What's new

Wii- Paper Mario!!!! (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Game is awesome guys.... Nice throw back 2-d and you can flip to 3D... Story is a tad hoekey, but fun never the less... Nice to see a Mario game on the Wii... Good warm up for Galaxy...

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I agree, Steve. I've logged a few hours on it since Tuesday.

Although some posters elsewhere have been uneasy with the mix of platformer and (modest) RPG elements, I think it's lots of fun, if occasionally long-winded in its story telling.

The action sequences have a classic Mario 2D platform feel; the addition of the 3D is much more than a gimmick; and they didn't feel the need to impose Wiimote movements on the game controls. It's a joypad-like control scheme and it works great.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm also impressed by Super Paper Mario on a number of levels (no pun intended). Not only does it do a great job with the 2-D to 3-D transitions incorporating different dimensions into the game play, but there is also some homage to the original Super Mario Brothers. At one point in Paper (I think it's in chapter 3) you jump down a pipe and find yourself in a world that is a replication of Super Mario Brothers level 1-2, but with the 3-D option thrown in! Very nice. I would bet that there are many other instances like this as well.

I have what might be a stupid question about the name of this game. What does the "Paper" in Paper Mario refer to? Is there some history behind it with Nintendo? My first impression is that since paper is 2 dimensional this might refer to the fact that Mario is able to jump off the paper into a 3-D world. I also notice that a lot of the graphics involve almost sketch-like representations (sort of like doodling, etc.) so maybe the "Paper" reference somehow has its roots in a "paper" sketchpad. I tried to do a Google search on this but all I kept coming up with were reviews and references to the game itself (all great reviews, BTW).

Are there any Nintendophiles out there who can educate this Old Guy regarding the "Paper" in Super Paper Mario?

Thanks in advance.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
/htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Paper Mario

The game's English title comes from its unique graphical style, reminiscent of older Mario titles, which features 2-D looking characters resembling paper cutouts contained within 3-D environments, with a full range of 3-D movement, hence the name.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Thanks for the response, Jean (and Jeff!). That's something along the line of what I was thinking. In any event, the ability to switch from the 2D to the 3D environment seamlessly in the Wii version gives a new meaning to the "paper" aspect of the latest version of this interesting combination RPG/Platformer.

I love it.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I picked this up since day one and have been playing it since then and enjoying it very much.

I'm at 7-1, but have SO much yet to accomplish with extras..I still have long ways to go to get 100% completion. Plus for some reason duing the level 6,I skipped a few levels 6-3 and 6-4

I think my favorite part is the Parallel world to Flipside...Flopside

Chris

Senior HTF Member
My kids (5 & 7) are totally enthralled with this game. The dialog in it is hilarious and listening to my kids act out the parts as we play makes it better. We spent the night playing, starting over for the kids.

This is a CLASSIC. It reminds me of everything I loved with the first Super Mario (NES) and is insane fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks