What's new

Pre-Order X-MEN Trilogy (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Done. One great movie, one pretty good movie and half of a decent movie. This'll come down another $10 by release date.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
X-Men is the granddaddy of modern comic book movies for me. It may look a bit dated and cheesy now, but they had nothing to look to for a template when it came out. I admire it for ushering in literally everything else.

X2 is in my top five comic book movies. Socially relevant, great action, a wide cast of characters and a great expansion from the first film. (The others in the Top 5: Spider-Man 2, Infinity War, Winter Soldier and Superman.)

The Last Stand...oh dear. There is a good story in there somewhere and, again, it tries to expand from X2. It gets maligned for being a pure popcorn film (I was very disappointed in it the first time around), sometimes rightly so. But the entire gang is back and I'm not going to give up a chance to see Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan share the screen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
X-Men is the granddaddy of modern comic book movies for me. It may look a bit dated and cheesy now, but they had nothing to look to for a template when it came out. I admire it for ushering in literally everything else.

X2 is in my top five comic book movies. Socially relevant, great action, a wide cast of characters and a great expansion from the first film. (The others in the Top 5: Spider-Man 2, Infinity War, Winter Soldier and Superman.)

The Last Stand...oh dear. There is a good story in there somewhere and, again, it tries to expand from X2. It gets maligned for being a pure popcorn film (I was very disappointed in it the first time around), sometimes rightly so. But the entire gang is back and I'm not going to give up a chance to see Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan share the screen.
It was the one film that re-started the comic book movies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It was the one film that re-started the comic book movies.

I view the Raimi "Spider-Man" as the one that brought on the "modern age" of superhero films.

There seems to be a view that superhero movies were a dead genre after "Batman and Robin", but "Blade" found a decent audience just the next year, and "X-Men" was only 2 years after that.

"X-Men" did pretty well but it wasn't a smash hit. It was #8 in a year that lacked any truly dominant movies.

"Spidey", on the other hand, was an actual phenomenon. #1 at the box office for 2002, and in a year that offered "Star Wars", "Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" movies, that really meant something.

"X-Men" may have given superhero movies some renewed credibility in the wake of "B&R", but I think it's "Spidey" that really launched the "modern age" and showed studios how huge the genre could be...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There would not have been a Spider-Man if there weren't an X-Men (or Blade, as you correctly mentioned). I'd be happy to call all three of those films the grandparents of modern comic book movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There would not have been a Spider-Man if there weren't an X-Men (or Blade, as you correctly mentioned). I'd be happy to call all three of those films the grandparents of modern comic book movies.
Right, to me X-Men paved the way for Spider-Man and I fully recognized it was a bigger hit.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'm not so convinced that "Spidey" wouldn't have existed without "X-Men". While "B&R" did damage to superhero movies, it wasn't going to kill them forever - they would've gotten a revival before too long.

Honestly, the movie that deserves the most credit for "superhero movie as popular event" would have to be 1978's "Superman".

Sure, there had been superhero movies previously, but none of them were A-level titles.

I can't even think of a notable pre-1978 superhero movie other than 1966's "Batman", and that was just a way to cash in on the TV series.

"Superman" created the superhero movie as big deal, and 1989's "Batman" reconfirmed that status after a few down years.

That's the difference between the post-"Superman" era and the post-"Batman" era: no other heroes really caught on in their wake. Plenty tried to score hits but largely failed.

I think "Spidey" deserves recognition as the trailblazer because it was an "event" ala "Superman" and "Batman", whereas "X-Men" wasn't,

This time successors did well, too, which is the big difference from the earlier hits.

Anyway, this subject is all opinion, but I just don't see "X-Men" as being a real trailblazer. To me, it was a placeholder that kept superhero movies in the public eye for a couple of years before another mega-hit arrived...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks