as finding this disappointing and worse, dull.

watched this last night, and did not think it was "great" but certainly added something extra to the BSG ' verse

some parts were clever in that they showed additional elements to scenes and scenarios I had seen in the BSG series itself

worth watching, but probably not worth watching again, and glad I borrowed a copy rather than purchased a copy!

in my humble opinion, the Mini-Series and Seasons 1, 2 and some of S3 were prime BSG, until the religion got too thick, and the writers lost their grip on the show

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What is funny about this is that I had no problems at all today buying this at a local store I was used to using. I went to return some games and bam, there it was. I picked up the blueray. I haven't had a chance to watch yet, so I'll save that for the weekend. Glad to see a good review up though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks