What's new

You walk in to your favorite hi-fi store and fine Blue Jeans Cable on the shelf... (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
...they still carry hi-end stuff to satisfy clients who want that stuff, but you find they carry a full selection of Blue Jeans (or your favorite internet cable company) cables.

The kicker is, they cost 25% more, as you now have them in a retail enviornement and need to charge more so both Blue Jeans and the store make a profit.

Remember, this is a nice hi-fi/home theater shop that you really like, they always cut you a deal when you want to buy.

Would you be willing to pay a bit more to get the cables on the spot, or would you just order off the internet? A 6 foot component cable is $60 instead of the $48 it is on their site. Would you buy at the local shop you like?

On the site, you need to pay shipping, in the store, sales tax.

Just testing the water to see what you think.

I would, especially because you are supporting a dealer you like, it is not snake oil cable, and the convenience is great for you. Win win for everyone.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I am hypercurious to the reply. I am currently working w/ a dealer.
Any dealer could make a Blue Jeans-like cable and sell it direct.

My experiences have always been price rules and service is icing, but not even remotely weighted w/ price.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I buy all my cables online now, and most of them from BlueJeans. I cant think of a situation where I would need to buy cables from a local retailer? If I am hooking up new equipment I know what connections I need and will order the cable ahead of time it only takes 3 days to get to me from Bluejeans usually. And yes price is the deciding factor w/ service making or breaking the deal.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
If the markup is 25%, the answer is 'no'. There's nothing that I want that couldn't wait an additional day or two, if it meant saving a few bucks. With online prices being far more competitive, there's little incentive in ordering certain items at B&M locations.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, if there actually were such a dealer in my area and i was in need of said cable, i would definitely do business with the dealer. i'm an instant gratification kinda guy. plus what some people seem to be forgetting is that by purchasing online, you are not stimulating your LOCAL economy. no money coming into town means more businesses leaving town.

kevin t

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The marketing strategy here is people will pay more for certain items if they can take it home with them right away. 25%, no I would not pay for it but 10 to 15% I would. Blue Jean Cables is on my top 5 list for cables and not waiting for it (too me) is worth the extra money.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd buy online. I have enough spare cables that I don't think I would EVER need one right now.

If I were building a new system from scratch, that's a different story. IMO, a premium over their already low prices would still be reasonable.

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't looked at the blue jeans site extensively, but how much is shipping for that $48 cable? It might be included, but just something to consider.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Still less than a 25% markup, depending on where you live relative to their shipping address, especially if there happens to be no tax.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I do A/V installations as a side-job, and would definitely welcome the ability to purchase BlueJeans cables locally. I stock all the basics, but invariably I need something I don't have, and need to go out anyway.

Most people I do setups for(mainly HTiB's) would not want to spend the money on BJC, but for those that do, I'd like the option of purchasing locally. I do feel BJC's are very high quality at very reasonable prices- I use their component cables on my STB and DVD player.

I would also mention that when I ordered cables from BlueJeans with standard shipping, they arrived very quickly.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I would definitly welcome that option and think it would be a very wise move. When I buy cables I usually often want them right away to go with some change or new piece of gear for which I forgot to plan for the cabling needs in advance. I'd love to be able to pick up BlueJean cables locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks