What's new

WTC should stay in spiderman... (1 Viewer)

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
...for all to see its splendor. Not to be digitally removed. It would be a more fitting tribute if the buildings stayed, thus showing the worlds determination to not be governed by fear. It was a magnificent building, and you can't go digitally removing an American icon just because it no longer physically exists. To me, it would be like editing a family photo in photoshop, and removing relatives and freinds that are no longer with us.
Please tell me I am not the only person thinking this...
------------------
Link Removed

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I think it will be removed for the simple reason that when a filmmaker goes to the trouble of planning, staging, shooting, editing and creating the effects for a huge action sequence, he doesn't want the audience to be having hushed conversations or audible gasps for during it. It's just too distracting. It'd be the equivalent of full frontal nudity during an important dramatic scene; attention is drawn away from its intended focus.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wes Ray started a thread over in the Polls area and I posted this very same thing, the World Trade Center towers should definatly remain in Spiderman.
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Keep them in.
If necessary, preface the movie with a card that reads to the effect of,
"The scenes showing the World Trade Center buildings were filmed before their destruction by terrorists on September 11, 2001. The producers feel it would be disrespectful to the memory of those people who gave their lives in that tragedy to remove scenes from the film which display those buildings. We dedicate this story to those who gave their lives, to those that save lives, and to fighters of injustice everywhere."
After all, Spider-Man fights crime.
In fact, I'll state right here and right now that the producers of the movie can have that wording for free, if they like it. Consider it another contribution to the effort in NYC. Contact me via Ron Epstein (he has my e-mail address of course), and I'll even sign a form stating that you may use it, at no cost. (Not that their lawyers couldn't come up with a defense, if I tried to sue or anything! :) )
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Actually, that shot was made specifically for the trailer, and was never going to be in the movie anyway.
But I do agree that people are going way wayyyy overboard trying to tiptoe around the idea of New York at this point.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Why are producers/directors/studios/etc. even thinking about removing the WTC from TV shows and movies? What is the rationale behind their thinking? What do they believe as far as our reactions are concerned? And why does anyone even feel the need to digitally remove the WTC out of footage of New York? I just do not understand.
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

Scott Littlefield

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in addition to the emotional response that most people will probably have when they see the WTC again, I would imagine they also want their movies/TV shows to reflect the current NYC. The inclusion of the twin towers in anything either dates the events in the production before September 11, 2001, or suggests that the events take place in an alternate New York City.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I think it's a no-win situation. Either way, any shot of the New York skyline will remind you of what happened. I think we'll see a lot of movies staged in cities other than New York for a while.

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
True. It is a tough one. I hope that they will listen to all points of view though. I would hate to think that they have made this quick decision at a corperate level, without actually thinking it through.
------------------
Link Removed

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I would like to draw on another film which causes some people discomfort due to a real-life change: Bill Cosby - Himself.
When Ennis Cosby was killed, it was a tragedy. Anyone who viewed the film (with its sketches referring to his children, Ennis in particular) after that would be drawn out of the atmosphere. The film however, still exists unaltered.
For a while, since current events are fresh in our minds, Hollywood will be sensitive (for a change) to its public, but they shouldn't have to rewrite history by changing movies such as King Kong (1976), Sleepless In Seattle, or The Squeeze.
------------------
"Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"

Scott Littlefield

Stunt Coordinator
But, what if they rebuild the towers?

Then movies that are released, or take place, after the rebuild date should include the new towers.
I think many people are viewing the removal of the towers as a lack of respect toward the people that died. But I believe the filmmakers just want to reflect NYC as it exists today. Certainly older movies that are already "in the can" and released shouldn't be modified, but Spiderman (the topic of this thread) isn't finished yet. The movie will be released next year and if the WTC is present in views of Manhattan, and the film is supposed to take place in the "present day", certainly you could see how that wouldn't be accurate.
(I know, I know. The movie is about a man that was bitten by a radioactive spider and can now climb on walls, but I think you know what I mean when I say "accurate".)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Interesting to note that Sony/Columbia Tri Star has issued a recall of ALL Spiderman promotional posters and materials that include images of the world trade center.
20years from now, we may be making movies which take place in New York prior to these events -in which case the towers would be deliberately put back in to the scenery.
I liken this to filmmakers replicating the Titanic, or perhaps an American naval ship as in the film "pearl harbor" for dramatic accuracy.
This would have been an outrage in the time of these tragic events, but today many view these actions as a tribute (or an exploitation depending on the context of the film, and your personal P.O.V.)
There is no easy answer to this. Some people will feel pain at the sight of the WTC towers, and yet we can not hide from history and attempt to 'erase' evidence that the WTC towers ever existed.
I think to erase the WTC towers is more of a crime than leaving them alone. We may be doing the world more of a dis-service by attempting to cover up history than is our intention. What happened to the WTC is an extremely important event our nations history. We should look upon it and try to take away whatever lessons we can as human beings, and not attempt to hide from it.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 18, 2001 at 03:34 AM]

mark_d

Second Unit
You know, I've never been to New York but I -loved- the WTC towers and the skyline as was. I was likely going to go with my my wife next year and was looking forward to nothing more than standing right next to those magnificent structures. That's really pretty much all I wanted to do - I don't think my very poor head for heights would have allowed me up there.
I'm glad I've got that Spidey trailer, but I don't think the towers should be in the finished production. Both the trailer and the movie should be products of their age.
I'm afraid my ability to express how I feel is pretty cruddy so I hope I can get this sentiment across without sounding disrespectful: Jeremy Clarkson (a UK journalist known mostly for his passion for anything motorised) was discussing the Concorde crash a while back and he mentioned that while the human tragedy was tremendous, there was also a great sense of loss regarding the machine that was carrying them. When has anyone been upset at the loss of an aircraft? I think there's a parallel with what's happenned with the WTC. People are also mourning the loss of the buildings themselves. I know I am.
Wierd.
Mark

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
After my friends sister died, we made it a point not to "not talk about her" which I think is the case here. I dont like the idea of pretending they never existed and they are a part of NYC(I think they will rebuild them)skyline.
Its a tricky situation, I can see if someone went to the theater to get away and had to look at the WTC on a 20 foot screen how it would be upsetting(especially to those who lost family or friends there).
As said above it can also be distracting-while watching TV this past week a few films, documentaries(Superman, A&E,a few others that were cable) and what have you showed WTC in the background and my eyes were always drawn to look at them.
For me personally, I would look at it with a "triumphant feeling" to see Spidey perched on top of the WTC, but its still a very sore spot to Americans and will be for a long time-most would probally look at it as tasteless to keep them in there.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
[Edited last by JonZ on September 19, 2001 at 09:09 AM]

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Someone had mentioned above, and, I'm paraphrasing, that New Yorkers might be more sensitive to seeing images of the Twin Towers in movies, TV, etc.
This New Yorker would like to differ. I was actually really pissed off when I read about all the various movies and TV shows that are removing scenes with the WTC in them. It reminded me of the scene in the Ten Commandments where Pharaoh commands that all references to Moses be removed from "every edifice, every obelisk".
As mentioned above, it's analogous to removing pictures of loved ones who have passed away, in short, a re-writing of history. They did exist. They were beautiful and grand and should be remembered and honored by having them live on in our movies, TV shows, pictures etc.
I can understand the sensibility that is expressed by removing any shots with the WTC in it, but I adamantly disagree with it.
Regards
Steve

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy Clarkson (a UK journalist known mostly for his passion for anything motorised) was discussing the Concorde crash a while back and he mentioned that while the human tragedy was tremendous, there was also a great sense of loss regarding the machine that was carrying them.
Just to stress for non-UK readers - he's also got a repuation in the media as being a bit of an ass at times with over the top comments.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You know what, after reading all the other posts in this thread, and thinking about it some more, i'm reversing my original answer, the WTC towers should NOT be left in the film. Someone above hit it directly on the nose, to people who lost a loved one in those towers, it would be incredibly painful to see them again RIGHT IN THEIR FACES on a huge theater screen. It would be disrespectful to them if they were left in.
------------------
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks