What's new

You are the weakest link . . . Bye-Bye ! ! ! (1 Viewer)

Ron RB

Auditioning
What is the weakest link in your system?
Mines was my CD player.
I was using a Technics SL-PD688 5 disc CD player and decided to take the plunge. I purchased a Sony SCD-C555es, what a difference. My soundstage has really opened up, music imaging is more precise and detailed. I am very happy with this purchase.
My System
B&K Ref 7270
B&K Ref 30
Samson 1000
NHT VT2.4 (front)
NHT VS2.4 (center & rears)
NHT CI1.5 (sides)
Pany RP91
Sony SCD-C555es
SVS 20-39+ (pair)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, congratulations on your purchase. There is no doubt that the 'C555ES will outdo a budget Technics player. Have you tried the 'C555ES with SACDs yet? If not, then you are in for a real treat. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Gotta be my old cheap double cassette Teac tape deck & believe it or not my record/play 8 track tape deck (yep, I know really dating myself). I haven't really used either one in years, but I figured why throw them out they both still work & who knows maybe I might want to dub someone's old tapes in the future. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mine is probably my CD player, too. I have a Sony CDP-C445 5-disc CD carousel player that is probably at least 7 years old. It's only saving grace is that it has a digital optical output, so I can at least take advantage of the better DACs in my receiver.

Rob, I am eyeing the baby brother of your new player, the Sony SCD-C222es, as my next upgrade. It's either that, or convincing my wife that two more B&W 602 speakers (for center rear surrounds) will not look too bad in our family room.

Ron RB

Auditioning
KeithH,

The Sony came with two SACD's, they do sound very good. I visited my local music stores and found the SACD selection very limited.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'd have to say my Velodyne CT-120 sub. But, that will change very soon, if you click on over to the D.I.Y. section you will notice my 3 page sonotube thread. This weekend I start building it using a 15" Tempest and a 250watt plate amp. I'm excited to start construction.
Peace Out~:D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I'd say my "Audiosource SW Three" sub... My dad got it awhile ago from DAMARK (yaknow that magazine order thing) of all places... its okay, but im sure a new SVS would sound a billion times better...
Or it could be my TV... its like more than 12 years old now, yeah thats my weakest link... But its not really the TV that sucks, its the age of it... so i could go either ways.. my sub just sucks period

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would have to say my weakest link is the 3 year old Yamaha receiver I use as a pre/pro. It's just not as flexible as the new products on the market. I will probably replace it with the Outlaw 950 or the Sunfire Theater Grand III.

Hey Ron-P,

You won't be disappointed. I had a Shiva and then a Tempest based sub and it's amazing how low they can go with the right alignment. Plus there's alot of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself(with a little help from your friends, of course). Good luck with the project.

DJ

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Excepting my cable STB, my RP-91 is my weakest link from a DVD-A perspective (may be your new weakest link as well, Ron). Hope to remedy this with a modded universal player. Then my 'C555ES would become the weakest link (or more accurately, disposable) - ironic.

Doug

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well Im pretty sure my weak link is my speakers :frowning:
Ive got a Yamaha S2300 universal dvd player, a PS2, a Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver, a Toshiba 36HFX71 tv, and my speakers are a set of PSB Alpha Intro's and a PSB Alpha Subzero.
Ah I cant wait till i get a bigger place and can fit better speakers in it.

Until recently, my weak link was the cd player as well. I just got a Sony XA7es and it sounds much better on cds than the Pioneer dvd player I have. I was reluctant to shell out the money for a fancy cd player, but it was worth it.

The rest of my system (two channel): EFE T-60 speakers, two bridged ATI 1502 amps, Sony TA-E90es preamp, Pioneer DV-563a dvd player, Dual turntable, oh, and a cheap RCA tv set.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I've just changed my Paradigm PDR8 (bought new 3 years ago Christmas) to a (previously enjoyed) NHT SUB 2.

It's not really fair to call it the weakest link, because it's a great little sub but my HT has changed in that I now have 4ohm speakers and not that I hear a difference but I have a sense that the 500w Sunfire amp in the NHT and its 8hz diff taxes the processor less. I really only own 3 or 4 dvds where I can use the extra juice and even then only one is a constant need.

For music their both great but quite frankly I never really had a cd player, so I went directly to dvd-a and sacd and really can't understand what the bass management issue is all about. If I want it different I turn it up or down from either the sub itself or (in the case of the NHT) the controller, but for me, as long as I enjoy the music it's wonderful in either format.

I guess my entry level JVC Fa92sl 7disc dvd-a and S0ny dvp-nc650v 5disc mltich sacd players could in many peoples minds be called weak (I don't use either for video), but, thanks to 2 sets of analog in's on my Denon, the rest of the planet can play with their digitailia to their hearts content, I ain't budging.

Peter m.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
My weakest link is the same a David J's, the Yamaha RX-V596 receiver I'm using as a pre-pro. Unfortunately, it's going to be a while before I can replace it.

Keir H

Second Unit
Mine has to be like alot of you guys have put here thus far..using a dvd player (JVC 723) for cd playback..it sounds just OK i think and I am interested in something better but not sure of going to an inexpensive multi format player is the key either.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Stop it! It hurts!!

I have the pio DVD525 and an older (10 years) technics carousel and I love them both.

Now I have to hate them?

Does anybody think the pio 563 would be better than the 525?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Well I've kinda been upgrading my setup over the last 10mths. Currently is stands at:

Panasonic 47wx52(16:9 RPTV)

Panasonic RP82

Marantz AV560U pre/pro(Marantz RC5000i remote)

Rotel RMB-1095

Paradigm Studio 40v3

Paradigm Studio 20v3

Paradigm Studio CC470

Paradigm PW-2100

For DD/DTS I wouldn't say I have a problem. If I need any off the other new formats or maybe just upgraded processing power then the Marantz is the weakest link.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks