What's new

Your Most Meaningful Movies--And Why (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What are some movies meaningful to you--and why?

In 1978 my father and I went to see CAPRICORN ONE, a movie about a faked Mars landing. The movie wasn't brilliant by any stretch, but as it turned out, it was the first movie my dad and I ever saw together, just the two of us. And as it turned out, it was the last movie we saw together, as well.

You would have had to know my father. Virtually everyone who met him loved him. There was no put on with him. He was plain spoken--an spoke spontaneously. He made whoever he was talking to feel like the most important person in the world.

So we're sitting in the theater that night and Sam Waterston is trying to escape from the men hunting him down. If he's caught, he'll be killed. And he's determinedly climbing this sheer rock face, telling a long joke to himself. When he finally gets to the top, the bad guys are sitting there in their helicopter, patiently waiting for him. And my dad blurted out, "Oh man! The poor guy!"

The people sitting around us cracked up.

I still watch CAPRICORN ONE to this day, usually once a year, with the lights out, and remember that wonderful evening when I had my dad all to myself. I was the youngest of two sons, and usually I ended up with my mother. My older brother got to hang out with my dad most of the time, but for some reason, that night, my mom and brother were somewhere else. It was just me and my dad.

Shortly thereafter I got the LP soundtrack to the movie. I remember my dad came into the room when I was listening to it. I told him where the music matched certain scenes. He thought it was neat that I could remember the music like that. He did live to see me make my first student movies, and he knew I planned to move to Hollywood. But then life swerved fast, and he was gone. I was still a teenager.

Tonight I just got the BD of CAPRICORN ONE. I admit I'm disappointed it doesn't have the director's commentary. I have the 2002 DVD but apparently it's the DVD released between the one I have and the more recent BD that has the commentary on it. I'm about to turn off the lights, put on the show, and see it as I've never seen it before, probably clearer than it was that night in the theater.

I love that the movie hasn't changed, and still reminds me of that wonderful evening with my dad.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

One of the most meaningful movies to me is Peter Weir's The Year of Living Dangerously, which I saw with my sister when it was released in 1982. I don't have a touching story like you do, but that movie hit me in the head and heart. And its depiction of the dangers of a third-world country came true for me when I was living in Nigeria with my wife for five months a decade later. The suffering there is almost beyond belief. And we had trouble getting out of the country when it was time to go. It wasn't as dramatic as what's found in the film, but it was scary enough....

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
benbess said:
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

One of the most meaningful movies to me is Peter Weir's The Year of Living Dangerously, which I saw with my sister when it was released in 1982. I don't have a touching story like you do, but that movie hit me in the head and heart. And its depiction of the dangers of a third-world country came true for me when I was living in Nigeria with my wife for five months a decade later. The suffering there is almost beyond belief. And we had trouble getting out of the country when it was time to go. It wasn't as dramatic as what's found in the film, but it was scary enough....
I Love The Year Of Living Dangerously/ Wonderful film, and I'm scratching my head why this beauty hasn't found its way to Blu-Ray yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks