What's new

Battlestar Galactica remake: Time to weep openly (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
http://www.genreonline.net/Battlesta...os_Sci-Fi.html

THEY CHANGED THE FREAKING HELMETS! ONE OF THE MOST DISTINCT ASPECTS OF THE SHOW WAS THE COSTUME DESIGN! THEY CHANGED THE BATTLESUITS TOO! THE JACKET ISN'T EVEN OPEN!

BALTAR LOOKS LIKE A GODDAMN DAYTIME TALK SHOW HOST

At least the Viper is mostly intact...........

They should be ASHAMED of themselves. Of course one of the shots is of Starbabe getting it on. Larson is probably drinking heavily at this moment while Lorne Green, Lloyd Bridges, Fred Astaire, and John Colicos spin in their graves. RIP guys

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
lol im gonna wait and reserve judgement till i actually see the movie.

capt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I should take back the Larson comment, I forgot he's a Mormon :)

Yes, Starbuck, Boomer, and apparently several other well-known cast members have had sex changes "To reflect a more modern sensibility". And Sheba and Cassie were wimps? Sheba kicked butt with the best of them, and Cassie was no slouch herself

I'm hoping that at this year's cast reunion we'll be able to get some first hand impressions of the show, and the original cast's reaction, and hopefully the producers will have the guts to show up to explain themselves. I'm sure there's some produce guy who will be happy to provide ammunition :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
From those pix, I will be passing on watching this one. Looks too generic already.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey look, they put turbines on the engines..f..for pulling air...in...in space...

I know there will be some explanation for it & I know that the original Viper's had a look something like that as well but...

JasonRH

Second Unit
This just gets worse and worse. I wish this project would just be dropped before it actually airs. Don't worry Jeff, I'm as disgusted as you are:)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hey look, they put turbines on the engines..f..for pulling air...in...in space...
Which is SOOO much more advanced than the braking flaps they had on the original Vipers. ;)

I'm reserving judgement until I see this show... hopefully it won't suck too hard. :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the Viper is both a space and atmosphere craft. Since reactionary thrusters don't work in atmosphere it's quite possible they would have breaking flaps, and that the term just carries over from avionics.

The engines are fueled by Tylium, which I'm doubing works like the space shuttle by combining 2 elements which burn on contact, so I'm guessing there has to be some kind of Oxygen supply on board. Therefore it's logical there are air intakes so that you don't waste your bottled atmosphere during planetary fligh, and to refill the onboard supply

and Ken, the jacket comment was just to show how far they're going in disrespecting the original. It would have been so easy to update the materials and maintain the basic look of the costume

RickGr

Second Unit
Yes, we want cute robot dogs and the same sfx used over and over and over. How dare they change such a classic?

Matt Hamand

Agent
It looks to me like they made some concessions to reality with the flight suits. Instead of going into space in suede (sp?) jackets and helmets with open face masks, these look like full pressure suits. A welcome change in my book.

Where are you seeing (in the linked picture) the everyday warrior jacket/uniform? It all looks like flight suit type gear to me.

In regards to the turbines, as others have mentioned they could be necessary for atmospheric flight. Notice how in the pictures they look like they're closed. It would be some nice detail work if, when/if the vipers actually do fly in an atmosphere the turbines open and spin.

Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Rick, do you know how much motion control photography, especially of action sequences costs, especially in 1978 on a TV budget? ST:TNG reused the same shots over and over too, going to zap it for it?

It looks to me like they made some concessions to reality with the flight suits. Instead of going into space in suede (sp?) jackets and helmets with open face masks, these look like full pressure suits. A welcome change in my book.
The facemasks weren't open. the lights on the helmet were supposed to be a forcefield, it was not open. I'll concede the lack of a pressure suit, but they could have designed something that sealed into a pressure suit when the jacket was closed.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Jeff, why do you keep torturing yourself? Just say to yourself "I'm not gonna watch it, I'm not gonna watch it..." :)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I kind of like the look, and I despised the original show. If you don't want anything changed then just watch the originals.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt, check the original novelization for the forcefields thing, I believe it was in there.

Jeff, Jeff, why do you keep torturing yourself? Just say to yourself "I'm not gonna watch it, I'm not gonna watch it..."
How am I supposed to complain if I don't watch it? I'd be as bad as the Trekkies on Sci-Fi's forums shouting "Ron Moore is god! He made it better!" when most of them have never even seen the show (Which is confirmed by the way, by many public and private debates, I and several other people have had, the best any of them did was watching a few scattered eps during the annual marathon). I will watch it, with fellow fans, sponges ready to throw at the screen, and probably with hard liquor nearby for when it gets really bad.

I've put almost 10 years into campaigning for the return of Galactica, and so have scores of others, many of whom have been going for over 20. And now we're being punished for it.
Richard Hatch maxxed out his credit cards making a trailer to try to sell an at least mostly faithful new show to Universal. It didn't happen. Tom DeSanto had a WONDERFUL script that continued the original series and introduced many new characters that could fit into the roles Sci-Fi wants to see. I've only read about 10 pages of it, but I'm dying to see the rest. It oozed love for the characters, and was done PROPERLY. Every comment he made on the project was one of a fan, determined to do it right. The crew currently doing this one doesn't have a clue that Galactica is anything more than Refugees+Evil Robots+Fighter Combat=Galactica. The show's spiritual side has been quashed, and I think the ONLY unique aspect of the show that WON'T be killed is Triad, after all it gives them a chance to show more skin

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
But look at that Viper! Very cool. The old Vipers looked very much like they were heavy set pieces that wouldn't budge. This thing looks metallic...looks like it could fly.

And note the helmet still has the bird emblem glued to it - you can't quite see it in these pics, but it appears to be there.

And I've got to disagree - Baltar looks NOTHING like Oprah Winfrey. He does however have 1970s hair - which should please the nitpickers.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
In regards to the turbines, as others have mentioned they could be necessary for atmospheric flight. Notice how in the pictures they look like they're closed. It would be some nice detail work if, when/if the vipers actually do fly in an atmosphere the turbines open and spin.
:laugh: I knew there would be some techie explanation...but still..in the old series you could hear them turning/whining...in space..as was pointed out they used the braking flaps...IN SPACE...;)

Will this new show have Irish immigrants..in space?
Shane...in space?
The Guns of Navarone...in space? (or on an ice planet...in space.)
Nazis...in space?

Don't get me wrong, I loved this show as a ten year old.

:D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks