What's new

ZIGGY and the SPIDERS SACD!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Just recieved this from tower today, and it is a treat. The mix really opens up the songs, and I'm hearing details I've yet to hear. I haven't listened to the stereo mix, but the MCH , uses the center to help anchor the vocals, but they still seem a bit recessed(similar to the megadeth dvda). The bass is also a little recessed as well. Overall the dynamic range is awesome, I normally listen to music at -35 to -28 but this for this one I have to go to -20. My system is paradigm studio 100's v2, cc v2, and adp's v2, servo 15. Curious to hear other thoughts, I'll report back after I hear the 2ch mix.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, do you have any other versions of Ziggy on CD? AFAIK, there are three, and I wonder how they compare.

I assume this is a hybrid?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am looking forward to this one, too. As far as the earlier CD versions, I can think of at least 4 domestic releases.

There is a very old disc on RCA (late 80's/early 90's?) that should be avoided, if you can even find it.

The Rykodisc release holds up fairly nicely considering its age and includes some previously unreleased material, but this one is difficult to track down.

The first Virgin release of a couple years back sounds fine, but contains the original album only, no bonus material.

I have not heard the most recent Virgin 2-disc special edition (which includes some but not all of the Rykodisc supplemental material,) but reviews have been mixed. Sonically, I believe it sounds fine, but there are issues with the digital remastering. If I recall correctly, a couple of songs do not fade properly and bits of guitar are clipped. Hopefully, the new SACD release addresses these shortcomings.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: There is a very old disc on RCA (late 80's/early 90's?) that should be avoided, if you can even find it.

That's odd, this one fetches high prices on eBay & they go on & on about the RCA version being the definitive Ziggy over at www.stevehoffman.tv

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Gary, you certainly may be correct when you say that RCA Bowie CD's fetch high prices on eBay. Perhaps I was harsh in my assessment of the RCA Ziggy, since my comments were based on twenty-five year old personal recollection.

The only RCA Bowie disc that I still have in my collection is the 'Fame and Fashion' compilation (although it's possible my oldest son might have my copy of the RCA Ziggy.) I have not played Fame and Fashion in a long, long time, but I don't recall it sounding all that great (by today's standards.)

My fuzzy recollection of the other early RCA Bowie discs that I owned (Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane) is that they tended to sound hissy, had occasional EQ problems, and aside from eliminating analog 'clicks' and 'pops', did not in any significant way improve upon than their vinyl counterparts.

When the Ryko's first appeared, I purchased Hunky Dory and after doing an A-B comparison with the RCA, I decided to keep the Rykodisc version. I believe I followed this same pattern with Ziggy and Aladdin Sane. So, at that point in time, I (like many others) preferred the Rykodisc releases. In fact, to help launch their Bowie line, Rykodisc set up a trade-in program whereby (if I remember this all correctly) you could send them a copy of the RCA Fame and Fashion disc and they would send you the 'changesbowie' CD.

I think now I will have to revisit my sole remaining RCA disc and see if perhaps my opinion of its sonic merits has changed. BTW, thanks for the link to the Hoffman site. It looks to be a great read!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks