What's new

XBOX 360 backwards compatibility question??? (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ok,Im a newbie to the 360 console .Planning to get one next month.My question is , is an x box 20 gb hdd required for the backwards compatibility on old xbox games, and is it included when buying the system????

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I believe the Pro model comes with a 60 GB hard drive and the Elite model has a 120 GB drive. See the following FAQ link for info.

Xbox.com | Xbox 360 - Backward Compatibility FAQ

The info is old but I'm sure it still applies. Basically, updates are periodically provided that allow older XBOX games to play on the 360, so a hard drive is required. There is a link to a list of compatible XBOX games on the page that I have linked to.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks for the info.So,all I need is the hard drive connected to the xbox 360 and the games will play??? Or, do I need to install something from the internet which I dread ????

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You need to install an update that allows older XBOX games to play. You can do this by downloading the update directly from the internet or downloading an image file and then burning a disc. Another way of doing it is to order an update CD from XBOX.com. The details are under "how to play XBOX games on the 360" at the link I provided.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks Edwin, you were very helpful.There are rumours going around that current xbox 360 bundles include that application on a cd.I would prefer that actually, since I can never get any downloaded application to come out right for anything, lol.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Usually, when you buy a new game (for Wii, PS3, or 360) the latest firmware version for the console is on the disc. This way, if a game uses a newer feature for the console then you can still get the update.

You don't need an XBox Live account to connect to the internet with a 360 and get the firmware updates. It should be noted, however, that not all Xbox games will play on a 360 since the backwards compatibility is on a game-by-game basis as MS updates the 360.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Instead of opening a new thread, ill just ask this question here.Ive just ordered the xbox 360 package that comes with a 60 gb hdd. Does this come with any xbox360 live points in the package , or do I have to buy that ??? Because, I really want to downlad some of those old arcade games !!!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I finally got my console yesterday.When I play old xbox games on the 360, it makes some slight noise, is this normal???? I ask because when I play regular 360 games it doesnt do this noise at all.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
At least "Halo 1" worked just fine with my 360 Elite. Obviously I have the latest firmware and all that (I keep my consoles "up-to-date").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks