What's new

*** Official "PUBLIC ENEMIES" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to this flick ever since it was announced and I'm really hoping it delivers. After a bunch of disappointments so far this summer(other than Star Trek) I'm looking forward to a good movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
James Bs review, which is pretty in depth. He goes over alot and the result may be a bit more spoilers(though minor) than some wanting to go in completely blind might want to know.

He thought it was pretty well done though. Im kind of surpised the rating wasnt a notch higher with the praise he throws on it.

Also calls Billy Crudup performance as J Edgar Hoover brilliant.Looking foward to seeing it monday.

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_template.php?identifier=1701

Edited by JonZ - 7/1/2009 at 07:15 am GMT
Edited by JonZ - 7/1/2009 at 07:17 am GMT
Edited by JonZ - 7/1/2009 at 07:22 am GMT

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Brett, the film clearly focuses on Dillinger, and not Purvis. I think it was just a decision Mann made. I don't think he was looking to rehash Heat. Purvis and Dillinger are alike in some ways, sure. But that story has been done.

The challenge with the two recent Mann films is that both of them present characterization outside of standard Hollywood process. The performances are truly exceptional. But the characterization is found within moments, within looks, and within the choices made by the main characters. It is not highlighted or repeated for clarity. I think the characters were straightforward, so there was no need to plumb fictional depths to create the illusion of dimensionality. Mann cuts all of the fat away.

I didn't really sympathize with Dillinger. I liked him, but he was a killer and a thief. Mann didn't soften him or harden him really. His relationship with Billie was built on his own needs, moreso than on hers.

I'm not personally ready to call it brilliant, though I am fairly certain it will improve on subsequent viewings (and I liked it quite a bit on my first viewing), as most Mann films do.

I can't wait to see it again. I also don't think it'll have much success this summer, which is really too bad. I'm recommending it to my friends, but we'll see how many bite.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Public Enemies". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Public Enemies" should be posted to the
Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched it. Fantastic film. Probably the best Summer movie I will see this year.
A very tame "R" rating. I thought it could be PG-13 easily. Quite a bit of gunfighting, and moderate bloodshed. Great performances by the whole cast. I can't wait to see it again.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Re: the sound mix.

Anyone else find it a bit...different? Seemed very localized to the center channels, hardly any use of the surrounds. Anyone else hear the same or was this just my theater?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
No, the sound mix was very problematic when I saw it as well. Much of the dialogue was a bit muffled, but when ever the subwoofer hit, it hit HARD. (Don't even get me started on the Sony VHS camcorder Mann must have used to shoot this movie).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Not a great movie, but it is a good one.

I also thought the film really looked great. Although Im sick of Depp, I enjoyed him here. Some of the other performances were really good especially Grahams Baby Face Nelson.
And of course, no one can film a shootout like Michael Mann.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes.... the mix did seem to be all in the forward channels when I saw it too. I thought overall the HD video image was a bit dingy looking.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i didn't think ali nor mohican was that great. i feel like when mann comes back "home" to cops&robbers genre, he is a MASTER. but when he strays, i think it's a terrible waste of a talent. think of the best works: heat, collateral, miami vice and now public enemies. it's all about that law and lawlessness world. he understands the men that operate within those realms and their hearts of darkness. i shudder when he tries to go outside of that. it just doesn't work.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I don't mean to thread fart but Public Enemies is a misfire -- I didn't like it. I watched Collateral to see a real Mann film right after seeing a matinee of PE. I can appreciate what he was trying to do and there are a few things that I liked but it did not work as a whole for me at all.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i haven't seen this film yet.

u guys feel this is similar to how miami vice was received when it first came out... then slow acceptance by people later on? or did mann just completely made a blunder?

Originally Posted by Edwin-S

I saw this a few days ago. Overall, it was a decent enough film; although, I thought it dragged a bit in the first half. I also found that I just couldn't get very invested in the characters. For the most part I felt detached as a viewer. There were some good sequences in the film; however, I thought the ending sequence was the best one in the film.

I would give this one a B- based on my single viewing.

Edit: I should add that there was scene in particular that I thought was just plain stupid and annoying; however, that seems to be par for the course in the films of today.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by JediFonger

i haven't seen this film yet.
So stop posting in the Official Review thread. That's for people who have seen it and are writing a review.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought "Public Enemies" was a good film, it was historically inaccurate in some ways, but overall, a good crime film. Also, I had no problem with the way Mann shot this film and in my opinion, he's one of the best directors when it comes to filming a shootout scene.

Crawdaddy

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I saw this yesterday and thought it was very good. I've been a little mixed on Mann's work, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The video look wasn't problematic once I got used to it, but still I wish it was shot in a more film-like manner like Fincher and other directors use digital. This video look Mann likes ends up a bit soft and smeary during fast motion.

Also, the supporting cast was quite surprising. I wasn't expecting so many recognizable faces in small roles.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by JediFonger

u guys feel this is similar to how miami vice was received when it first came out... then slow acceptance by people later on? or did mann just completely made a blunder?
Not really. I thought Miami Vice was Mann's weakest work, and still feel that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks