What's new

Yet Another DVD Player Suggestion Request... (1 Viewer)

Can anyone recommend a good DVD player (as opposed for those who ask for a "bad DVD player") that:

...has a disc changer/carousel (not a single disc)?

...not necessarily progressive scan? (Don't need it right now or the near future.)

...does not have the chroma bug?

...passes through DD/DTS signals(receiver can handle the decoding), unlike my old Sony S70000?

...plenty of connections (both digital and analog audio, for example)?

...plays DVD-Audio (and possibly whatever format Sony creates that particular week)?

...plays MP3 CD-Rs (and displays ID3 tag text)?

...plays DVD-R (especially those burned on a G4 Mac)?

..comes in black? (No silver, please.)

...is under $300?

Appreciate any suggestions or help anyone can offer.

Thanks!

Han

Second Unit
Welp, I guess I'll take a stab at it. One thing I keep hearing is, you rarely have to worry about the chroma upsampling error if you're just looking at interlaced DVD players. I can't remember why, because I'm only looking into progressive players.
As far as I can tell from glancing at your list, the only player I can think of, progressive-wise, is the now old JVC 95. I'm not sure where you can get the black one, as I've only seen the gold ones at Best Buy. You'd probably have to order it online. I'm sure there are a few more interlaced players that'll fit the bill for you.

Appreciate the suggestion. The only JVC 95 I found is the 7 disc changer, and I've read there are many problems with with carousel mechanism. Do you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions?

DaleV

Agent
You might want to look at the Sony DVP-NC650V. No DVD-A but it does have SACD,and will play CD,CDRs and CDRW. Saw them at Best Buy this weekend for $249. I have one of these players and think for the money its the best changer out there. You can see one at Crutchfields site.

Thanks for the suggestion, DaleV... I assume the Sony DVP-NC650V has no problems playing VideoCDs? (Sony's seem to be quirky about formats.) Also, the 650 doesn't play MP3 files, correct?
My first DVD player was a Sony DVP-S7000, which I'd still be using today if it passed on the DTS signal to my receiver. That machine was a rock. :)

DaleV

Agent
Jon, haven't tried the Video CD's. The manual says it can play them though. Doesn't mention MP3's at all. It does say it can play DVDRW,SACD,VideoCD,DVD Video,CDR,CDRW,and CD's. For the money this player can't be beat IMO. The only complaint I have with this player is the slow layer changes and it is only a minor one. This tends to vary on the disc. Other than that the picture is excellent,the sound is very good,and SACD is awesome. It should be one to get and at least try at home. Like I said before for $249 at Best Buy what do you have to lose? If for some reason you don't like it, bring it back. I think you'll probably keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks