What's new

Wonderfalls 1.02 - Karma Chameleon (03/19/04) (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
From TV guide.com

New every Monday

Due to the volume of questions received, Matt cannot answer all questions or reply via personal email.

Wonderfalls

Question:

I want to thank you for your Roush Rave recommending Fox's new show Wonderfalls. I probably would not have known about this show if not for you, and I would have missed out. This show was a great blend of comedy (Jaye telling that snotty little girl at the fountain to "piss off"), intrigue (where is this chain of events going to lead Jaye, or will it lead her anywhere?) and romance (the bartender being so obviously smitten with Jaye). I love that Jaye is such a reluctant hero because, really, who wouldn't be when a wax lion is talking to you? I also liked the quirkiness of her family and look forward to seeing more of them. So my questions are, how many episodes can we expect for this season, and what do you think its prospects are for the future? I know it's early, but I'd really appreciate your informed opinion. — Emily

Matt:

The early reaction in my e-mailbag to Wonderfalls convinces me of one thing: This most cruel of TV seasons has come awfully close to crushing the spirit of those who treasure and root for offbeat TV. Almost without exception, every letter I got in praise of Wonderfalls was cushioned with the refrain (to quote Nathaniel A): "Unfortunately, this kind of interesting show is sure to be canceled. Nothing this good could survive on any of the major networks and of all the networks, I most doubt Fox's commitment to anything other than squeezing out a few episodes worth of positive buzz before killing it altogether." Or, as Jason L wondered: "My question is, should I bother becoming attached to it? I mean, it was interesting and unique (obvious comparison to Joan of Arcadia aside) and television today does not seem to thrive on those two characteristics. Add to this the fact that the show was good, and you basically have a death sentence."

A defeatist attitude to be sure, but how can it be otherwise when we're confronted with so much evidence: NBC airing an Apprentice repeat where the defunct Ed once existed; ABC reneging on its promise to give Karen Sisco a second chance; NBC still dragging its feet on returning Miss Match to the schedule (although rumors persist that it will reappear on Fridays sometime in April); the blink-and-you-missed-it second "season" of Boomtown; WB's premature cancellation of Angel just as it began to hit a new creative stride; and so forth.

As much as one wants to praise risk-taking producers and celebrate innovation, we can't live in a vacuum of optimism, and we've been conditioned to express a pragmatic-to-cynical awareness that this year, more than most, such shows are doomed out of the gate. If Fox had given just one of its post-American Idol slots to promote and deliver an audience to Wonderfalls, I might be more confident that the network will stick behind it, as it has (so far) with Arrested Development — a much-praised but struggling show that is considered very much "on the bubble" for renewal. (I'm hopeful, but am braced for disappointment.)

To answer Emily's question, there are 13 episodes of Wonderfalls, but given its underwhelming premiere ratings, it will be something of a miracle if Fox sticks with it and lets all of them air. (Remember Keen Eddie, and that run was cut short in the summer, when you would think ratings wouldn't be such an issue.) What is most aggravating is that the insipid reality show (Playing It Straight) that leads into Wonderfalls may also be considered a failure, but Fox almost certainly will allow it to play its ridiculous story to the end, a fate which experience has shown us is much less likely to befall a show like Wonderfalls, which needs and deserves more careful nurturing. The favored treatment given all reality programming, good and bad, is just one more aggravation of a very dispiriting TV season.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, now that I'm able to archive my ReplayTV files I can at least have the shows that I like around, networks be damned. I wish I'd done it sooner with shows like Karen Sisco and Miss Match.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I felt the same way after this episode as I did after the pilot. It had the strengths of the careening plotline and talking fish (though I missed the lion).

But again the characters prevent from embracing the show. Binky's sociopathic flip-flopping was a bit much, even in Wonderfall's stretched reality.

And most frustrating was the closing comments of the article, stating something like, "GenY'ers struggle to find their place in the world." I don't know where that came from. Jaye, standing in for all GenY's, makes no effort at all. She lives in a wholly self-centered world avoiding all struggle towards purpose.

I hope Jaye's character starts developing in the next episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks