What's new

Will Disney Pixar do a recall on STD Ratatouille?? (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

It's a bit more complicated than just pushing the audio button, if that was the case I wouldn't be spending all my time on this..
Scenario:
press menu
find languages
find audio
select the top row
push enter
press resume movie

That is six steps not one ......

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

You're not getting it. You don't even need to go into the audio menu at all. Start the movie. Find the audio button on your DVD remote. When the movie starts playing, push it. With each push, you'll be cycling through the different audio tracks (which will be displayed on your screen). When you arrive at 5.1 English, stop.

In the case of Ratatouille, there are only two audio tracks. Pressing the audio button once will show you what track you're on (the 2.0 track). A second press will cause the player to switch to the 5.1 track.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

As has been repeated multiple times in this very thread, this doesn't work for many DVDs, including Ratatouille.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

I tested it myself last night on Ratatouille. Worked FINE. I'll admit, some DVDs lock this option out, but this isn't one of them.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

From my experiences, this is player and disc dependent. I never purchased this disc due to it's lack of substantial extras and high price point, so I don't know about this particular title. I have most certainly had problems with this on certain discs only to have it work fine on a different player.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I may be the last person on this forum that still has a 2.0 system rather than a 5.1 system, so definitely no complaints from me if the disc defaults to 2.0. Either way, I usually check the menu before starting. I don't see how this could even remotely be considered a defect of any kind. The disc is fully functional. It contains all of the specs that the packaging lists.

The comparison to Warner's "Superman" is pretty much irrelevant. They didn't recall "Superman" because it defaulted to one track over another. They recalled it because it was advertised as having the original 1978 stereo track on there, and it was mistakenly left off. Big difference between something not being on the disc at all and something being on the disc and just needing to press a button to get there.

I've been a member of HTF for five years or so and this is the first time I've ever read anyone demand a recall because they didn't feel like using the menus on the disc. Hey, I'd love it if all of my discs didn't include any forced trailers, FBI warnings, elaborate unskippable animated menus, or audio options other than the ones I planned on using, but I'm not exactly demanding recalls either.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
The notion that there is anything "defective" about this DVD kind of absurd. The default audio is simply a matter of preference. Disney may have done this intentionally when they realized that 90% of their audience for this title is families with more children than speakers.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
OK I have read all your rebutals.., and most of you are right, that this is not a recall item,, "but a laziness problem" .,., But let me ask you this:
Let's say that starting tommorrow all your DVD purchases from all your favourite and most respected Major studios were going to:
1. Default your audio to 2.0 dolby.
2. Hide the audio features within three layers of menu settings.
3. AND The audio will not 'on the fly' be changed on your remote control.
( when I use the audio feature on my remote I get a red circle
with a line through it on my screen, for a very small few DVD's, Ratatouille being one of them)

and let's throw one more on the fire here:
4. Be forced to sit through 5 minutes of commercials and ads that you cannot skip thru.. :frowning:

Will you still consider yourself lazy and the studios have a right to do this??

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm not sure why you are going into the menu at all when all you have to do is push the audio button once on your DVD remote. I have no problem changing the audio with the button. Maybe there is a problem with your player?

As has been said before, the majority of Disney's target audience doesn't have surround sound much less 6.1 or 7.1. Most Disney DVDs are probably still played through the TV speakers. This is Disney demographic. A 2.0 mix is going to sound much better through TV speakers than a player down converted 5.1 mix. Disney is just trying to reduce the number of returned discs for bad sound quality.

Doug

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
This whole post was just a late April Fool's joke, right?

I mean, someone can't honestly, seriously be complaining about something so trivial, can they? This kind of nitpicking at nothing is the reason why studio and DVD manufacturers throw up their arms and think consumers are NEVER satisfied, so why bother ever going the extra mile and doing ANYTHING the right way?

There are so many justified reasons to bitch and moan about an inferior DVD release, but it's this over-the-top drama queen fussiness that makes all of us DVDphiles look like we have nothing but time on our hands.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Do you actually own this title or are just talking about your current library of titles? I have 7 dvd players as well as PowerDVD6,, with 'some' dvd's the audio cannot be accessed thru the remote control., only thru the menu.
I get a 'red circle' with a line thru it,, kinda like the No Smoking symbol ...
On Powerdvd6 menu the 'audio is greyed out' only accessible thru the menu.. for this title..and a very few others i.e Kingdom of Heaven

I'm only trying to get some attention to the area of ''studio 'authoring' laziness" not 'Home chesterfield ' laziness... :)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

Your message is a bit vague or I'm confused on your message here..

Your player defaults all your DVD's to 5.1,, ?
or just The UPC code of # 786936727173 of Pixar's Ratatouille DVD ?????
like do you own the disc in question?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah I actually own the Ratatouille DVD and I have no problem switching between the audio tracks with the audio button on the remote. Just to be sure I tried it on the 9 DVD players I have in my house and it works on all of them including my portable DVD player.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks