What's new

Would you buy one of your Fav. Movies if it was ONLY on P&S DVD?.... I Did :( (1 Viewer)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Ever since WS LD's started coming out more and more in the early 90's I could never again rent or own a reformatted FF version of any title not yet alone my favorite movie !
bodymov'n :cool:

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I've passed up one of my favorite comedies - Doc Hollywood - because it's P&S only. Would love nothing more than to see Julie Warner in all her animorphic glory.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
I would never buy a movie in Pan&Scan. I never got into laserdiscs but when available I always bought the widescreen VHS if it was available... otherwise I passed.

Now thank god for DVD... let's hope it will last in its current form...

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Quote: "Has anyone else ever bought a DVD that wasn't available in widescreen, just because they enjoyed that particular title????"

I haven't - and I'm planning to keep it that way.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I never buy non-OAR titles from the big studios. Dangerous precendent.

However, I do purchase some obscure and forgotten films in 4:3 from Anchor Bay, Image, MPI and Rhino. I feel confident that these companies do the best they can at securing the best possible elements for older and rare films. Occasionally, it just isn't possible. Often times, if a 4:3 transfer is passed up, you'll be missing out on the film permanently. Again, this holds true only for low-budget genre and cult stuff... I hold the big studios to a much higher standard.

one pan-and-scan (The Pillow Book)
The Pillow book is a special case... the film has multiple aspect ratio, and the DVD does a great job of capturing all of them (within a 4:3 frame).

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm quoting myself here:
"Warlock" is a favourite of mine, but only available in pan & scan. I still have not bought it, in hope that they may someday release it in OAR.
If in 3 years, it is still not in Widescreen, I might buy it. I have the VHS of it right now, so I'm not in any rush, even if it is one of my favourite films of all time.
Well it's been 1 1/2 years since I said this, and there doesn't seem to be any widescreen release of Warlock coming, so I think I'm just going to give in and buy it! :angry: Has anyone heard anything about Warlock?

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
only if I don't think there's any way there will be a re-release. My only P&S title is Running on Empty which I don't see WB revisiting anytime ever.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
The only pan & scam that I have is "A Christmas Story," cause I thought they'd never do it justice. Now I find that they're coming out w/ a two-disc special edition in OAR, so I can finally ditch this crappy disc. Never give up hope! ;)
By the way, I'd like to apologize for supporting in any way the P&S frame...

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Fearless. It is, however, 1.66:1, so little is lost on the sides, and the framing seems OK. It was also $5 at Sam's Club, so not a big loss. The one that really irritates me, though, is Year of the Gun, which boasts a 1.66:1 aspect ratio on the back of the box and is STILL full frame.

This is my first posting to this forum, and while on this subject: whom do I contact about discs like this, especially Frankenheimer discs, which are usually done well? Year of the Gun and Dead-Bang ar both full frame transfers that need to get a decent release. YotG is Columbia/Tristar.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I've read most of the posts from all 5 pgs of this thread & I've only seen a bit about classic films that were orig 1.37:1. I own 3: Criterion's The Third Man, On the Waterfront & Citizen Kane. Not much is lost & there isn't any panning I can see in any of 'em. If these titles were anamorphed then the "black bars" would be nearly non-existant, like watching a BBC miniseries on A&E. So, I'm not broken up about these titles because I'm not missing much.

However, seeing as how I'm [rant]intensely[/rant] fussy about what films I buy, I will [rant]NEVER[/rant] buy a P/S DVD!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Basically, nothing is lost. Those films were shot before the widescreen era; they are fullframe to begin with. It would be just as egregious a "transgression" to release fullframe-shot films in widescreen versions.

Widescreen didn't get its start until 1952. Even still, not every film shot since then is widescreen.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Widescreen didn't get its start until 1952. Even still, not every film shot since then is widescreen.
And thats something a few members on the forum don't realise, I'm talking 2.35 widescreen, not barely a rectangle widescreen.
The horror film 'Warlock' wasn't made in widescreen, very little if any panning and scanning would be necessary for this film, if I was crazy about this film, I'd buy it now on dvd, and if it does appear in OAR in a few years time, I'd buy it again.
I bought Remo recently, unmatted region 1 copy, watched it with some friends, no problemo, if a special edition of that does get released [highly unlikely] I'd buy it in a second. Any version would be an improvement over the grotty vhs version I had.:)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
If you like the movie buy it. I don't particularly care for pan & scan, but sometimes you have no choice. My wife buys a lot of her movies in P&S (she hates the black bars). Whatever floats your boat I say. Do I detect some movie snobbery here?

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Do I detect some movie snobbery here?
I guess you could call it that, but you're a member of site dedicated to OAR releases, so maybe "purists" is more accurate.

I've had ample opportunity to buy a few of my faves in P&S (The Sting, Arthur, Summer Lovers) but have refused to give one red cent toward supporting these bastardizations.

Rob

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Let's see, I've done it for:
The Witches
Snowball Express
Meet the Feebles
Cross of Iron
and depending on how one feels about the Kubrick titles, you could count them, too.
...and I'll probably buy the open (side) matte Angel season two if it comes out that way, too. ;)
Regards,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

No, you detect members adhering to HTF's mission statement.

And, like Rob, Summer Lovers is a guilty pleasure of mine but I refuse to purchase the recently released DVD.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't even buy Indy or SW if it only came in P&S. I refuse to watch the tapes that way and got rid of them a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks