What's new

Your PS3 Just Became More Useful: Schmartz PS3 IR Wireless Adapters Reviewed (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sometimes it Just Works

A Schmartz sponsored review by mattCR

Before I started this review, I thought that it would come down to one simple question: does it work or not? In the end, as I looked over features, ways that the devices work and the things they do, the question that still came down to me was simple: it either works or it doesn’t. So, to get that question out of the way right off the bat: they work. Both devices worked with almost no hitches, outside of a user error I caused at the beginning. With the big question answered, it’s a lot easier to move on and discuss why you’d use these and who will want them.

One Remote to Rule them All

I used to love having stacks of remotes – though that was mostly in college. It was cool to have a remote for DVD, Laserdisc, Cable Box, TV, Surround System.. like a treasure chest of remotes! But after a while the tedium of up-keeping batteries and managing losing remote covers, etc. drove me to get a single, centralized remote. My first universal was the Pronto. I really enjoyed the pronto, and that got me hooked: give me one remote that does EVERYTHING. Give macro control, one press button to turn on TV, set volume where I want it and bring up recordings on my media center.

When I picked up the Playstation 3, I was of course ready for the Sixaxis controllers in my room, and heck, needed them to play games. Because Sony was a Bluetooth device, it meant unfortunately that my new remotes of choice (Harmony) didn’t have as easy a time with it. But the concept of being able to get my Playstation to work with my Harmony 1000 was something I was willing to take a swipe at.

Separating the units.

I was provided two units, each with very distinct, different purposes in mind. The first is the PS3IR-X1 IR USB Adapter. This single, simple dongle provides you 31 command code access to the Playstation 3, gives you all the basic functionality of a DVD remote using your IR control. This unit provides that support – but it does not provide the PS button (On/Off supports), which comes in later.

The second unit sent me, the PS3IR-1000 IR Adapter is a horse of a different breed. It features 51 command codes, including ON/OFF, the PS button, supports menu level support and control from a Windows PC, allowing you to control your PS3 menus from a windows desktop. I thought about this for a while and then found the function interesting. However - I’d have to think of when I’d actually use it – more of a “It’s cool that it does it” than “When would I use that?” kind of function. Unlike the PS3IR-X1, the 1000 connects wirelessly to the PS3, seamlessly converting your IR signals to the connection type your PS3 uses (Bluetooth).

I think this is where we have to divide the potential usefulness for the product. Most users will not make use of many of the advanced macro functions. While incredibly useful for say, a system integrator, many users will find that having the PS3 as a core component device and addressable will make macro creation and automation easier to control from the interface of their remote control rather than through Windows software. I’ve spent some time working through the onboard macro functions of the PS3IR-1000, and find it “neat” but I find that I may want the kind of functionality it’s macro’s can manage – like automatically shutting my shades, dimming lights, controlling my receiver settings. The proponents of such macros will point out that a device based macro exist as a point and walk away; start a macro and you can leave without pointing your remote at the set or worrying about continuing the commands as your PS3 closes programs, shuts down, etc. That’s a solid case for macro creation. And if you’re a home theater PC user with a PC in your living room to quickly test and set your macros, why not? But on the other end of that equation is that as a one-device macro setter, it definitely has a wow factor, but I feel many/most end users of this product who are not system integrators will not focus on this aspect of the product. What it really shows is a level of thinking ahead, that the PS3IR-1000 really takes seriously the integrator market and specialty cases and it works to provide them the options that you’d expect from a unit at this price point.

The review for the PS3IR-X1 is a tricky one to write for me. It works. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. You connect it, I was able to download settings for it from Logitech to put into my Harmony, and away it went. However, the lack of the “PS” button meant that many features (like escaping Netflix or Vudu) required several extra steps. But the ability to control and operate your device using IR (assuming it’s already turned on) is a solid one. It puts most of the functionality on my one remote.

This brings me to the PS3IR-1000 unit. This unit is, quite frankly, a tinkerers dream (and nightmare). The manual provided by the company is well written and provides all the detail you really need. The connections are quick and easy, and it’s Windows based software allows you to work through a lot of the automation tasks (which I didn’t need but I can see where some would).

Link to Manual

Because there are so many different ways to configure this unit there isn’t really a “this is the perfect method”. But the forum provided by the company (http://www.schmartz.com/) provided me almost all the answers I needed. A few quick searches of their forum, reading through some responses from Logitech, and within a day I was in business. I think this is the most important and successful area for this product, and that is consumer support. No product in this category works exactly as you want it right out of the box – they are built to be tailored for your needs. My initial stabs at menu layouts and functionality on the Harmony 1000 didn’t function exactly as I wanted; but the use of the Schmartz forum put me on line with some of the basic ways to get things exactly as I expected. In fact, through their forum and others, it’s possible to pretty well tailor your remote using the PS3IR-1000 to function exactly as I wanted with all my other peripherals.

Because of this, the PS3IR-1000 is probably much closer to what many of the home theater users will look for. It allows for a complete elimination of any other Playstation remote controller to manage the Playstation, and once it was setup, I simply didn’t think about it.

Setup / Test

I tried both units on a Sony PS3 80G (Older Model) and a newer Sony PS3 Slim. There was functionally no difference and neither Playstation balked at the connection to these devices. Connection was simple to both the Playstations following the details from the manufacturer.

The cosmetic look and appeal of the PS3IR-X1 is fantastic; it is difficult to notice or see unless you are staring right at it, occupying a front PS3 USB port. I was able to easily hide the PS3IR-1000, which is a benefit.

Is it worth it?

This is a question I came down to. At $29 for the USB dongle, it’s a no-brainer. It’s easy connection to my remote made it a cinch, and it’s sleek style doesn’t interfere with the look of your PS3. Still, the lack of the PS button - which is beyond the control of the manufacturer – is a significant one. The pricier PS3IR-1000 is a fantastic unit, and it’s macro level support and full PS button and 51-command sequence support is great. But at $99, it will eliminate all but those who are dead serious about unifying their remote controls.

Sometimes the “Is it worth it” question is a hard one to answer. For me, I would consider the 1000 as the solution that best works with my Harmony, and the expense compared to another Sony remote or an extra controller isn’t bad. The USB Dongle, however, for most users will accomplish nearly everything they need. And it’s super-simple install makes selecting it as a connection device easy enough.

Summary / Recommends:

I’d give the PS3IR-X1 a “recommend” with reservations; it’s lack of ability to use the PS button, a design limitation of the USB dongle device is a deterrent for people who want to integrate this as a home theater component. But it’s low cost and the fact that it does exactly what the manufacturer contends it will do is a significant positive.

The PS3IR-1000 I’d give a “recommend” with my only reservation being that you have to be a bit of a tinkerer at heart in order to enjoy the setup – but if you’re programmed your universal remote before, this is not a big deal.

In the end, we come back to the question we started with: Does it Work. The answer is definitely YES. But whether that’s enough for you largely depends on how highly you value unifying your remotes.

Author's Note: I still have the PS3IR-1000 connected, and if anyone on HTF wants to ask about anything, I'd be glad to field my results, for what they are worth.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the review Matt! The inability to control a PS3 with my universal remote was the only reason why I went with a stand alone Blu-ray player. Its nice to see someone has figured out how to "tame the beast" and be able to reliably control the PS3 over IR. The X1 would be a complete no brainer, but personally I would probably spring for the extra $70 just to have the power commands to ensure that it would be bullet-proof for the wife and kids.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The company that makes it (Schmartz) was very big about macros. I had originally dismissed the whole concept; it just didn't make sense to me, I setup macros in my Harmony and so why did I want to program their device with custom macros?

But the more I've played with it, the more I realized there is actually a decent point to it - the playstation 3 doesn't weave through menus nearly as fast as I wish it did, and having a macro setup in the device meant I could put my Harmony back on the dock and walk out of the room while the thing goes through the commands .. I've even got it sorted out with a macro now to check for any updates.. which is kind of worthless at the moment (damn you PSN!!!) but when PSN comes back could be pretty nice. I'll have to play with the functions more..

The little unit is the kind of thing I think works best in a bedroom. The big function it misses is the PS button (turn on/off, and back out of an app easily). Those aren't killers, and if you're in a small room, it doesn't matter.

My wife -loves- the Harmony, so having everything in one remote makes life a heck of a lot easier. I just wish I could justify the Harmony 1100 out of it ;)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
PSN is back for me. Try it again.

Interesting device for those who might need it. I actually LOVE that the PS is bluetooth--allows me to put it in the kids playroom and hook it up in the 'man-cave' at the same time. Bluetooth remote means I don't have to be in the same room (also solves the fan noise issue--I have an SACD capable "fat" PS3 that is on the noisy side for music playback).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks