What's new

Wireless Keyboards: Experiences; Best Brands; Etc. (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Believe it or not, I only just entered the realm of wireless keyboard use yesterday! When I was shopping at Wal-Mart to replace my old and no longer functioning wired Microsoft keyboard that I had been using as an external device on my Acer Laptop, I happened across a Blackweb Wireless Keyboard that cost around $24 pretax (My maximum price point, which I assumed meant getting another wired keyboard!), and decided to give it a try.

So far, my overall experience has been
positive, although it is an adjustment in figuring out the ideal amount of pressure to apply when typing. I haven't been able to find many reviews for my specific keyboard, as Blackweb is an exclusive Wal-Mart brand, as it turns out. What I do fully understand, is that this is very much an entry level wireless keyboard, which is really all that I need, as I don't do gaming, or anything else that really requires a more advanced (Translation: More expensive!) setup!

While my current plan is to stick with this keyboard, I do have 90 days to reconsider. Thus, I welcome any input in regards to what might be better, in terms of just basic inputting (If that makes any sense?), and durability.

This Is The Exact Blackweb Wireless Keyboard (Model # BWK2T), Which Includes A USB Dongle (Nano Receiver) And 2 AAA Energizer Batteries:
999999-81696012041_1.jpg

Note: For non keyboard applications, I use a Microsoft Wireless Mouse, and don't use Touch Pads (I use a Touch Pad freeze software program for the one on my Acer Laptop!), as I find them too much of a PITA to deal with! :P

CHEERS!:)

Last edited:

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have Logitech wireless keyboards all over the house. For use with a single Windows 10 PC, I am using a Logitech K350. It is a 2.4GHz RF Unifying Receiver keyboard. A Unifying Receiver mouse is used along with it, 6 devices can be paired with one receiver.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-keyboard-k350

For Android TV or Google TV, I use the Logitech K700, also a 2.4GHz RF Unifying Receiver keyboard.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/keyboard-controller

For use with the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Hub, I use the Logitech Harmony Smart Keyboard 915-000225 with another Windows 10 PC, Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV. It is used with RF, Bluetooth, IR and Wi-Fi devices.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/harmony-smart-keyboard

Those all may be discontinued by now, I have been using the K700 for about 5 years. All of the keyboards work well for my needs and all are durable.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The one minor annoyance with my Blackweb Wireless Keyboard is the bottom left snap (At least, that's what I call it--Of course, it's the one item NOT labelled in the diagram!) is less tight than the one on the right side. It's come loose and fallen out of the Keyboard twice, so far!

I also have some trouble with certain keys not typing, and with the space bar responding, but this may be at least partially due to my typing style? :P

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Believe it or not, I only just entered the realm of wireless keyboard use yesterday! When I was shopping at Wal-Mart to replace my old and no longer functioning wired Microsoft keyboard that I had been using as an external device on my Acer Laptop, I happened across a Blackweb Wireless Keyboard that cost around $24 pretax (My maximum price point, which I assumed meant getting another wired keyboard!), and decided to give it a try.

So far, my overall experience has been positive, although it is an adjustment in figuring out the ideal amount of pressure to apply when typing. I haven't been able to find many reviews for my specific keyboard, as Blackweb is an exclusive Wal-Mart brand, as it turns out. What I do fully understand, is that this is very much an entry level wireless keyboard, which is really all that I need, as I don't do gaming, or anything else that really requires a more advanced (Translation: More expensive!) setup!

While my current plan is to stick with this keyboard, I do have 90 days to reconsider. Thus, I welcome any input in regards to what might be better, in terms of just basic inputting (If that makes any sense?), and durability.

This Is The Exact Blackweb Wireless Keyboard (Model # BWK2T), Which Includes A USB Dongle (Nano Receiver) And 2 AAA Energizer Batteries:
View attachment 32319
Note: For non keyboard applications, I use a Microsoft Wireless Mouse, and don't use Touch Pads (I use a Touch Pad freeze software program for the one on my Acer Laptop!), as I find them too much of a PITA to deal with! :P

CHEERS!:)
The above is listed as compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and higher. The Blackweb Wireless Keyboard connected to my Windows 10 setup without a hitch, and I was able to use it for logging into this.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Oh Tony, to quote you "The one minor annoyance". This won't be helpful at all, but need to unload a bit.

I used to handle all the IT stuff for a company at my last job. 250+ employees. I chose the computers, laptops, software, phones, etc. If people didn't like it, tough luck, I wasn't going to support 37 different brands of PCs, keyboards, cell phones....I allowed one Mac in the company to make sure internet pages worked properly, but otherwise 100% MS.

But one woman had to get her way. Bought some goofy wireless keyboard and mouse, then bitched to me when it didn't work. Calling her a minor annoyance is probably the most polite thing I could say.

But I do agree with others, Logitech never failed me.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oh Tony, to quote you "The one minor annoyance". This won't be helpful at all, but need to unload a bit.

I used to handle all the IT stuff for a company at my last job. 250+ employees. I chose the computers, laptops, software, phones, etc. If people didn't like it, tough luck, I wasn't going to support 37 different brands of PCs, keyboards, cell phones....I allowed one Mac in the company to make sure internet pages worked properly, but otherwise 100% MS.

But one woman had to get her way. Bought some goofy wireless keyboard and mouse, then bitched to me when it didn't work. Calling her a minor annoyance is probably the most polite thing I could say.

But I do agree with others, Logitech never failed me.
When you mentioned the woman with the "goofy wireless keyboard" I pictured one of those mat style keyboards that look like could break if breathed on the wrong way! :D

I think she had some cheek in complaining to you about her own peripherals not working! What a huge PITA that must have been for you!

Logitech and Microsoft seem on a pretty even par, in terms of reliable peripheral hardware devices. I've just spotted some Wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combos on Amazon Canada in the $20 - $30 range, which surprises me a bit, but then I'd never really previously looked into Wireless Keyboards, and frankly stumbled onto the one I did purchase at our Wal-Mart. One of the combo sets actually costs less than what I paid for only a Keyboard. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
When you mentioned the woman with the "goofy wireless keyboard" I pictured one of those mat style keyboards that look like could break if breathed on the wrong way! :D

I think she had some cheek in complaining to you about her own peripherals not working! What a huge PITA that must have been for you!

Logitech and Microsoft seem on a pretty even par, in terms of reliable peripheral hardware devices. I've just spotted some Wireless Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combos on Amazon Canada in the $20 - $30 range, which surprises me a bit, but then I'd never really previously looked into Wireless Keyboards, and frankly stumbled onto the one I did purchase at our Wal-Mart. One of the combo sets actually costs less than what I paid for only a Keyboard. :rolleyes:

OMG Tony, you just reminded me of another situation. A woman at the same company I was complaining about kept pestering me about "peripheral devices". It was hilarious, she had absolutely no idea what the word "peripheral" meant.

Luckily I'm very tolerant and relaxed, but sometimes you just want to pull out a gun and shoot the stupid people.

To this day still remember her. She was just a programmer, which I also did, but she constantly had to correct people, she was a "Systems Analyst". Who gives a rat's ass. I know I should "let it go", but certain things just stick in your mind.

She was a huge smoker. She didn't just inhale the smoke, she sucked down a cigarette like it was a breathing tube. Thankfully anti-smoking laws were passed and life got much better for the rest of us.

Even now, I have to get a breath of fresh air, hold it in, then walk through the crowd of smokers that are outside public buildings.

Sorry for my rambling.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is the Logitech Wireless Keyboard that I was referring to:
https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-920-...ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467560201&sr=1-6

I'm debating about exercising Wal-Mart's current 90 day return policy, as I'm really liking this one for the current price point!

My only question is, is the Unifying Receiver as reliable as indicated? If there aren't any issues with the Mouse and Keyboard playing nicely together and separately and both devices reliably respond with the UR, this might be my tipping point!

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I just saw this item isn't Amazon Direct, and the shipping is more than I'd want to pay out!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony,

If you are going to buy a keyboard for day to day use, quality really matters, particularly the "feel" of the keys. This is my favorite productivity keyboard by far, and is also illuminated for late night HTF posting!

http://****/299KEBO

Hi Dave!

That Logitech keyboard looks fantastic, and would be a great candidate for me, except for two things:

1. My ongoing level of available funds just won't allow for a keyboard priced at nearly $70. While I'd love to have the backlit keys feature, I just keep a single light on for late night postings, which for me is good enough.

2. I also noticed that the Logitech Keyboard isn't wireless. Although I wasn't looking for one, now that I've had a taste of using a wireless keyboard setup, I really don't want to go back to a wired one, especially since I had to throw out my last Microsoft keyboard due to the wired connection becoming dislodged!

Thank you very much for your kind post, nevertheless!

Tony

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, I just had my first instance of non responsiveness with my Blackweb wireless keyboard. After typing posts in a number of Forums today, an attempt to do so on Facebook failed. As it turned out, moving the Nano Receiver from my LEXMA 2.0 Hub to one of the actual Laptop USB ports did the trick. For some unknown reason, certain devices connected to the LEXMA Hub will periodically cease to respond or read on my PC. That it isn't 3.0 has nothing to do with this, as the alternate Hub that I use is also rated for 2.0 USB connection, but rather seems to be an annoying quirk associated with the LEXMA 2.0 Hub, and I'm not sure that replacing it would make any difference.

Over the years, I've also found that certain devices simply won't function at all when attached to the LEXMA Hub (IE. My Pioneer Blu-ray Player/Burner), and I simply have to use my only free Laptop 2.0 USB port (I have a single 3.0 USB port on the other side of my Acer Laptop, that's already dedicated to another device!), which can sometimes be a huge PITA!

Hopefully, this proves to be merely an occasional hiccup, like what happens with my wireless Microsoft Mouse, although the latter hasn't given me any headaches, recently!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Well, I just had my first instance of non responsiveness with my Blackweb wireless keyboard. After typing posts in a number of Forums today, an attempt to do so on Facebook failed. As it turned out, moving the Nano Receiver from my LEXMA 2.0 Hub to one of the actual Laptop USB ports did the trick. For some unknown reason, certain devices connected to the LEXMA Hub will periodically cease to respond or read on my PC. That it isn't 3.0 has nothing to do with this, as the alternate Hub that I use is also rated for 2.0 USB connection, but rather seems to be an annoying quirk associated with the LEXMA 2.0 Hub, and I'm not sure that replacing it would make any difference.

Over the years, I've also found that certain devices simply won't function at all when attached to the LEXMA Hub (IE. My Pioneer Blu-ray Player/Burner), and I simply have to use my only free Laptop 2.0 USB port (I have a single 3.0 USB port on the other side of my Acer Laptop, that's already dedicated to another device!), which can sometimes be a huge PITA!

Hopefully, this proves to be merely an occasional hiccup, like what happens with my wireless Microsoft Mouse, although the latter hasn't given me any headaches, recently!

Tony - sorry, I linked the wrong one, though it is a little expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...sr=1-2&keywords=logitech+illuminated+keyboard

It is a fantastic investment you can type on for years.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just the other day, I noticed that the number pad on the right side of my keyboard no longer works. Toggling by pressing the Num Lock key turn off/on the surrounding keys other than the decimal key, yet NONE of the numbers will work. Can anyone explain to me why this is? I'm hoping there might be some other explanation besides "Your Keyboard is becoming El Defecto!" If that portion of my keyboard IS failing, I would have thought the entire right hand section would be affected, not just the numbers and the decimal! While I have another month or so to exchange this, I'm hoping that doesn't prove necessary.

EDIT: What may be of some significance is that I can get the same Num Pad to function on my Wife's Windows 8.1 setting, yet it won't work with my Windows 10. Our PCs are otherwise identical!

Don't bloody well tell me this yet another effing Windows 10 PITAS issue! :P

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This is the Logitech Wireless Keyboard that I was referring to:
https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-920-...ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467560201&sr=1-6

I'm debating about exercising Wal-Mart's current 90 day return policy, as I'm really liking this one for the current price point!

My only question is, is the Unifying Receiver as reliable as indicated? If there aren't any issues with the Mouse and Keyboard playing nicely together and separately and both devices reliably respond with the UR, this might be my tipping point!

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I just saw this item isn't Amazon Direct, and the shipping is more than I'd want to pay out!

Pardon my lack of experience with this, but everyone keeps mentioning a receiver. Is that like a USB device that allows the wireless keyboard and mouse to work?

I can't stand my laptop keyboard, and just looking at the touchpad will set off all kinds of things. Emails get zapped, the font changes size, mystery internet pages will open. I already use a mouse, but its a wired one, connecting to a USB port. But I'd love to go completely wireless, not even use the laptop screen. I can plug in an HDMI cable and use my TV. It would be great to have a mouse and keyboard so the laptop would provide the computing power, but not much else.

I just have no idea where to start.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Pardon my lack of experience with this, but everyone keeps mentioning a receiver. Is that like a USB device that allows the wireless keyboard and mouse to work?

I can't stand my laptop keyboard, and just looking at the touchpad will set off all kinds of things. Emails get zapped, the font changes size, mystery internet pages will open. I already use a mouse, but its a wired one, connecting to a USB port. But I'd love to go completely wireless, not even use the laptop screen. I can plug in an HDMI cable and use my TV. It would be great to have a mouse and keyboard so the laptop would provide the computing power, but not much else.

The receiver is the USB device. I have no idea how reliable the various models are with respect to these, as my Wireless Keyboard and Mouse use separate USB dongles.

Not long after we bought our Laptops a few years back, I had TouchFreeze installed onto both Laptops, which took care of any Touchpad related issues.

Everything else you mentioned is outside my practical experience.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The various higher end, backlit Logitech options look nice... although I can't stand using new-style chiclet keys, which the mentioned K830 "livingroom" model has -- to me, seems like style over substance/function. Too bad Logitech has also succumbed to that trend or I'd consider getting that for our livingroom.

I do a lot of work/typing in a rather dark home office space (even during daytime... though that might change some soon enough), so a backlit keyboard would be nice, if not totally necessary -- don't ask me why, LOL, but I seem like like working in the dark (almost like the hometheater experience I guess, haha).

Stan,

I don't generally like using laptops either, but I'm stuck using one (w/ the worst possible trackpad ever and for-my-purposes barely usable 14" screen) for much of the day for work. Thankfully, my company understands enough to also provide everyone w/ a full-featured dock, so I almost never use my work laptop as a laptop, but just have it semi-permanently docked (w/ lid closed) w/ a decent 24-inch LCD, wired keyboard and mouse.

And when I bought a Dell XPS 15 for my son, I also bought him their new fangled, thunderbolt dock for that purpose (even though the XPS 15 is relatively pleasant enough to use as a standalone laptop) -- I also gave him my old, mid-level Logitech wireless combo (that I never really used) to go w/ it all.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using a TV instead of dedicated monitor for anything other than very casual or infrequent in-a-pinch or presentation-only type use. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to get a slightly disorienting feeling using a TV for general computing purposes from a substantial distance that yields smaller FOV and (I guess) different overall perspective than a monitor from couple feet away. That plus your TV might not be as optimized for most computing purposes as a decent monitor...

Having said all that, if you're perfectly fine using the laptop as a laptop, but w/ separate mouse instead awful trackpad, maybe just upgrading to a wireless mouse would be nice -- I might do that myself for the rare instances when I have to use my work laptop as a laptop.

_Man_

Stan

Senior HTF Member
[QUOTE="ManW_TheUncool, post: 4417912, member: 285995"
I do a lot of work/typing in a rather dark home office space (even during daytime... though that might change some soon enough), so a backlit keyboard would be nice, if not totally necessary -- don't ask me why, LOL, but I seem like like working in the dark (almost like the hometheater experience I guess, haha).

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using a TV instead of dedicated monitor for anything other than very casual or infrequent in-a-pinch or presentation-only type use. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to get a slightly disorienting feeling using a TV for general computing purposes from a substantial distance that yields smaller FOV and (I guess) different overall perspective than a monitor from couple feet away. That plus your TV might not be as optimized for most computing purposes as a decent monitor...

_Man_[/QUOTE]

Just happened to logon for the first time today, just seconds after you posted, not a stalker or anything weird :D

Only used my TV a few times, just to play DVDs, since my old DVD player didn't have an HDMI port (sold it for $20). Picture was okay, not great and sound sucked, but decent.

Never actually tried it a a monitor, but I'm guessing, like you said, wouldn't be very good. And I'm not going to play around with the settings. It's great for HDTV, but not going to mess it up to optimize it as a monitor.

Have a really nice, 21 inch CRT from whatever company had the parrots in the upper left corner of the case. It's a black case, kind of nice, not the usual beige and surprisingly a pretty decent picture. But defeats the whole purpose of a "laptop" when I have to go into my office and hook up the SVGA cable, mouse, etc. since no docking station.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks