What's new

Zoning with hdmi outputs (1 Viewer)

willytvirgin

Auditioning
I'm looking to install an a/v system in my house. I want to zone three areas that can run two (2) separate home theater 5.1 systems. The third zone is for a bedroom. I am wiring the entire house with hdmi. Question: is there a receiver with three hdmi outputs that I can zone to run three separate hd video/audio feeds independently (simultaneously)? Or am I looking at having to stack two receivers to achieve my needs? I want to keep this as simple as possible. What's a good choice for receivers in the mid-price range? Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At least you have moved from 4 zones to 3. Split the HDMI output on each source. Run 1 of 2 on each source to the main home theater receiver. Run 2 of 2 on each source to an monoprice.com hdmi 4x2 switch. Send 1 of the switch's outputs to the 2nd receiver. Send the other output of the switch to the 3rd TV directly. You will have to have receivers from 2 different companies so that remote signals don't interfere with each other. What is your idea of mid-price range in $$$$$?

willytvirgin

Auditioning
i understand that I have to split the HDMI for each source to run into the two (or three)receivers. that assumes that I have to use multiple receivers to achieve three zones. is there a receiver that has three HDMI outputs that will allow me to achieve the same results, that being running three separate A/V sources from one receiver simultaneously? mid price range for me is 2-3k I'm sorry for sounding like a moron but I am trying to understand the logic that some of you understand quite easily. please be patient with me.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I want to keep this as simple as possible.
”Simple” and “multizone” – I think the two concepts are mutually exclusive. :) I doubt you’re going to find a receiver with 3 HDMI outputs, and if you can I doubt they are “zoned” – i.e. fully independent. Don’t mean to sound rude, but you really shouldn’t expect us to do your homework for you - not when every manufacturer has a website where you can look at manuals and rear-panel pictures for all their products to determine if they fit your needs. That said, I checked a couple of manufacturer’s web sites, but even their top-of-the-line receivers only have two HDMI outputs. However, I believe there are HDMI splitters on the market; perhaps you could use one of those. Your dual 5.1 requirement is problematic also. One receiver doesn’t have enough amplifier channels to drive two full sets of speakers. You’d have to use separate amplification for the second 5.1 set up. For the price of that, a second receiver would be cheaper. It's really hard to do multi-zone on the cheap, especially when video is added to the picture (no pun intended). Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

willytvirgin

Auditioning
two responses, two snarky comments. thank you. I wasn't intending to ask anyone to do their research for me. I was asking on a forum.. where I assume people ask questions on things they don't understand and people who know a thing or two about it can comment. I assume that's why it is called a "Forum" and not a "Club". for the record, i was given a 38k quote for an A/V system for my house remodel. There is a lot of detail in the quote of which I am systematically going through. I am trying to determine if all of the equipment is needed or if there is a better, simplified solution. the receiver is just one part that I hoped someone on this forum would have a quick answer. I don't think i ever used the word cheap. I believe I said "simple", "Simplified" or "Mid-price" of which I stated my belief is that would be 2-3k for a receiver. i get that for some 2-3k is low end. for others, 2-3k is high end. next time, please don't judge me. if you need to question my motive for asking, please refrain from responding. if you think you can help, I would appreciate your insight.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There isn't a receiver or pre-pro that has three hdmi outputs that I'm aware of. And I don't think you're going to find a single receiver that can do all of what your asking. The Pioneer Elite SC-09 would come the closest, being a 10.2 receiver (two hdmi outputs), but even it can't do two separate 5.1's (but it can bi-amp 5 channels simultaneously). And most if not all receivers don't use hdmi for the Zone 2 or 3. For $2-$3000 You can get two quality receivers, one with dual hdmi outputs. But keep in mind many receivers with dual hdmi ouputs can't output a signal from both at the same time. If the two 5.1 setups won't be used at the same time then I'm sure you can find a speaker switcher that would switch between the two 5.1 area's and an hdmi switcher for the video. You could then use the second hdmi output for the third Zone. I suppose you could also use the receivers pre-outs to a 5 channel amp in the second room but we're getting into areas that I have little experience in. More than likely your going to have to re-consider the installation (a single dual-hdmi receiver and an analog Zone 3), two receivers (one dual hdmi) or add a couple of manual switchers as I've suggested above. $38K is quite a large amount. It must be quite an ambitious project.

willytvirgin

Auditioning
Mccambley and Gene c. First, my thanks for your insight I do appreciate the time and effort of your answers. After reading, your thoughts make sense to me. I am currently out of town until next weekend, but when I get back home, I will post the details of my plans and let you look at the details of the build and bid. Which brings me to this: after reading both your posts, am I better at buying 3 receivers and simply zoning each room with it's own system? I can get a decent receiver for around 1k. That's 3k plus some amps, wiring and speakers( i can split components hdmi among the threesystems). Then it becomes what type of remote control system can i get that will talk to all three? Thoughts? What about remote systems? What product can do this type of sophisticated job? And yes,i will pay for the expertise if need be.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will all of these receivers be located in the same place like an equipment closet? If so, then you either need to use receivers from 3 different manufacturers to eliminate remote signals from operating all 3 at the same time. I used a Pioneer for my theater room and a Kenwood for my living room. Both receivers sat in the same rack in the theater. Some equipment was shared between rooms and some, like the receiver, was dedicated. I set up my Harmony 880 for each room so that they were identical. Press the Watch DirecTV button on either one and the final result was the same. The IR commands were totally different though. If you want the same receiver for each zone, you need the Ocelot - http://www.smarthome.com/73101/Applied-Digital-OCELOT-Modular-Home-Control-System/p.aspx . It's designed to work in these situations. Let's say you are in the bedroom and want to control the Pioneer receiver for that room. Your remote sends a signal to turn up the volume on a Kenwood receiver and the Ocelot goes to work. It recognizes that command, translates it to a Pioneer command and sends it out of a specific IR emitter that is connected to the bedroom Pioneer receiver. There are a few forums that teach the Ocelot programming language. Monoprice had HDMI splitters. I'm using a 4 in/2 out matrix switch for my two rooms since neither one of my receivers handles HDMI. The switch takes care of my 3 DirecTV DVRs and my Blu-ray player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks