What's new

wireless battery powered music system for bathroom (1 Viewer)

stevenn21

Agent
Real Name
steven
i want to listen to music in the bathroom, in the uk there are no mains in the bathroom and i dont want to run an extension cord in as this is in violation of my tenancy agreement not to mention dangerous.
must be battery operated!
so ideally im after a battery powered wireless speaker that can be controled by a server (like jriver for example) and play the music on my pc via the server
so i am left with a few options
option 1
a boom box geto blaster with a usb slot
pros: battery powered, not too expensive
cons: cannot connect to my network can only connect my digital music using the usb slot, would have to take it in and take it out everytime i used it, would have to load the music i wanted to listen to on to a usb stick. SQ unkown
option 2:
jongo s3 wireless battery powered network speaker (any other suggestions? )
pros: battery powered, connects to my network using wireless technology, cam leave it in the bathroom permanently, no need to load music on to it manually as it connects to my home network,
cons: no dlna so i dont think i can use a server like jriver to create playlists i dont know if cost is a downside as SQ is unknown(wireless sound isn't as good as wired in general),
option 3:

AS-TXRM Stationary Transmitter
im not sure if this is appropriate or not?
would have to buy Traveler® Series Speakers
do any of you have other suggestions or advice or had any experience with these systems
my system comprises of ca azur 551r receiver, azur 752bd player and the ca np30 network streamer the speakers are bx2's front matching centre with ca minx min21 as rears.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can you add in a Bluetooth dongle to the computer your music is on?If you can(and whatever that is, is 30ft)...you'll have many more choices.90%(If what I see in the US) is Bluetooth for cell phone-iPod.So, can you add it?

stevenn21

Agent
Real Name
steven
schan1269 said:
Can you add in a Bluetooth dongle to the computer your music is on?

If you can(and whatever that is, is 30ft)...you'll have many more choices.

90%(If what I see in the US) is Bluetooth for cell phone-iPod.

So, can you add it?
i have bought numerous Bluetooth dongles for my pc in the past and none have worked for whatever reason unfortunately.

i have come across a couple of viable options:

an Android tablet or phone with battery powered speaker. With the BubbleUPnP app you can turn the Android device into a full blown UPnP/DLNA streamer/renderer, that can play your music files from a UPnP/DLNA server such as the one that comes with JRiver.

pros: can select a speaker of my choice to ensure better SQ,
cons: would have to take phone in and out of bathroom when in use

Oasis Flow: Rechargeable Music Streaming and Radio System
pros: can stay in bathroom
cons: cannot chose speaker so cannot guarantee SQ

option 1 could be cheaper depending on how much i spend on the speaker i own an android phone option two appears to do the same thing albeit an all in one solution.

there are still some unknown variables

1: SQ and connectivity
2: wired or wireless speaker
it needs to be wall mountable or fit on a 10cm shelf(i didnt realise these speakers got so big and expensive!)

stevenn21

Agent
Real Name
steven
schan1269 said:
SQ and fit a 10cm shelf? As we have Chris Carter in the US... C'Mon man...
yes i know its size issue all over again im looking at the jbl charge its the cheapest of the 3 speakers i was looking at.

i dont want to spend much more than this its only for when i take a bath so it doesnt need to be great SQ but listenable i dont want to buy a £10 ebay speaker that would be crap i think with a slightly priceier option it should be acceptable

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I just want to thank you for using the phrase "boom box ghetto blaster." It's been way too long!

Anyway, good luck in your quest. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks