Why I am psyched for Return of the Jedi on dvd eventually...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Oct 23, 2001.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

No! It is not for the Ewoks. I loved the space battle scene at the end. I know most people disliked this one the most of the original 3. But, it was cool to see all of the different fighters (ie:x-wing, b-wing & a-wings).

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I agree. I loved the space battle as well. I love the whole movie actually. I like when the republics' ships come out of warp just short of Endor for the attack on the deathstar then they realize the shields were up. I love the combination of various scenes (the space battle, the battle on Endor, and the duel between Vader and Luke). Great stuff.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

3. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I still can't help but wonder how great the film would have been had David Lynch not turned it down.
    Jeff

4. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Maybe we could've gotten Dennis Hopper as the frequently swearing Emperor and the Ewoks could've danced around like the Twin Peaks midget.
    [Edited last by Britton on October 24, 2001 at 01:17 AM]

5. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

ROTJ is the best Star Wars movie of them all! My all time favorite movie!

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'll have to say that despite being a Lynch fan (I'd put Blue Velvet over Jedi in any all time greats list) I'm really glad he didn't get it. The Star Wars universe isn't ready for his particular brand of genius, and I strongly suspect it would have ended up like Dune, only more so, with the studio saying 'we love your work, thats why we hired you. Just don't do anything even slightly weird or freak the kids out, ok?'

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I've never understood why people were so down on Return of the Jedi. It's a highly underrated movie.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

8. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Well Jeffrey for me there a couple of reasons.
    This movie is basically the first redone with a bigger budget. I know Lucas wants to repeat themes but the creation of a second Death Star is a sign of creative bankruptcy. Surely he could have thought up something different!
    Ewoks - a foreshadowing of the kiddie element that Lucas has continued in TPM.
    The start of the multiple battle scenarios in the last act.
    This trend annoys me because it is a cheap device to throw in SFX shots rather than develop characters we care about.
    Even though the space battle scene is technically more impressive than the one shown in TNH it plays like a video game sequence. I don't know 98% of the combatants and have no emotional ties to them. Contrast that to TNH which concentrated on Luke and gave us something to hang our emotional hat on.
    This multiple thread technique is a writing copout. The same thing happened with the Batman movies. The first one was the best because there was only 1 villian. The rest had too many villians which blunts the focus of the story and character development.
    Another pet peeve of mine was the offhand way in which Boba Fett was finished off. Lucas used his comic approach of having the hero bumble his way through an action piece and yet still save the day. Another annoying trend he used ad nauseum in TPM.
    Based on what I'm hearing about Episode 2, the cavalier dismissal of Boba Fett in ROTJ is going to seem like an even bigger copout than before.
    You wanted to know why people are usually down on ROTJ - hope these thoughts help explain why.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup
    [Edited last by Lou Sytsma on October 24, 2001 at 07:31 AM]

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I heard someonce once say that Jedi is the weakest of the three films but has some of the best individual parts. I think that's very true.
    The space battle has never been bettered. Absolutely gorgeous shot dynamics going on in there. Perfectly paced. The only real downer is the destruction of Vader's ship, which really does look bloody awful.
    But I think my favorite scene has to be where Vader is reaching into Luke's mind and his following 'defeat' at the hands of his son. Williams' score in that scene is unbelievable. Fabulous stuff.

10. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

quote: ROTJ is the best Star Wars movie of them all![/quote]
    NOT!!! Clearly the best film in the series is The Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi has it's moments, but I loved ESB all the way through, especially its dark ending. I know many people's opinions on The Phantom Menace are based almost soley on their hatred of Jar-Jar Binks. In the same way, I must admit that much of my indifference towards ROJ is due to those damned Ewoks! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's
    [Edited last by Michael*K on October 24, 2001 at 09:15 AM]

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

quote: NOT!!! Clearly the best film in the series is The Empire Strikes Back[/quote]
    Again--Not! Clearly the best film is A New Hope. It is the one that started it all and revolutionzed the movie industry. It is also the one that doesn't rely on seeing the other films, i.e. it is self-contained.
    quote: I know Lucas wants to repeat themes but the creation of a second Death Star is a sign of creative bankruptcy. Surely he could have thought up something different![/quote]
    Since this creation is a sign of "creative bankruptcy" please cite some examples that would have been better.
    Sure, he could have thought of something different. The second Death Star is most defintely not a sign of creative bankrutpcy. The second Death Star showed just how tyrannical the Empire was. The Empire was able to do what they wanted, when they wanted. To maintain that stranglehold on the galaxy, it seems more likely that the Empire needed the threat of destroying planets.
    quote: Ewoks - a foreshadowing of the kiddie element that Lucas has continued in TPM.[/quote]
    Since when was Star Wars ever geared towards adults? On the contrare, it has always been geared towards a general audience, hence the "PG" rating.
    quote: This multiple thread technique is a writing copout.[/quote]
    Really? It seems to me that is more challenging to write in such a manner. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the writing in Traffic (which is a great film).
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
    [Edited last by Tom_G on October 24, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

13. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Also, if you listen to the TPM commentary, George Lucas likes to use the multiple threads in his movies, like in American Grafitti, and ANH.

14. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

15. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

16. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

18. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Jedi? 2hr rescue mission, HUGE space and ground battle with a lightsaber duel thrown in for good measure! I love it. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

19. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

quote: The Godfather Part II, Road Warrior and Terminator 2 were all superior to their predecessors. [/quote]
    I vehmently disagree. While all of those movies are good, they are inferior to the originals in regards to story. In the case of T2, it is the better special effects film, but the original has the better story. Moreover, each of those films could not have been made without the original.
    I can't think of one series of movies where the sequel is better than the original. Not even Aliens.
    quote: The storytelling and artistic design in ESB were much improved over Star Wars.[/quote]
    Examples please?
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
    [Edited last by Tom_G on October 24, 2001 at 02:28 PM]

20. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The biggest problem of Jedi is its repetition. I've never had a problem with Ewoks (love 'em) and love most of the effects, but the damn thing just seems caught in a loop.
    First, there's the whole second Death Star thing. Sure, if it almost worked the first time except for the one flaw, do it again and remove the flaw. But as far as storytelling goes it's boring. We've already seen an attack on the death star. Sure this one was better, but it just seems like a second draft. Not to mention that its destruction in both cases involve flying down a corridor and delivering a couple of well placed torpedo hits to bring the whole thing down.
    Then, there's the setup at jabba's palace. First the droids show up, meet Jabba and get 'captured.' Next. Leia and Chewie show up, meet Jabba and get 'captured'. And if that wasn't enough, Luke shows up, meets Jabba and gets captured. They all basically knock on the front door and are 'invited' in. Very repetitious.
    Then there's the 'revelation' that Luke and Leia are sibings. Besides that no one I knew (and I was in elementary at the time) had any doubt before going into the movie that Leia was the 'other one' Yoda spoke about, it happens at length where Ben 'tells' Luke. Then later in another protracted scene, Luke tells Leia. Sure she needed to be told, but the audience doesn't need to be told again, and certainly not at the lengths that it happens both times. Both of these scenes are overlong and the second is just superfluous audience info. Thankfully, when Leia tells Han at the end it's short, but it's no less extraneous information for us to hear again.
    BTW, I still don't understand the following Boba Fett has based on the movies we've seen him in so far (I have no idea what he's involved in in Episode II) when all he does is stand behind Vader in Empire and get his butt kicked by a blind guy in Jedi. I wouldn't consider that a complaint against Lucas, but reason why I didn't think (and still don't) much of the character.